Fwd: Save Canada's Climate Bill! - Key vote this Wednesday

3 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Alexandre Vigneault

ongelezen,
13 apr 2010, 13:42:1113-04-2010
aan CHBE-Sust...@googlegroups.com
It is time to get on the phone of email today! Tomorrow there is a huge vote on climate change in Ottawa. We have no idea what is going to happen with the Liberals. So please call your MP if he is Liberal,  email, call Ignatieff (see info below), if he isn't. Conservatives will vote against the bill. Bloc and NDP will vote for it, no need to call those MP's.

Alexandre

_____________________________________

PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY (ENVOYE A VOTRE LISTES SI VOUS PLAIT)

LE FRANÇAIS SUIT

BILL C311 OR BUST

Let’s save the bill! The Climate Change Accountability Act (Bill C-311) is the only clear sign of an effective climate legislation we’ve seen in Canada.  We need this bill in order to see serious federal climate action, including deep and binding greenhouse gas emission reduction targets that will pave the way towards Canada’s clean and sustainable future.

This is our chance to influence the vote in the House of Commons on April 14th.  The bill has passed two readings, and must be voted for on April 14th in order to proceed to the third and final reading.

If the bill is defeated on April 14th, we are back to square one – with no climate policy going into effect for years.  If we can’t pass legislation in Canada, we cannot do our fair share internationally as one of the world’s biggest polluters to avoid runaway climate change and protect vulnerable communities in Canada and around the world from facing the disproportionate affects of the climate crisis.

Unfortunately this Bill was not passed before the UN Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen.  During a crucial vote last October, Michael Ignatieff and the majority of Liberals (who once supported Bill C-311) voted with the Conservatives to delay passage of the Bill.  We need to make sure this doesn't happen on April 14.  We want immediate action, and no more partisanship. This could be the make-or-break vote for good climate legislation in Canada.  Liberals need to vote in favour of the Bill and all Liberals need to be present for this vote

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Phone the MPs listed below by calling 1 (866) 599-4999 and asking for them. If they are not available tell the staff you want to leave a message for them. Or you can Tweet the bolded text below! Use the hash tags: #Cdnpoli, #Cdnpolitics, #climate, and #c311, and #liberalparty

1.       Call or email the following Liberal MPs who have not been supportive of Bill C-311:

 Michael Ignatieff, Opposition Leader (and absent for last two votes), Ignat...@parl.gc.ca; Tweet: @M_Ignatieff

David McGuinty, Liberal environment critic and member of Environmental Committee, McGui...@parl.gc.ca;

Justin Trudeau, Liberal youth critic and member of Environment Committee,Trud...@parl.gc.ca; Tweet: @justinpjtrudeau

2.  Then, call or email as many Liberal MPs as you can and tell them how important the Bill is to you.

3.  Tell your own MP.  You will get the most support from him/her.  If you don’t know who your MP is, find out here.

4.   Make the targeted MPs your Facebook friends or tweet them Tell them to support Bill C-311 and safeguard your future.

5.   Change your Facebook status to something like:

“A crucial vote will be happening in the House on April 14 that will determine the fate of Bill C-311 (The Climate Change Accountability Act) Call your MP to make sure they vote to support the bill to go into its Third Reading.”

6.   Join us on Facebook: Save Bill C-311! Sauver le Projet De Loi C-311

7.   Pass this message on to all your friends!

************************************************************************************************************************

Things to mention when you call/email:

  • As a youth/parent/resident/etc in Canada, we will only vote for leadership and a government we can count on to make the right decisions in a time of the climate and energy crisis that are putting our future at grave risk.   We want immediate action, and no more partisanship.  Bill C311 is what our country needs.
  • Bill C311 has gone through several readings and been passed by the majority of MPs, as well as the Environment Committee with no amendments.
  • There is no other climate bill being proposed in Parliament.  If Bill C311 dies now after being supported through several readings, our country would be left with no legislation on the horizon. We have already wasted precious time since the Kyoto Protocol was ratified with no movement on climate change and a lack of governmental leadership on climate change.
  • If Michael Ignatieff expects young people in Canada to put our faith behind him and his party, he needs to show political will and climate leadership NOW by leading his party to vote for Bill C-311.

In Solidarity,

The Canadian Youth Climate Coalition (CYCC)

www.ourclimate.ca

--
Spencer Rasmussen
UBC Coordinator, goBEYOND Project