Re: Fwd: தமிழர்களின் பாராமுகமும் உயர்வு நவிற்சிப் பார்வையும் - ஏற்பட்ட இழப்புகளும்- நீதிக்கட்சி

N. Ganesan

Mar 16, 2011, 2:46:04 AM3/16/11
to மின்தமிழ், cta...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 16, 1:11 am, "S.Krishnamoorthy"
<sundara.krishnamoor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> இரண்டு பிரதான சமூகங்கள் -
> மூன்று முக்கிய சமூகங்கள் என்பதே சரி. பார்ப்பனர்களைப் போலவே அரசு அலுவலங்கள்
> அனைத்திலும் நீக்கமற நிறைந்துள்ள நாயுடு-நாயக்கர் சமூகத்தை விட்டுவிடமுடியாது.

திரு. கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி,

உங்கள் மடல்கள் கேரளா தமிழ்ப் பேராசிரியர்கள்
கூறிவற்றை நினைவுக்கு கொண்டுவருகின்றன.
திருவனந்தபுரம் மன்னர் ஆட்சியில் எல்லா உயர்
பதவிகளும் நெல்லை தமிழ் பிராமணர்கள் வைத்திருந்தனர்.
அதை மாற்ற முதலில் நாயர்கள் சொசைட்டி ஆரம்பித்தனராம்.

இது சம்பந்தமாய்,
கனடாவில் பிறந்து ஆஸ்திரேலியாவில் சரித்திர
பேராசிரியர் ராபின் ஜெஃப்ரி பல கட்டுரைகள் எழுதியுள்ளார்.

Jeffrey, R. (1977) "The Malayali Origins of Anti-Brahminism in South
India", Indian Economic and Social History Review, XIV, 2, April-June,
255-68.

-------

Jeffrey, R. (1974) "The Social Origins of a Caste Association,
1875-1905: The Founding of the SNDP Yogam", South Asia, 4, 1974,
39-59.

Jeffrey, R. (1974) "The Temple-Entry Movement in Travancore,
1860-1940", Social Scientist (Trivandrum), 44, March, 3-27. Reprinted
in Social Compass, Louvain, special issue on religion and caste,
XXVIII, 2-3, 1981, 269-91.

NG

> 2011/3/16 கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி <krishn...@gmail.com>
>

> > திரு ஞான பாரதி!
>
> > உங்களுடைய வாதம் கொஞ்சம் தவறான அஸ்திவாரத்தில் எழுப்பப்பட்டது போல
> > இருக்கிறது.
>
> > திரு ஈ எம் எஸ் நம்பூதிரிபாத் எழுதிய Kerala: Society and Politics
> > புத்தகத்தைக் கொஞ்சம் படித்தால்,ஒரு முழுமையான சித்திரம் கிடைக்கும்
> > என்று நம்புகிறேன். ஆங்கிலேயர்களுடைய அரசில் அரைக்காசு உத்தியோகத்தை
> > ஏற்றுக் கொள்வதற்கும், ஆங்கிலக் கல்வியைப் பயில்வதற்கும், கேரளாவிலும்,
> > தமிழ்  நாட்டிலும் இரண்டு வித்தியாசமான போக்குகள் ஆரம்பித்தன.
>
> > கேரளாவில் நம்பூதிரிப்பார்ப்பனர்கள், தங்களுடைய பழமையை விடத்தயாராக
> > இல்லை. ஆனால், நாயர் சமூகமோ மாறுதலைப் புரிந்து கொண்டு ஆங்கிலக் கல்வி,
> > அரசு உத்தியோகங்களை ஏற்றுக் கொண்டது. இங்கே தமிழ்நாட்டில்,இதர
> > சமூகத்தவர்  அந்த அளவுக்கு ஈடு பாடுகொள்ளவில்லை. பார்ப்பனர்கள் மட்டுமே
> > தயாராக இருந்தார்கள்.ஆக, இயல்பாகவே, பார்ப்பனர்கள் இங்கே அரசு நிர்வாக
> > அமைப்பில் சேர்த்துக் கொள்ளப்பட்டது நிகழ்ந்தது.
>
> > ஒரு கட்டத்தில் இரண்டு பிரதான சமூகங்கள், (செட்டியார்களும்
> > முதலியார்களும்) அரசு நிர்வாகத்தில் தங்களுடைய ஆட்கள் இருப்பதன் அவசியம்
> > சௌகரியத்தைப் புரிந்துகொண்டார்கள். அவர்களே சமூக நீதிக்காக குரல்
> > கொடுத்த  நீதிக் கட்சியினராகவும், பார்ப்பனரல்லாதவர்கள் அத்தனை
> > பேருக்குமான மொத்தப் பிரதிநிதிகள் போலவும் தங்களை சித்தரித்துக்
> > கொண்டார்கள். இதற்குப் பின்னால், அப்பட்டமான சுயநலமே ஓங்கியிருப்பதையும்,
> > அதை வளர்ப்பதில் அன்றைய ஆங்கிலேய ஆட்சி முதல் இன்றைக்கு ஆளுகிறவர்கள்
> > வரையிலும் தொடர்வதையும் பார்க்க முடியும். இவர்கள் சமூக நீதிக்காகப்
> > போராடியது என்பதெல்லாம் வெறும் கண்துடைப்புத்தான்.
>
> > நீதிக்கட்சிக்குப் பின் தோன்றிய திராவிட இயக்கங்கள் பார்ப்பன எதிர்ப்பு
> > ஒன்றை மட்டுமே தங்களுடைய பொதுவான கொள்கையாக வைத்துக் கொண்டு வளர
> > ஆரம்பித்தது வரலாறு.
>
> > --------------------------
> > கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி
>
> > > On Mar 15, 2:26 pm, gnana bharathi <dgbhara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > --
> > "Tamil in Digital Media" group is an activity of Tamil Heritage Foundation.
> > Visit our website:http://www.tamilheritage.org;you may like to visit our
> > Muthusom Blogs at:http://www.tamilheritage.org/how2contribute.htmlTo
> > post to this group, send email to minT...@googlegroups.com
>
> --
> S. Krishnamoorthy- Hide quoted text -

