Resource: A Call to Action for an Antiracist Clinical Science

1 view

Radliff, Kisha

Aug 20, 2021, 11:47:03 AM8/20/21
to CD...@googlegroups.com

Hello Colleagues!

Please excuse the cross-posting. I wanted to share a resource that was sent to me through a different community. You might find it helpful as you plan for or are already diving into the year! This preprint, A Call to Action for an Antiracist Clinical Science, was developed by a group of students (with support from faculty) across several universities. They used the CCTC Social Responsiveness in Health Service Psychology Education and Training Toolkit to “inspire their thinking, structure, and questions.” The abstract is pasted below.

Abstract

Clinical psychological science is a field committed to reducing the negative impact of psychiatric illness through innovative research and psychological treatments. Unfortunately, the impact of racial injustices that pervade American society and permeate our academic institutions is felt not only by those who seek our services as mental health providers, but also by the individuals who work in our departments as faculty, staff, and students. Representing the collective work of numerous graduate students and postdoctoral trainees from multiple institutions, this call to action instantiates the need for prompt and consistent efforts towards dismantling institutionalized racism and inequity in clinical science. Specifically, we articulate the multiple roles our field plays in perpetuating racial oppression and outline concrete demands and recommendations for structural reform in the following key areas: (1) the mental health needs of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) students, (2) clinical training and supervision, (3) curriculum and pedagogical approaches, (4) research and methods, and (5) the recruitment, retention, and success of graduate students and faculty.

Regards,

Kisha

Kisha Radliff, Ph.D., LP

Associate Professor and Program Chair, School Psychology Program

Department of Educational Studies, College of Education and Human Ecology

A436 PAES Building | 305 Annie & John Glenn Ave | Columbus, OH  43210-1224

Office: 614-292-6485Email: radl...@osu.edu

Pronouns: she, her, hers

Confidentiality Notice: This email contains information for the sender that may be confidential, legally privileged, proprietary, or otherwise protected from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or other action taken in reliance on the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sending party by replying in an email to the sender, delete the email from your computer system and shred any paper copies of the email you printed.