Fwd: Urgent - School Board Meeting tonight!

Sadie Peterson Delaney

Aug 9, 2023, 10:08:43 AM8/9/23
to Andrea Pastorella, Charlotte Adamis, Kim Taylor, Maxine Kamen, Morine Blue Bird, Neetopk Keetopk, Noorulai...@charter.com, Praxis, Stephanie Munford, Stephen Johnson, Troy Ellen Dixon, kingston enjan

Aug 9, 2023, 10:12:23 AM8/9/23
to Sadie Peterson Delaney, Andrea Pastorella, Charlotte Adamis, Kim Taylor, Maxine Kamen, Morine Blue Bird, Neetopk Keetopk, Noorulai...@charter.com, Praxis, Stephanie Munford, Stephen Johnson, Troy Ellen Dixon, kingston enjan
What is the address?
photo
photo
Dawn
Owner, Rondout Valley Pet Care

845-706-8447  |  rondoutvalleypetcare.com

First place winner of the 2nd and 4th Annual Chronogrammy Readers' Choice Awards

facebookinstagram

Jillian DiFalco

Aug 9, 2023, 11:08:03 AM8/9/23
to DAWN'S DOG BOARDING & PET SITTING, Sadie Peterson Delaney, Andrea Pastorella, Charlotte Adamis, Kim Taylor, Maxine Kamen, Morine Blue Bird, Neetopk Keetopk, Noorulai...@charter.com, Praxis, Stephanie Munford, Stephen Johnson, Troy Ellen Dixon, kingston enjan
If it is at Meagher Preschool, which I believe it is, then the address is 21 Wynkoop Place in Kingston.

Sadie Peterson Delaney

Aug 9, 2023, 1:59:16 PM8/9/23
to Philip M Erner, Andrea Pastorella, Charlotte Adamis, Kim Taylor, Maxine Kamen, Morine Blue Bird, Neetopk Keetopk, Noorulai...@charter.com, Stephanie Munford, Stephen Johnson, Troy Ellen Dixon, kingston enjan, praxis-rea...@googlegroups.com
I don’t think anyone was supporting Spicer most of us wanted him to explain his votes and his actions.  I would never support a community opperquoonist ! I would like the community to meet to discuss this issue of who is supporting whom on the school Board
Odell

On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 1:26 PM Philip M Erner <p...@riseup.net> wrote:

I'd like to add that, as the stories below note, between them it was Herb Lamb who had OPPOSED Payment In Lieu Of Taxes (PILOT) for the Kingstonian, whilst Steven Spicer had SUPPORTED it.

Spicer, who had marched with Rise Up Kingston against police brutality, by also supporting school-district subsidies to a wealthy developer for market-rate housing & a parking garage uptown, in my opinion also voted for gentrification harming many of the same groups of people.

In addition during the past few years Cathy Collins, not Lamb or Spicer, has often cast the only vote AGAINST School Resource Officers (SRO).

I respect those who wished to support Spicer over Lamb for board president for the reason originally cited. And as an elected person I urge us to look at everyone's fuller voting records.

On 8/9/23 12:13, Philip M Erner wrote:

For those planning to show up tonight in order to support Steven Spicer rather than Herb Lamb for Kingston school board president, there's no need: Lamb has just resigned from the board. Below please find Daily Freeman story about it, as well as a second story in which Lamb had said that he supported not only Spicer's right to demonstrate & to express his personal opinion about systemic anti-Black racism including in policing but that Lamb also shared that view.

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2023/08/07/kingston-board-of-education-member-herb-lamb-resigns/

Kingston Board of Education member, president candidate Herb Lamb resigns, says he’ll file complaint

PUBLISHED: August 7, 2023 at 10:59 p.m. | UPDATED: August 8, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.

KINGSTON, N.Y. — School district Trustee Herb Lamb has resigned from the Board of Education and says he will be filing a complaint against up to four of its members for unspecified reasons.

Lamb, who was a candidate for president of the Board in a vote scheduled for Wednesday, said late Monday during a telephone interview that problems leading to the resignation date to at least to the 6-3 vote against supporting tax breaks for the Kingstonian mixed-use project on Dec. 3, 2020, but also involve other issues.

“I will talk when my blood pressure comes down and I cool off,” he said. “It goes back to the Kingstonian but it’s been festering for the past four months. All of us who voted ‘no,’ it will involve.”

Four of the six opposed to the tax breaks, Lamb, Priscilla Lowe, Robin Jacobowitz, and Cathy Collins are still on the board, and two of the three who voted in favor, Suzanne Jordan and Steven Spicer, are still in office.

Lamb did say there was something that occurred during the day that triggered his decision but declined to discuss the incident.

“I can’t go into that because I’m going to the (state) Commissioner of Education with that,” he said. “It’s not the district. … There were things done (by at least four board members) that went against state (Education Law).”

Lamb said the resignation has nothing to do with his comments supporting Spicer’s ability to make comments about the need to deal with racism in police departments, which he contends were important despite disagreeing with Spicer on issues that did lead to his resignation.

“I got a ‘thank you’ from (Spicer),” he said.