naa.g...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2011, 9:52:36 AM3/16/11
to CTamil
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/people/personal/jeffr_rspas/

Robin Jeffrey, BA (Vic, BC), D.Phil. (Sussex)
Dean of the College of Asia and the Pacific, Director of RSPAS and
Professor
Email: robin....@anu.edu.au

Curriculum Vitae

Biographical Statement
I was educated at the University of Victoria in British Columbia,
Canada (BA, 1967) and the University of Sussex in the UK (D.Phil.,
1973). I first worked as a journalist on the Daily Colonist in
Victoria, BC (1963-7). I taught school in Chandigarh in north India
for the Regional Institute of English and the Canadian University
Service Overseas (CUSO) from 1967-9 before doing a doctorate in modern
Indian history at Sussex. I came to the ANU as a research fellow from
1973-8 and taught in the Politics Program at La Trobe University in
Melbourne from 1979-2005.

My special interest is in the modern history and politics of India. I
have written about both Punjab in the north and Kerala in the south
and have most recently worked on the Indian newspaper industry and on
Indian media more generally.

Research Interests
I maintain an interest in matrilineal societies, particularly in
Kerala in south India, which arose from my doctoral thesis, later
published as The Decline of Nayar Dominance. Having worked as a
teacher in Punjab, I was driven to try to understand the Khalistan
secessionist movement that arose from 1981. This resulted in What's
Happening to India? and a continuing interest in ethnicity,
nationalism and identity formation. My two other interests are
"development" in a wide sense (Politics, Women and Well-Being) and
newspapers and media (India's Newspaper Revolution).

My current substantial project is an account of India in the second
half of the twentieth century, based on portraits of the six years in
which the great Kumbh mela was held (1942, 1954, 1966, 1977, 1989 and
2001). Provisionally entitled "Slices of India," the project tries to
capture the drama of change by drawing attention to the contingencies
that decide what paths are followed and what paths, though apparently
promising, are ultimately ignored.

Teaching
I taught Years 6 and 7 in a government school in Chandigarh from
1967-9. I learned a lot and came to enjoy teaching. (Hockey with a
mango seed for a ball and tree branches for sticks is pretty
captivating when you're 22). I tutored in the Faculty of Asian Studies
at the ANU from 1973-7 and have taught first-year classes at La Trobe
every year I've been on duty since 1980. I have taught in broad
introductory "study of Asia" courses, as well as courses about India
and its neighbours, peasants and politics, nationalism and state
formation and media and politics.

