scheduling coal service?

Sean Tierney

Jan 25, 2006, 6:34:53 PM1/25/06
to CF_...@googlegroups.com
Ryan (or any other COAL'ers),
I don't know the status of the COAL project and admittedly i haven't
had a chance to dig into it to learn the inner workings myself but I
think i understand the goal of it. Rob Brooks-Bilson commented today
on what he would like to see in terms of advanced functionality in the
scheduler in the CF Administrator in an upcoming release and i thought
what he described sounded like an excellent candidate for a COAL
service.
anyways, I don't know how commonly-requested Rob's features are but
seems like it would be an ideal COAL initiative. Rob's post is here->
http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/rob/index.cfm/2006/1/25/The-ColdFusion-Scheduler--Whats-Missing

sean
--
www.LightsOutProduction.com

Ryan Guill

Jan 25, 2006, 7:11:37 PM1/25/06
to CF_...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sean,

Thanks for the heads up. I had missed Robs post. Im not sure exactly
how it would fit with COAL? What part of it though do you think would
work well in COAL? The components that could drive a custom system
could definately fit if they were purposed the right way, but im not
sure if that is what you are meaning.

Thanks!

--
Ryan Guill
BlueEyesDevelopment

The Coldfusion Open Application Library - COAL - http://coal.ryanguill.com

Use CF and SQL? Try qBrowser - http://www.ryanguill.com/docs/

www.ryanguill.com/
The Roman Empire: www.ryanguill.com/blog/

Sean Tierney

Jan 25, 2006, 7:37:33 PM1/25/06
to CF_...@googlegroups.com
yea i guess my limited understanding of COAL is that it's intended to
package common functionality that gets reused by many different
developers- things that you end up rewriting across many projects like
that login security service i believe you created in COAL. the problem
of adding what Rob wants to the Administrator is that i may happen...
a year from now. It could all be abstracted though and rolled into a
component that is called like a scheduling service. again, i
apologize for not having dug deeply into COAL so i may be butchering
what it is that it actually does but this is what my current
understanding is having seen the posts on this list and read the FAQ
last summer.

anyways, this list has been silent for some time so if anything, just
throwin something out there that struck me as seeming appropriate for
this project

sean

--
www.LightsOutProduction.com

Ryan Guill

Jan 25, 2006, 7:49:45 PM1/25/06
to CF_...@googlegroups.com
No, youve got it right. Basically, if you could roll the whole thing
into a package of components It would go great in COAL. Especially if
you could use other components in COAL (or logically seperate it out
into seperate components that could be used indepenantly) it would go
well. It would just be up to the end developer to hook it up to a
datastore of some type and create a user interface on its own (since
COAL doesnt provide either of those things). But yeah, you've got the
right idea.

COAL has been quiet lately, and I am trying to do something about
that. My main problem is the lack of developers getting involved and
writing components to go in COAL. The framework is pretty much done,
as its fairly lightweight by design. The only changes I forsee in the
near future is bug fixes, but until developers start using it it is
sort of hard to find those.

Would you want to write the components to do this? Even if adobe was
to add the features into the next release (which I somehow doubt
personally as its not really high profile) I would image it would
still be useful, especially since COAL is designed to work on 6.1 +.

Thanks again!

Ryan Guill

Jan 25, 2006, 7:57:18 PM1/25/06
to CF_...@googlegroups.com
Hey, you arent on google talk or can get in the coldfusion irc channel can you?

I was going to be on for a while and though we could chat a little
easier that way.

If not thats fine too.

Sean Tierney

Jan 25, 2006, 8:07:29 PM1/25/06
to CF_...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,
unfortunately I wouldn't have the time to donate to this presently but
it's a nobel cause ;-)

I do, however, have an idea for you on how COAL might fit with another
initiative I'm involved with called Grid7. The idea of rolling common
functionality into a reusable service and distributing via COAL is
great in theory as it provides real value to the community (and moreso
to the language). It seems the real key though is going to be in
finding early adopters that derive enough value from expending that
extra effort to make their services using your framework rather than
just writing it for themselves. If it's useful enough to an
organization internally to have this means for packaging commonly-used
services in this way, then they will build out your COAL services in
pursuit of their own self interests and yield value to the community
as a byproduct. Grid7 would actually be a good match for the type of
group that would derive benefit for this and yield services - we can
talk more offline if you wish. We're launching the pilot in 2wks but
our initial group is limited to Ruby developers so it might be a few
months before we incorporate CF people that woudl take advantage of
this.

sean

--
www.LightsOutProduction.com