However, despite the agreement on Spicer’s ability to make comments outside of board meetings, Lamb said Monday before submitting his resignation that he had problems with attempts to limit interactions between board members and the public.

“I don’t like the fact that I’m not allowed to send an email out, only the board president can, in response to someone contacting me,” he said. “I’ve gotten my wrist slapped for that. … I cannot speak the position of the board, I’m not president, but I should be responding to anyone who sends me an email.”

Lamb had run unsuccessfully for the board in 2007 and 2017. He then won in 2019 to fill the remaining two years of an unexpired term before being elected to a full three-year term in 2022.

Board members split 4-4 last month between Spicer returning as board president or moving Lamb into the position. Spicer was supported by Cathy Collins, Suzanne Jordan, and Marie Anderson, while Lamb received votes from Priscilla Lowe, Marc Rider, and Jennifer Fitzgerald. Trustee Robin Jacobowitz was absent.

 https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2023/08/07/kingston-school-board-president-candidates-pan-mayoral-hopefuls-objections/

Kingston school board president candidates pan mayoral hopeful’s objections

PUBLISHED: August 7, 2023 at 4:56 p.m. | UPDATED: August 8, 2023 at 7:59 p.m.

KINGSTON, N.Y. — The candidates seeking to become school board president are in solidarity with the ability to speak freely about systemic racism in society, rejecting contentions from a mayoral candidate that comments made at rallies should disqualify someone from leading the district.

Steven Spicer, who has been president for two years until encountering a split vote last month, was criticized recently by Kingston mayoral candidate Scott Denny for speaking at a 2020 Dutchess County rally that was intended to show support for the late George Floyd and remind people that racism can be fatal unless changes are made in police departments.

But during a telephone interview Monday, Herb Lamb —  a board member seeking to take the position held by Spicer — said Spicer’s comments about concerns of Black people and their relationship with law enforcement are valid. Spicer is Black.

“We have institutional racism in every institution in this country,” Lamb, who is white, said. “You don’t give up your freedom of speech when you become a board member. If you are speaking on your own that is your choice.”

Board members split 4-4 between Spicer returning as board president or moving Lamb into the position. Spicer was supported by Cathy Collins, Suzanne Jordan, and Marie Anderson, while Lamb received votes from Priscilla Lowe, Marc Rider, and Jennifer Fitzgerald. Trustee Robin Jacobowitz was absent.

School board members are scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 9, in the Meagher Administration Building at 21 Wynkoop Place, with another round of voting to select a board president slated.

Denny, a registered Democrat who is running on the Republican and Conservative lines, during a meeting last month urged board members to vote against Spicer because of his appearance and comments at rallies. In a recent email to the Freeman, Denny objected to a published comment in a June 7, 2020, Poughkeepsie Journal article that said, “Every day Steven Spicer wakes up in a county that is different for white people,” he said.

Denny also objected to having a school board president that would say “every person of color” needs to be aware of how they interact with a “biased law enforcement system.”

Denny added, “Clearly, I absolutely agree that what happened to Mr. George Floyd was an absolute atrocity, however the handful of Officers and there heinous actions do not speak to the Men and Women of the Nationwide Law Enforcement Community. … There is absolutely no room for politics, from the School Board.”

However, Lamb rejected Denny’s concerns and supported Spicer as being a valuable part of the discussion in terms of learning what needs to change in the school district as well as many other aspects of American life. He agreed that there is an unfair concern that people of color have needed to address on a daily basis.

“Depending on your personal experiences, that would be a legitimate statement,” he said. “Do I feel like there is ‘white privilege?’ Yes.”

Lamb said his work as a music teacher underscores the things that he realized was a clear divide between his own background and that of his students and coworkers of color.

Spicer said after the July 13 session that his participation in rallies is not as a representative of the board and is being done to bring light to a situation that can exist anywhere. He added that it is important to have staff, students, and police work together to keep everyone safe.

“That’s not anti-police,” he said.

Editor’s note: This story was amended on Aug. 8, 2023, to add more context to Scott Denny statements.

--
To send an email to this group, use: praxis-rea...@googlegroups.com
---

Sarah Elisabeth

Aug 12, 2023, 4:49:17 PM8/12/23
to p...@riseup.net, Sadie Peterson Delaney, Andrea Pastorella, Charlotte Adamis, Kim Taylor, Maxine Kamen, Morine Blue Bird, Neetopk Keetopk, Noorulai...@charter.com, Stephanie Munford, Stephen Johnson, Troy Ellen Dixon, kingston enjan, praxis-rea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Sarah Elisabeth
all pronouns
PO Box 1010
Beacon, NY 12508

FYI

Aug 12, 2023, 4:53:59 PM8/12/23
to Philip M Erner, praxis-rea...@googlegroups.com, Sadie Peterson Delaney, Andrea Pastorella, Charlotte Adamis, Kim Taylor, Maxine Kamen, Morine Blue Bird, Neetopk Keetopk, Noorulai...@charter.com, Stephanie Munford, Stephen Johnson, Troy Ellen Dixon, kingston enjan
Thanks

Sarah Elisabeth
all pronouns
PO Box 1010