Outreach
I have tried to work with school teachers (partly through the Asia
Education Foundation) and with media people. I try to accept
invitations to teacher professional-development activities. As an ex-
sportswriter, I enjoy trying to write for periodicals about issues
that I feel are important and that I know something about. At La Trobe
University, we founded a La Trobe Politics Society in 1993, which
involves staff, students, ex-students and the community and had run
more than 60 events with more than 100 speakers by the end of 2005.

Activities
I attended the foundation meeting of the Asian Studies Association of
Australia (ASAA) in the Coombs Lecture Theatre of the ANU in January
1975, edited ASAA's early newsletter, was organizing secretary for the
1996 conference at La Trobe University and have been an office bearer
in 1988-92 and 2000-04. I have been on the advisory board of the Asia
Education Foundation (AEF) since its inception in 1992. I am a Fellow
of the Australian Academy of the Humanities and of the Academy of the
Social Sciences of Australia.

Publications
Books
Jeffrey, R. (2005) indiayute patraviplavam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Languages Institute. [Malayalam translation of India's Newspaper
Revolution]

Jeffrey, R.(2004) Hindi edition, Bharat-ki samacharpatra kranti, New
Delhi, Indian Institute of Mass Communications, 215 pp.

Jeffrey, R. (2000) India's Newspaper Revolution: Capitalism, Politics
and the Indian-Language Press, 1977-97, London, C. Hurst; New Delhi,
Oxford University Press; New York, St Martin's Press, 234 pp. Second
edition with new introductory chapter, New Delhi, Oxford University
Press, 2003.

Jeffrey, R. (1994) What's Happening to India? Punjab, Ethnic Conflict
and the Test for Federalism, 2nd edition, London, Macmillan/New York,
Holmes & Meier, 249 pp.

Jeffrey, R. (1992/1993) Politics, Women and Well-Being: How Kerala
Became 'a Model', London, Macmillan; New Delhi, Oxford University
Press, 285 pp. Second edition, with new introductory chapter, New
Delhi, Oxford University Press, 2001.

Jeffrey, R.(coordinating editor) (1990) India: Rebellion to Republic:
Selected Writings, 1857-1990, New Delhi, Sterling, 510 pp.

Jeffrey, R. (1986) What's Happening to India? Punjab, Ethnic Conflict,
Mrs Gandhi's Death and the Test for Federalism, London, Macmillan/New
York, Holmes & Meier, 249 pp.

Jeffrey, R.(ed.) (1981) Asia - The Winning of Independence: The
Philippines, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaya, London, Macmillan;
reprinted 1987, 320 pp.

Jeffrey, R.(1979) nayar medhavitvattinte patanam [the decline of Nayar
dominance], Malayalam translation by Puthuppalli Raghavan and M.S.
Chandrasekhara Warriar, Kottayam, D.C. Books, 414 pp. Second edition
with new introductory remarks, Kottayam, D.C. Books, 2003.

Jeffrey, R. (ed.) (1978) People, Princes and Paramount Power: Society
and Politics in the Indian Princely States, Delhi, Oxford University
Press, 396 pp.

Jeffrey, R. (1976) The Decline of Nayar Dominance: Society and
Politics in Travancore, 1847-1908, London, Chatto & Windus for Sussex
University Press, 376 pp.

Articles in Refereed Journals
Jeffrey, R. (2004-05) "Legacies of Matriliny: the Place of Women and
the 'Kerala Model'," Pacific Affairs, vol. 78, no. 1, Winter, vol. 77,
no. 4, pp.647-64.

Jeffrey, R. (2002) "Communications and Capitalism in India,
1750-2010," South Asia, vol. 25, no. 2, August, pp.61-76.

Jeffrey, R. (2002) "Grand Canyon, Shaky Bridge: Media Revolution and
the Rise of 'Hindu' Politics," South Asia, vol. 25, no. 3, December,
pp.281-300.

Jeffrey, R. (2001) A[Not] Being There: Dalits and India's Newspapers,@
South Asia, vol. 24, no. 2, December, pp.225-38.

