Leibniz association >> financial support

Eduard Kontar

Mar 6, 2022, 11:32:25 AM3/6/22
to CESRA_C...@googlegroups.com
Dear CESRA Colleagues,

Please note that was brought to my attention by Ekatarina Dineva:

Dear Leibniz Doctoral Researchers,

The Presidium of the Leibniz association decided for substantial financial support for following initiatives in regards to the Ukraine war:

  * Extensions of contracts and fellowships of scientists from the
    conflict regions that expire in the next six months
  * Costs incurred for repatriation operations from the affected and
    neighboring conflict regions
  * Costs incurred for relocation, travel, and supply

What does it mean for you?If you already know of specific fled scientist from the affected and neighboring conflict regions and you would like to offer*hosting*at your institution, you can! Therefore we would only need you to provide information and an estimate of the resulting funding requirements.

Another way to help would be be through*hiring*scientific employees. There are already PIs opening their working groups for Ukrainian scientists rom similar fields.

If you have other suggestions for helpful aid, let us know via email with the subject “*Matching-Found*” and we can check whether they can get funded by Leibniz.

The current Leibniz president Professor Kleiner agreed, what now sounds like a stopgap solution should become a permanent system for aiding young scientist from war zones like thePhilipp Schwartz-Initiative <https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/bewerben/foerderprogramme/philipp-schwartz-initiative>, as the Ukraine war is not the first and last war on this planet.

And then there are the*sanctions*. In an exchange with Professor Keiner we made clear that we understand the logic of the sanctions, but are worried of “freezing” all cooperation with Russian organizations, as the “Alliance of scientific organizations in Germany” recommended in astatement <https://www.leibniz-gemeinschaft.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Bilder_und_Downloads/Neues/Presse/Pressemitteilungen/Alliance_of_Science_Organisations_in_Germany_-_Statement_on_Russia_s_attack_on_Ukraine_-__February_25th__2022.pdf>on Friday.

Cases, in where the sanctions affect negatively the work of PhDs will be collected and reported by us. If you are affected or you know someone who is, contract us per Email using the subject “*Collateral-Damage*” and we will try to get specific help for you.