Forced Migration and The Arts - April 2024 Indaba - Online, Thurs, 25 April 2024 (2.00-3.30pm; 4.00-5.30pm & 6-7.30pm UK Time)

Ambrose Musiyiwa

Apr 12, 2024, 1:52:12 PMApr 12
to CAN-ne...@googlegroups.com

Join us online for conversation looking at the work refugee and non-refugee artists, academics, activists and art spaces are doing at the intersection where forced migration and the arts meet.

The conversation takes place on Thursday, 25 April 2024 in three sessions, namely,

  • 2.00pm - 3.30pm (UK Time): Session 1: Theatre, Music and Visual Arts, with Kanvee Adams, Daniel Connell, Rana Ibrahim, Amaia Mugica, and Michael Niyomwungere;
  • 4.00pm - 5.30pmSession 2: Book Launch: Staging Asylum, Again, with Tania Cañas, Emma Cox, Samara Hersch, David Ralph, Joe Tan, Lara Thoms, and Caroline Wake, and
  • 6pm - 7.30pmSession 3: Music, Theatre, Performance, Visual Arts and Mixed Media, with Farida, Robert McNeil MBE, John Pfumojena, De Joe Quarcoo, and Shibinu S.

Art forms the speakers will be drawing on include theatre, music, letter songs, performing arts, visual arts and mixed media.

In addition, during the 4.00pm-5.30pm session, we will be hosting the online launch of Staging Asylum, Again (Eds., Tania Cañas & Caroline Wake, Currency Press, 2024), an anthology that exposes Australia’s mistreatment of people seeking refuge, builds on the success of its predecessor, and presents a timely and powerful exploration archive of artistic resistance to one of Australia’s most enduring and unjust policies. The anthology showcases a diverse range of plays that delve into different facets of seeking asylum.

For a full schedule, see the post, "April 2024 Conversations/Indaba" on our blog.

REGISTRATION

Attendance and participation in the sessions is free and open to all.

To attendregister through this form. (From there, we will send you the Zoom link 24 or so hours before the conversations start.)

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - THE AFRICA MIGRATION REPORT: AN ANTHOLOGY OF POEMS

Forced Migration and The Arts, in collaboration with CivicLeicester and Regularise, is inviting and accepting poems on the theme of African migration.

People on the African continent have a long history of experience with migration, whether this is people as individuals or communities moving from one place to another in search of pasture for their livestock or in search of prospects, be they education or employment or to escape the ravages of climate change or to find refuge from war, conflict, persecution or because of other reasons. The movements have been taking place over time and within and across countries, on the continent and beyond, and are motivated or driven by many different reasons.

Many of the people who have made these journeys have had certain experiences and encounters before deciding to move, while on the move and when they arrive at their destinations. Families and communities also have stories about relatives, friends and community members who moved and then returned or did not return.

The Africa Migration Report: an Anthology of Poems is inviting and accepting poems exploring these and related themes and more. We welcome poems from writers of all ages, at any stage of their writing careers, based anywhere in the world. We welcome poems exploring personal, familial, community and national histories and experiences of African migration, including any of the images, issues, causes, reasons, hopes, expectations, encounters, joys, hardships, dreams, and realities that people experience around migration. And we welcome poems that explore the pasts, presents and possible futures of African migration.

We invite poems that explore the personal, familial, communal, national, continental, intercontinental, transnational, past, present and possible futures of African migration across time and space, in and around this world and beyond.

What pasts, presents, futures, hopes, dreams, nightmares, joys, loves, memories, griefs, visions, seeds, and more are African migrants carrying, loving, singing, living, gaining, losing, feeling, dancing, being, dreaming, moving through, reaching towards, living with, living through and experiencing? What is happening to Africans on the move and all this that they are carrying?

Full submission guidelines are available here.

NETWORK NOTES

[1] The next Forced Migration and The Arts network forum/indaba will take place on 30 May 2024. If you are a refugee or non-refugee artist, academic, activist or art space working at the intersection where forced migration and the arts meet, and you would like to speak as part of the conversation, please let us know through this form.

[2] Forced Migration and The Arts is currently purely volunteer-driven. Donations are most welcome and can be made through BuyMe a Coffee.

[3] We are also drawing attention to Sunday Lawrence's appeal for support. Lawrence, a refugee from South Sudan and a second year Law student at the International University of East Africa in Kampala, Uganda, has so far raised €3,532 of the €5,256 he needs for tuition and sustenance. Lawrence needs to raise the remaining €1,724 so that he can finish his studies. Any support you can give him will be most appreciated.

With regards,

Ambrose

Ambrose Musiyiwa | Facilitator, CivicLeicester & Forced Migration and The Arts | Coordinator, Leicester Human Rights Arts and Film Festival & Journeys in Translation

Ambrose Musiyiwa

Apr 21, 2024, 5:41:20 PMApr 21
[...]

[3] We are also drawing attention to Sunday Lawrence's appeal for support. Lawrence, a refugee from South Sudan and a second year Law student at the International University of East Africa in Kampala, Uganda, has so far raised €3,587 of the €5,256 he needs for tuition and sustenance. Lawrence needs to raise the remaining €1,669 so that he can finish his studies. Any support you can give him will be most appreciated.