Jeffrey, R. (with Peter Friedlander and Sanjay Seth) (2001) A
'Subliminal Charge': How Hindi-language Newspaper Expansion Affects
India,@ Media International Australia, No. 100, August, pp.147-66.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Bengali: 'Professional, Somewhat Conservative' and
Calcuttan," Economic and Political Weekly, 25 January, pp.141-3.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Gujarati: 'Chequebook Journalism in Reverse ...',"
Economic and Political Weekly, 15 February, pp.319-22

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Hindi: 'Taking to the Punjab Kesari Line',"
Economic and Political Weekly, 18 January, pp.77-83.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Kannada: 'We Fake It There Is Competition',"
Economic and Political Weekly, 22 March, pp.566-70.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Malayalam: 'The Day-to-Day Social Life of the
People ...'," Economic and Political Weekly, 4-11 January, pp.18-21.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Marathi: Big Newspapers Are Elephants," Economic
and Political Weekly, 22 February, pp.384-8.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Oriya: 'Identifying ... with Newspapers'",
Economic and Political Weekly, 15 March, pp.511-14.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Punjabi: the Subliminal Charge," Economic and
Political Weekly, 1-8 March, pp.443-5.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Tamil: 'Dominated by Cinema and Politics',"
Economics and Political Weekly, 8 February, pp.254-6.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Telugu: Ingredients of Growth and Failure,"
Economic and Political Weekly, 1 February, pp.192-5.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Urdu: Waiting for Citizen Kane?", Economic and
Political Weekly, 29 March, pp.631-6.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Advertising and Indian-Language Newspapers: How
Capitalism Supports (Certain) Cultures and (Some) States, 1947-96,"
Pacific Affairs, vol. 70, no. 1, Spring, pp.57-83.

Jeffrey, R. (1995) "The Right Stuff: Leadership, Representation and
India's Parliamentary System," Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative
Politics, vol. 33, no. 2, July, pp.257-75.

Jeffrey, R. (1994) AKerala's Story: Review of Kerala: Radical Reform
as Development in an Indian State,@ Economic and Political Weekly, 5
March, p.549.

Jeffrey, R. (1994) "Monitoring Newspapers and Understanding the State:
India, 1948-93," Asian Survey, vol. 34, no. 9, September, pp.748-63.

Jeffrey, R. (1993) "Indian-Language Newspapers and Why They Grow,"
Economic and Political Weekly, 18 September, 2004-11.

Jeffrey, R. (1991) "Jawaharlal Nehru and the Smoking Gun: Who Pulled
the Trigger on Kerala's Communist Government in 1959," Journal of
Commonwealth and Comparative Politics, vol. 29, no. 1, March, 72-85.

Jeffrey, R. (1991) "Matriliny, Women, Development - and a
Typographical Error," Pacific Affairs, vol. 63, no. 4, Fall, 85-9.

Jeffrey, R. (1989) "Women and the 'Kerala Model': Four Lives,
1870s-1980s", South Asia, vol. 12, no. 2, 13-32.

Jeffrey, R. (1987) "The Culture of Daily Newspapers in India: How It's
Grown, What It Means", Economic and Political Weekly, 4 April,
607-11.

Jeffrey, R. (1987) "Grappling with History: Sikh Politicians and the
Past", Pacific Affairs, LX, 1, Spring, 59-72.

Jeffrey, R. (1987) "Culture and Governments: How Women Made Kerala
Literate", Pacific Affairs, LX, 4, Fall, 447-72.

Jeffrey, R. (1984) "'Destroy Capitalism!' The Growing Solidarity of
the Alleppey Coir Workers, 1930-1940", Economic and Political Weekly
(Bombay), 21 July, 1159-65.

Jeffrey, R. (1981) "India's Working-Class Revolt: Punnapra-Vayalar and
the Communist 'Conspiracy' of 1946", Indian Economic and Social
History Review, XVIII, 2, 97-122.

Jeffrey, R. (1980) "What the Statues Tell: The Politics of Choosing
Symbols in Trivandrum", Pacific Affairs, LIII, 3, Fall, 484-502.

Jeffrey, R. (1978) "Matriliny, Marxism and the Birth of the Communist
Party in Kerala, 1930-40", Journal of Asian Studies, XXXVII, 1,
November, 77-98.

Jeffrey, R. (1977) "The Malayali Origins of Anti-Brahminism in South
India", Indian Economic and Social History Review, XIV, 2, April-June,
255-68.

Jeffrey, R. (1977) "Bureaucratic Politics in an Imperial System: the
Rivalry between Two Indian Dewans, 1936-41", Journal of Commonwealth
and Comparative Politics, XV, 3, November, 166-85.

