Any interest in a webinar covering the education cluster of CK-ERP ?

C K Wu

Oct 7, 2010, 4:30:47 AM10/7/10
to CK-ERP...@googlegroups.com, CK-E...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks,

I am wondering if there is any interest among discussion group members
to attend a web seminar that would explain the various functions and
features of the new education cluster of CK-ERP. If there is sufficient
expression of interest, I'll start planning the web seminar.

Since I am still a poor open source developer, I'll most likely be using
the FOC facilities of dimdim.com, so it would be a small web seminar
with participants restricted to <20.

Best Regards,
CK

C K Wu

Oct 7, 2010, 5:05:29 AM10/7/10
to ck-e...@googlegroups.com, CK-ERP...@googlegroups.com
Oh. Forgot to mention that if the web seminar goes ahead, it would be
free of charge to all participants.

CK

C K Wu

Oct 26, 2010, 7:18:43 AM10/26/10
to ck-e...@googlegroups.com, CK-ERP...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Waqas, Gisele, Jerre and folks,

Finally, I have sort of some good news to report.

1. The dimdim linux screen sharing plugin does not work. I have
tried it in Ubuntu and Fedora. Both cases ended up in failure.
2. I tried a workaround. I installed Wine within Fedora at machine
A. Using Wine, I installed Win/Firefox and dimdim's (M$ Windows) screen
sharing plugin. It worked. I could start a meeting using
Wine/Win/Firefox, shared my linux desktop screen A. With a separate
machine B, running linux desktop, I could join the meeting using any
browser (even Opera, Linux version) and see the shared screen A.
Machine B was able to hear the audio fed from machine A. Machine B did
not need to download any thing, but I suspect the browser needs to
support flashplayer 10 (or +). However, there was one major drawback.
The whole environment was very unstable. The system hanged upon some
simple non-standard actions, like expanding to full screen mode.
3. While searching for a better solution, I stumbled upon
freebinar.com, which had just gone out of beta at around June this
year. It is basically a free web conferencing service, but participants
will have to see online advertisements. I tried it out. It worked very
well against my linux desktop. The online ads did not seem too
distracting. I solved some nasty tricky problems at the presenter
side. At the same time, participant machines would have to download
some java apps, which might cause compatibility issues with some linux
desktops.

Overall, I decide to go for freebinar, with dimdim, serving as a
backup. I'll start a separate thread to describe what the proposed
webinar will look like, and perhaps arrange for a trial session to see
if there is any major hardware/software problems to overcome.

Best Regards,
CK