Could the heat wave cause power outages? How Canadians can prepare

Art Hunter

Jun 18, 2024, 1:29:04 PMJun 18
to CACOR CG, cacor-public

Could the heat wave cause power outages? How Canadians can prepare

Or you could plan to survive well in advance of a disaster.   Grid outages threaten:
1.   your life or highly stress your health state survival
2.  sump pump stopping and basement flooding (property damage in basement, mould later, drywall repairs, smell, and more)
3.  Food spoilage in refrigerators and freezers
4.  sitting alone in the dark without TV or Radio
5.  fire hazard from candles
6.  cellular telephone soon dies from lack of charge
7.  toilets don't flush as well water is not available

Plan to survive the next disaster or save money for your next vacation to Thailand.    Really?

Adding solar is so much easier and the investment pays back in financial and social benefits.

image.png

Plan ahead.

Geoffrey Strong

Jun 18, 2024, 3:22:34 PMJun 18
to cacor-...@googlegroups.com, cacor-public
Art,

Related to this, and something we’ve discussed very little in CACOR, is ‘communications’.  The second thing to disappear (after power) in any type of disaster is ‘communications’.  Just think how much we ALL rely on internet access.  As I learned yesterday when I lost my home internet, even most of my software depends on internet. Windows 11 and Microsoft 365 both depend in internet, and where are we on our computers w/o WORD, EXCEL, etc.  I’m sure recent Apple systems are equally dependent.

In a disaster, even if your cell phone is fully charged, you might not have any connections!
Anyone with an old shortwave radio system gathering dust in their attic probably should clean it up, and make sure you have  at least one solar panel to power it.

I think I’ll take a course in S/W radio . . .

       Geoff Strong

Jun 18, 2024, 5:57:14 PMJun 18
to cacor-pub...@googlegroups.com, cacor-...@googlegroups.com, cacor-public
Yes, I have a short wave emergency radio I can use.

Plan ahead.

Sent from my Galaxy
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CACOR-Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cacor-public/SA1P222MB088982402FC8C9106ED3B470ABCE2%40SA1P222MB0889.NAMP222.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Cacor Canada

Jun 18, 2024, 11:01:10 PMJun 18
to art.cacor, cacor-pub...@googlegroups.com, cacor-...@googlegroups.com, cacor-public
Geoff (in particular), you're still thinking in terms of disasters that last a few days or weeks.  Overshoot and climate change are likely to cause disasters that last years or decades, in fact likely centuries.  That's why I argued for something like a companion document to the current Plan to Survive.  Of course, that didn't fly, likely because no-one can fathom what it might entail.

Dave Dougherty

Jun 18, 2024, 11:26:19 PMJun 18
to cacor-...@googlegroups.com, art.cacor, cacor-pub...@googlegroups.com, cacor-public
If the climate hits a tipping point, everything will deteriorate very rapidly, not weeks maybe, but not decades either.  You have to consider things like access to food, which can disappear in 2-3 years with droughts, while our system’s food security timeline is measured in weeks or days.

     Geoff Strong
Jun 19, 2024, 12:06:28 AMJun 19
to Geoffrey Strong, cacor-...@googlegroups.com, art.cacor, cacor-pub...@googlegroups.com, cacor-public
I agree on that, but the disaster will be very prolonged.

Dave Dougherty

Art Hunter

Jun 19, 2024, 12:49:47 AMJun 19
to Cacor Canada, Geoffrey Strong, cacor-...@googlegroups.com, cacor-public
The future is very uncertain but we do know it is going to be far from what was considered  "normal" even 10 years ago.   From my perspective, I decided to prepare for the transition as no matter what the pace, it will result in electricity grid disruptions.   The concept of doing nothing but complaining and pointing fingers in all directions is simply not my style.    I far prefer keeping busy preparing as it is a task that will never be complete.   Each year I add something new and do it with vigour.   As of December 2023 I took a deep dive into Ultra-Low Overnight Lelectrical Energy rates and have made great progress so far.

there are two slides that capture progress to date (and many words)
image.png

and

image.png
My immediate task is to verify the Math model using two very different homes in the Ottawa area that have been fitted out to become microgrids and to see how the math model will handle their data.   This sounds very easy to do but the process of collecting past performance data that is not my data is NOT easy.   Then the format of this time sequence needs to be tailored to be swallowed and it may possibly find weaknesses in the math model that need to be addressed.    Displaying the results is always an issue as there is such a mass of information and what seems straight forward (show me before and after) is far from being easy.    The issue is adding care to be comparing apples with apples or one can be led to make false conclusions.

In the meantime contact with OREC has been made and they are exploring the concept of a "community battery" that will require a policy change by the Ontario Energy Board and the IESO which is then passed onto the Hydro Ottawa for implementation.   In the mix with all this is the role of EVs and their highly mobile batteries being used in a way beneficial to all (V2G, V2H, V2x).  This also needs policy changes and input from the provincial government's Minister of Energy.   Also not easy.

I did attend the Hydro Ottawa breakfast on the 18th (Raymond Leury was there as well) looking at decarbonizing big buildings in Ottawa and asked two questions pertaining to $1 million community batteries and use of geothermal energy in storm water and wastewater networks that are everywhere in the city (except my small community in Manotick).   I did want to introduce the concept of rooftop vertical axis wind turbines  to augment rooftop solar (or parking lot canopy solar arrays) but will have to save that for another day.

I say all this as I totally refuse to do nothing but point fingers.   Bottom up change is my objective while others feel writing letters to the PMO and their MPs will do the job as well.   I certainly can't say what is more effective, if any of it really is, but I remain busy advocating for community level Virtual Power Plants.   The benefits are overwhelming but the fossil fuel industry has deep propaganda pockets that make the task even more difficult.