Jeffrey, R. (with David Arnold and James Manor) (1976) "Caste
Associations in South India: A Comparative Analysis", Indian Economic
and Social History Review, XIII, 3, July-September, 353-73.

Jeffrey, R. (1975) "The Politics of 'Indirect Rule': Types of
Relationship among Rulers, Ministers and Residents in a 'Native
State'", Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics, XIII, 3,
November, 261-81.

Jeffrey, R. (1974) "The Punjab Boundary Force and the Problem of
Order: August 1947", Modern Asian Studies, VIII, 4, 491-520.

Jeffrey, R. (1974) "The Social Origins of a Caste Association,
1875-1905: The Founding of the SNDP Yogam", South Asia, 4, 1974,
39-59.

Jeffrey, R. (1974) "The Temple-Entry Movement in Travancore,
1860-1940", Social Scientist (Trivandrum), 44, March, 3-27. Reprinted
in Social Compass, Louvain, special issue on religion and caste,
XXVIII, 2-3, 1981, 269-91.

Articles in Books
Jeffrey, R. (2005) "The Public Sphere of Print Journalism," in Nalini
Rajan (ed.) Practising Journalism: Values, Constraints, Implications,
New Delhi, Sage, pp.257-66. [Published as "Breaking News," The Little
Magazine, vol. 4, no. 2 (2003), pp.6-10].

Jeffrey, R. (1996) "The Decline of Nayar Taravads," in N. Jayaram and
Satish Saberwal (eds) Social Conflict, New Delhi: Oxford University
Press, pp.63-78.

Jeffrey, R. (1994) "The Prime Minister and the Ruling Parties," in
James Manor (ed.) Nehru to the Nineties: the Changing Office of Prime
Minister in India, London, C. Hurst, pp.161-85.

Jeffrey, R. (1990) "Anthikad, a Village in Kerala, 1947-87," in Jim
Masselos (ed.) India: the Making of the Modern Nation, New Delhi,
Sterling, pp.54-73.

Jeffrey, R. (1990) "The Perils of Prosperity: India's Dilemma in
Punjab," in R. Jeffrey (coordinating editor) India: Rebellion to
Republic, New Delhi, Sterling, pp.364-82.

Jeffrey, R. (1987) Articles on "Kerala", "Nairs", "Ezhavas" and
"E.M.S. Namboodiripad", totalling 2,000 words in Ainslie T. Embree
(ed.) Encyclopaedia of Asian History, New York, Charles Scribner's
Sons for the Asia Society.

Jeffrey, R. (1981) "Introduction: The Setting for Independence," in R.
Jeffrey (ed.) Asia - The Winning of Independence, London, Macmillan,
pp.1-22.

Jeffrey, R. (1981) "India: Independence and the Rich Peasant," in R.
Jeffrey (ed.) Asia - The Winning of Independence, London, Macmillan,
pp.71-112.

Jeffrey, R. (1978) "Peasant Movements and the Communist Party in
Kerala", in D.B. Miller (ed.) Peasants and Politics, Melbourne, Edward
Arnold, pp.130-48.

Jeffrey, R. (1978) "Introduction," in R. Jeffrey (ed.) People, Princes
and Paramount Power, New Delhi, Oxford University Press, pp.1-31.

Jeffrey, R. (1978) "Travancore: Status, Class and the Growth of
Radical Politics, 1860-1940," in R. Jeffrey (ed.) People, Princes and
Paramount Power, New Delhi, OUP, pp.136-69.

Jeffrey, R. (1977) "A Sanctified Label - `Congress' in Travancore
Politics", in D.A. Low (ed.) Congress and the Raj, London, Heinemann,
pp.435-72.

Lectures, Booklets and Reports
Jeffrey, R. (2003) Education, Multi-Culturalism and Globalization:
Australia, India and Asia. Fourth Dr S. M. Luthra Memorial Lecture,
Lady Shri Ram College, New Delhi, 14 February, 15 pp.

Jeffrey, R. (convenor and a principal writer) (2002) Maximizing
Australia's Asia Knowledge. Report commissioned by the Asian Studies
Association of Australia, Inc. on the study of Asia in universities,
Melbourne, ASAA, 72 pp.

