Fwd: Interviews with farmers who care about/prioritise human health

Page Dykstra, CSA Network

Mar 28, 2019, 12:05:37 PM3/28/19
Hello everyone,

Let me take the opportunity to introduce myself as I’ve just started this week as the new coordinator, taking over from Maresa.

Some of you may know me already from my time working at Stroud Community Agriculture or more recently as the Eastern England Coordinator for the Gaia Seed Sovereignty Project (which I’ll be returning to in late April after the end of my maternity leave). For those of you who I don’t know, I look forward to learning more about your CSA projects and getting to support you through the network in the days ahead. Please get in touch if there’s anything you’d like to discuss or assistance I can provide.

Please see below a request for farmers and growers to get involved in primary research. Could be a good opportunity for CSA case studies to be highlighted in the Food, Farming and Countryside Commission report if anyone is interested in taking part.

Best,

Page Dykstra
CSA Network UK Coordinator

Please excuse any delay in responding, I  only work two days a week for CSA Network, usually Tuesday and Thursday.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Elizabeth Westaway <elizabeth...@gmail.com>
Subject: Interviews with farmers who care about/prioritise human health
Date: 20 March 2019 at 20:29:47 GMT

Hello,

Please can you kindly share this request for research participants
with CSA Network UK members and for circulation to their networks:

---

Dr Rosalind (Lindy) Sharpe, Research Fellow: Food & Brexit, Food
Research Collaboration, Centre for Food Policy, City, University of
London is looking to interview farmers (of all types, based anywhere
in the UK), who are motivated by concerns about human health, or who
take human health into account in their approach to farming.

This is a marvellous opportunity for (non-industrial
agriculture/horticulture) growers/farmers to be involved in primary
research on the UK food and farming system.

Lindy's request may seem like a rather abstract question to put to a
busy grower/farmer, especially at this time of year, but many CSA
Network UK members
are alert to the health aspects of what they do – both achieving
positive impacts and avoiding negative ones.

The interviews will be undertaken by phone, are quite informal, and
will last no more than 30 minutes. A key thing to note, though, is
that the Food, Farming and Countryside Commission will want to use the
interviews as case studies in their final report, so farmers’ names
and possibly photos will be used. No anonymity!

You can find information about the FFCC here:
https://www.thersa.org/action-and-research/rsa-projects/public-services-...

The questions would be about what and how you farm (briefly), in what
ways human health features in what you do, what the benefits are – and
how you think others could be helped to follow your example. Lindy is
happy to provide more information as needed.

If you are a (non-industrial agriculture/horticulture) grower/farmer
wishing to participate in this research, please contact Lindy directly on:

07966 162543 or Rosalin...@city.ac.uk

http://foodresearch.org.uk/workstream-1/

---

Many thanks and best wishes,

Elizabeth

---

Dr Elizabeth Anne Westaway

@EWestaway

Tel:  +44 (0)  7460229141

elizabeth...@gmail.com

*Join the network* of people and projects using permaculture to create
a better world
The Permaculture Association
https://www.permaculture.org.uk/join