Proposed Webinar on "Education cluster of CK-ERP"

C K Wu

Oct 27, 2010, 9:57:45 PM10/27/10
to CK-ERP...@googlegroups.com, CK-E...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks,

As promised, listed below is the detail of the proposed web seminar.

Name: Education cluster of CK-ERP
Duration: One Hour (presentation + Q&A)
Format: Webinar (freebinar, backup - dimdim)
Presenter provides 1 way audio and screen sharing
with slides and application workflow demo
Participants interact via freebinar's online chat
language of communication (audio/online chat) -
English
(no webcam casting - I am pretty sure you don't
want to see my ugly face)
Demo environment: Moodle + CK-ERP
Starting time: 1200 GMT/UTC (11:00 pm Hong Kong local time)

Participant setup: Internet browser (flash
ready), working speaker; (NOT required - webcam/microphone)
Recommended browser: Firefox
Recommended screen resolution: 1280x1024
Participant internet link: Broadband

Additionally,
1. Participants DO NOT need to open account with freebinar.
2. While freebinar allows participant count to grow up to 150, I'll
stick to original restriction of < 20. I don't think it is a good idea
to overburden freebinar's free service with heavy bandwidth draining and
there will not be that many participants anyway.
3. A few days before the actual webinar, I'll start a trial web
meeting at freebinar (around ten minutes) each day at 11:00 am EDT, to
allow interested parties to test out their machine's reception of
presentation video/audio.
4. Delivery route of webinar video/audio - presenter's PC (Hong Kong)
-> freebinar server (Atlanta, US) -> participant's PC (whereever you are
located). Because of the long route, significant video delay and slow
interaction response are expected.
5. Because this is the first time I am conducting a webinar and
freebinar is also a pretty new service, so do expect the unexpected.
System hang, screen lock, audio blackout, etc, etc, etc, are highly likely.
6. Most webinars targeting an international audience starts at 1200
GMT. That's how the starting time is picked. It is difficult to pick a
time that's convenient to all people around the world.

Now, the day. I like to propose the following alternatives,

November 5, 2010 (Friday)
November 6, 2010 (Saturday)
November 7, 2010 (Sunday)
November 8, 2010 (Monday)

Your feedback on choosing which day or some other day is most welcome.

Best Regards,
CK

C K Wu

Oct 28, 2010, 4:23:55 AM10/28/10
to ck-e...@googlegroups.com, CK-ERP...@googlegroups.com
Just to add some additional info,

a) You can visit the following link,
http://www.freebinar.com/systemtest , to test your machine prior to
attending the trial web meeting.
b) When joining the webinar, freebinar will ask for your email
address. As far as I can tell, the email address is not used during the
web meeting, so if you have privacy concern, just enter one of those
throw-away email addresses (?????@yahoo.com, ?????@gmail.com, etc)

Best Regards,
CK

C K Wu

Oct 29, 2010, 10:37:48 PM10/29/10
to ck-e...@googlegroups.com, CK-ERP...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks,

Let's fix the webinar day/time as November 5, 2010, 1200 GMT/UTC.

I have further tested freebinar's meeting registration process. Turn
out it's not too reliable. In one occasion, I did not received the
email notifying the link for joining a scheduled web meeting. Hence,
I'll dispense with the meeting registration process.

I have also missed one important aspect of the webinar setup. In case
there is a system hang (at either the presenter's or partipant's
machine) to the point that the freebinar's online chat does not work any
more, there has to be a backup communication channel for message
interchange between the presenter and the participants. I'll probably
choose between facebook group wall, yahoo/gmail chat or freenode. Any
suggestion on other alternatives would be most welcome. I would hope to
finalise the arrangement before the coming trial meeting, so the
arrangement can be tested in a real life setting.

I'll start a new thread serving as formal invitation to the webinar and
listing the finer details of the web meeting. I'll update this thread
throughout next week if there is any change to the web meeting arrangement.

Best Regards,
CK