Jeffrey, R. (co-author with 5 others) (1991) National Strategy for the
Study of India and Indian Languages. Report commissioned by the Asian
Studies Council from the Melbourne South Asian Studies Group, May, 86
pp.

Jeffrey, R. (1990) Asia Across the Curriculum. Report and
Recommendations of the First National Conference on Asian Studies in
Schools. Melbourne, 8-10 November. Report commissioned by the Asian
Studies Council, Department of Education, Employment and Training, 15
pp.

Jeffrey, R. (1985) The Perils of Prosperity: India's Dilemma in
Punjab, Adelaide, Flinders University, 16th Asian Studies Lecture.

Jeffrey, R. (1985) "South Asia Changes ...", background paper written
for and distributed at the National Conference of the Association of
People Interested in Asia (APIA), Canberra, 5-7 December.

Jeffrey, R. (with Rhonda Weinand) (1976) Asia: a Bibliography for
Secondary Schools, vol. III, South Asia, Canberra, Australian
Government Publishing Service, 45 pp.

Miscellaneous Publications
Between July 1979 and February 1982 I wrote more than two dozen pieces
on Indian politics for "The World" section of the Saturday Age in
Melbourne. This ended when the Age changed the Saturday format and
abolished "The World."

I have done ABC Radio interviews on current events in India
frequently. Since 2000, I have written frequently in the Australian
press about the need to renew Australia's capacity in its universities
to study and teach about Asia.

Jeffrey, R. (forthcoming 2005) Foreword to What Makes News?, Uday
Sahay (ed.), New Delhi, Oxford University Press (1,300 words).

Jeffrey, R. (2004) Introduction to Chandra Bhan Prasad, Dalit Diary:
1999-2003: Reflections on Apartheid in India, Pondicherry, Navayana
Publishing, pp.ix-xiv (1,500 words).

Jeffrey, R. (2003) "Need to know basis," Eureka Street, April, pp.
18-21.

Jeffrey, R. (2003) "Breaking news," The Little Magazine, vol. 4, no.
2, pp.6-10.

Jeffrey, R. (2002) "'No Party Dominant': India's New Political
System," Himal, March, pp.38-41.

Jeffrey, R. (2002) "Slicing India: new perspectives on India since
1947," Himal, July, pp.48-55.

Jeffrey, R. (2001) A Media Revolution and 'Hindu Politics',@ Himal,
vol. 14, no. 7, July, pp.32-41.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Passages from India", The Australian's Review of
Books, August, pp.6-8.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Making News", India Magazine, vol. 17, June-July,
pp.8-14.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "The Future of Indian-Language Newspapers",
Seminar, No. 458, October, pp.24-8.

Jeffrey, R. (1997) "Notes" for the politics section of The India
Connection, a teaching kit for high schools, Melbourne, Curriculum
Corporation.

Jeffrey, R. (1996) "Ad-men of India," Asia-Pacific Magazine, June, pp.
26-9.

Jeffrey, R. (1996) INDBIO. CD-ROM database of Indian national
parliamentarians, published by INFORMIT (work done in collaboration
with Ian Dawes, now of Australian Volunteers International, and
Cornelia Lenneberg, now of World Vision).

Jeffrey, R. (1995) "South Asia: Future Directions of Australian
Research", 3rd National Roundtable on Libraries and Asia. Issues
Papers, Canberra, National Library of Australia, 5 pp.

Jeffrey, R. (1994) "Press Gangs Curry Favour," Good Weekend, 29
January, pp.36-40.

Jeffrey, R. (1994) "Democracy in South Asia," History Today, vol. 44,
May, pp.43-49.

Jeffrey, R. (1992) "India after the Dynasty," Modern Times, June, pp.
6-7.

Jeffrey, R. (1991) "India's new prime minister," Australian Society,
January-February, pp.16-17.

Jeffrey, R. (with Meg Gurry) (1991)"Indo-Australian Relations," India
Perspectives (Journal of Indian Ministry of External Affairs), vol. 3,
no. 10, April, pp.29-33.

Jeffrey, R. (1991) "Back to the Indian future," Australian Society,
July, pp.23-3.

Jeffrey, R. (1991) "Why Teach About India?" Ethos, Journal of the
Victorian Association of Social Studies Teachers.

Jeffrey, R. (1990) "The churning sub-continent," Australian Society,
May, pp.33-5.

