how to convert txt in excel keeping track of spaces and zeros

Giulia Mugellini

Jul 13, 2016, 9:36:30 AM7/13/16
to CSVChat
Hi everybody,
I am trying to convert a .txt file in excel but when I did it the first time, all the zeros disappeared and I also had other problems with original number of spaces.
Does anybody know how to import txt in excel keeping the original format of the file?
Thanks a lot!

Giulia

shriop

Jul 13, 2016, 9:44:38 AM7/13/16
to CSVChat
If you're doing this manually, in a recent version of Excel:

  • Create a new blank workbook.
  • Go to DATA tab in menus.
  • Click on the "From Text" button on the ribbon.
  • Select your file, delimiter, etc.
  • When it gets to the step that asks what the column data formats are, hold down Shift and select all columns, and change the "Column data format" to "Text".
That should keep the data exactly as it exists in the file without trimming of leading and/or trailing spaces, zeroes, etc.

Bruce Dunwiddie