Jeffrey, R. (1990) "Prolonged birth pains in Kashmir," Australian
Society, June, pp.6-7.

Jeffrey, R. (1990) "The Senators' Indian odyssey," Australian Society,
September, pp.7-9.

Jeffrey, R. (1988) "The mystery of the Urdu dailies", Vidura, Press
Institute of India's Mass Media Magazine, 25, 1, January-February, pp.
38-40.

Jeffrey, R. (1987) "Indian Democracy and Development", ASAA Review, X,
3, April, pp.18-22.

Jeffrey, R. (1986) "Old and new images collide head-on in Punjab", Far
Eastern Economic Review, 10 July, pp.47-9.

Jeffrey, R. (with Lesley Jeffrey and Frances Wood) (1986)"A distant
vision: television in India", Study of Society, XVII, 2 November, 6-9
(unit of work for secondary schools).

Jeffrey, R. (1986) "The Punjab meltdown: three factors (and some
fallout)", ASAA Review, X, November, pp.137-44.

Jeffrey, R. (1984) "Learning Is Sold ... in India's Most Literate
State", Far Eastern Economic Review, 19 July, pp.78-9.

Jeffrey, R. (1982) "India's Changing Electorate", Australian Foreign
Affairs Record, June, pp.359-63.

Jeffrey, R. (1982) "India, 1982: 'Productivity', Centralization and
Opposition Disarray", Dyason House Papers, VIII, 3, March, pp.1-7.

Jeffrey, R. (1978) "'A Strange Vanguard for Conquerors'", Hemisphere,
XXII, 1, January, pp.17-20.

Jeffrey, R. (1975) "Modern Kerala History - Sources and Subjects",
Indian Archives, XXIV, 2, July-December.

Jeffrey, R. (1972) "Sources for Modern Kerala History", Indian
Archives, XXI, 2, July-December.

Recent Conferences and Seminar Papers
(2004) "The Three Stages of Print: testing ideas of 'public sphere,'
'print-capitalism' and 'public action' in Kerala, India," refereed
conference paper, Asian Studies Association of Australia, biennial
conference, Canberra, 30 June, on the web at:
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ASAA/conference/proceedings/asaa-2004-proceedings.htm
[recognized by DEST as a "publication"]

(2004) "Political Possibilities in India: Speculations, 2004-21,"
paper for Department of Education, Science and Training on educational
possibilities in India, 10 November, on the web at:
https://aei.dest.gov.au/aei/mip/currentmarketinformation/india/otherinformation/india05oi01.htm

(2003) Puthuppalli Raghavan Memorial Lecture, Thiruvananthapuram, 2
February.

(2003) S.M. Luthra Memorial Lecture, New Delhi, 14 February.

(2003) "Legacies of matriliny in Kerala, " paper, Association for
Asian Studies conference, New York, 30 March.

(2003) "Changing the Question: Print, Capitalism, Public Action and
the 'Kerala Model'," paper, International Convention of Asia Scholars,
Singapore, 29 August.

(2003) "Does Bowling for Asia Mean Bowling Alone? Public Policy and
Cultural Change in Australia," plenary lecture, 15th NZASIA
Conference, University of Auckland, 23 November.

(2003) "Why Study Asia?", presentation to Asia at the Crossroads
conference, Canberra, 27 November.

Research Grants
(2003-2004) Linkage (Infrastructure Equipment) Fund, 'Digitizing
Seminal Colonial Documents', with Curtin, New England and Sydney
Universities.

(2002-2004) Large ARC, 'Slicing India' project.

Research Projects
Legacies of matriliny in Kerala – small project to discover state of
knowledge; essay coming on Pacific Affairs later in 2004 or early
2005

Indian-language newspapers – continuing interest.

'Slicing India' – account of India from 1942-2001, based on the 11-12
yearly intervals marked by the great festival, the Kumbh Mela, at
Allahabad

Professional Involvements
President, Asian Studies Association of Australia, 2002-04

Member, advisory board, Asia Education Foundation

Member, committee, La Trobe Politics Society, Inc.

Co-editor, South Asia Publications Series, Asian Studies Association
of Australia

Fellow, Academy of Humanities of Australia (FAHA) and International
Secretary, 2001-4

Fellow, Academy of Social Sciences of Australia (FASSA)

naa.g...@gmail.com