Fwd: This kind of public transportation is growing fast

Art Hunter

Jul 12, 2024, 3:02:35 AM (11 days ago) Jul 12
to CACOR CG, cacor-public

The environment is changing. This is your weekly guide to what we’re doing about it.
CBC

View in browser

Thursday, July 11, 2024

Thursday, July 11, 2024

Hello, Earthlings! This is our weekly newsletter on all things environmental, where we highlight trends and solutions that are moving us to a more sustainable world.

This week:

This kind of public transportation is growing fast

Reader feedback: How Tim Hortons should fill your cup

Canada's biggest passive house

From a parking lot back to a pond — that's how McMaster University plans to 'rewild' its west campus

Bike sharing is growing fast in Canada's cities

Guy on an orange and black bike

Jake Roslyn is a 'huge fan' of Toronto Bike Share, and hopes for better connections to transit soon.

Fewer Canadians have been using public buses and trains since the pandemic. But one new type of public transportation is seeing huge growth in cities across Canada — bike sharing.

Riders say it's a convenient way to take one-way trips during busy days around Canada's cities without the hassle of maintaining, storing and securing your own bike.

Cities say it’s part of an effort to provide an affordable transportation option that can help fill gaps in the public transportation system.

Montreal's Bixi, the first public bike sharing system in North America, said 576,000 users, or roughly 1 in 4 Montrealers, took 11.7 million trips in 2023. That's up 31 per cent since 2022 and 55 per cent since 2021.

Justin Hanna, director of Bike Share Toronto, said Canada's biggest city has also been seeing double-digit growth in usage, and expects 6.2 million rides in 2024 on its fleet of 9,000 bikes, up from 5.7 million the year before and just 665,000 in 2015.

In contrast, transit ridership in Canada hasn't fully recovered from the huge drop during the COVID-19 pandemic, and was still below 2020 levels in January 2024.

The downside of bike sharing's growth? "The demand for our program far exceeds the supply of bikes that we currently have," Hanna said. In response to the popularity, Bike Share Toronto will add 200 stations with additional bikes in the next two years.

Similarly, in Montreal, one Bixi user told CBC's Brittany Henriques that she sometimes had trouble finding bikes or places to "dock" and return them

Still, riders say that for those who are able, there are many reasons to use bike sharing.

"I like going for a bike ride better than sitting in a crowded streetcar," said Jake Roslyn, who said he is a "huge fan" of Bike Share Toronto and used it regularly when he lived downtown.

Hanna said it's the most affordable way to travel the city (besides walking), and often faster than driving, especially now that e-bikes have been added to the fleet.

Annual memberships start at $105, and there are also day pass, pay-as-you-go options and discounts for low-income users.

A woman in a hooded jacket with the handlebars and electronic keypad of a bike

Allison Boulton gets ready to get on a Mobi bike on a rainy night in Vancouver.

Allison Boulton of Vancouver didn't think she'd use her city's Mobi bike sharing service, since she owned her own bike. "Oh my — was I wrong!" she wrote to CBC's What on Earth? newsletter.

"A shared bike is perfect for a journey when you’ll have multiple stops and don’t want to keep locking and unlocking your bike."

She also uses it for one-way trips where she might walk or taxi home, or riding with visiting friends. Since joining in 2017, she says she's logged 1,665 kilometres on Mobi.

Bike sharing has now spread to many smaller cities such as Calgary, which offers e-bikes and e-scooters through two private companies, Bird Canada and Neuron. It saw a 25 per cent increase in ridership of those options between 2021 to 2023.

Andrew Sedor, the city's Mobility Initiatives lead, said bikes and scooters provide more transportation options and can help people get from a transit station to their final destination.

Last summer, the city piloted a free transfer between transit and e-bikes or e-scooters at one transit station. Even though it wasn't advertised, it generated 1,100 trips on the bikes and scooters in August alone, and 75 per cent of users surveyed said it made transit more attractive. Now, Calgary is trying to figure out how to integrate a similar free transfer into its entire transit system.

A row of e-bikes in the foreground, a bus in the background

A Calgary pilot last August provided free bikeshare transfers to transit users.

Being able to connect to transit is something bike share users like Jake Roslyn see as a key benefit.

He has moved to Scarborough, on the outskirts of Toronto, and would like to bike to the local Scarborough GO station to get to work. But it doesn't yet have a Bike Share station, and he can't easily get bike parking at his condo building.

"I miss Bike Share dearly, but it needs more transit connectivity," he wrote. "Once it has that, I believe that Bike Share and transit will be the best way to get around."

Some good news: Hanna says a new station, including both conventional and e-bikes, will be added at the Scarborough GO station later this year.

Emily Chung

The web version of this week's newsletter can be found here. Read old issues here. The CBC News climate page is here.

Check out our podcast and radio show. In our newest episode: It's on rooftops. It's on top of old landfills. It's floating on lakes. The Dutch are all in on solar energy. CBC’s international climate correspondent Susan Ormiston takes us there to find out what’s behind the country’s strong solar adoption.

Audio player

What On Earth drops new podcast episodes every Wednesday and Saturday.  You can find them on your favourite podcast app, or on demand at CBC Listen. The radio show airs Sundays at 11 a.m. ET, 11:30 a.m. in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Reader feedback: How Tim Hortons should fill your cup

Jim Bodie of Sherwood Park, Alta., wrote in about his experience bringing a reusable cup to Tim Hortons "to eliminate one plastic cup from their waste each week. Imagine my disappointment as I watched the server prepare my drink in a Tim Hortons [disposable] drink cup, and then pour it into my cup when it was done. Something ventured, but nothing gained. "

We here at What On Earth? have experienced this in Ontario and were also disappointed. So we wrote to Tim Hortons, and they called us back. They said that, in fact, every Tim Hortons franchise is given an equipment kit that includes reusable cups for measuring drinks into customers' reusable cups. Disposable cups should not be used for that purpose. They added that any customer who has had an experience like Bodie's should contact Tim Hortons customer service and share the location where it happened. That way, the employees can be reminded of the waste-free way to serve drinks into reusable cups.

Write us at whato...@cbc.ca.

Do you have a compelling personal story about climate change? Pitch a First Person column here.

The Big Picture: Canada's biggest passive house

Aerial view of student residence

Harmony Commons is a new nine-storey, 746-bed student residence at University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC). Its first residents moved in this past fall. But it achieved another milestone just a couple of months ago — it was certified as Canada's largest passive house building, at 265,000 square feet.

Passive house is a stringent international standard for energy efficiency that relies on airtight construction, efficient insulation and a heat-recovery ventilation system. In a news release, Andrew Arifuzzaman, chief administrative officer for UTSC, said the building has "proven that passive house is an attainable standard for future large-scale developments."

Emily Chung

Hot and bothered: Provocative reads from around the web

A first-of-its-kind solar project is being installed over a canal on tribal land in Arizona. It has a lot of potential, but there are also technical challenges, Canary Media reports.

Ancient technology to make cooling devices for as little as $1 apiece is being revived in India, where heat waves are intense and many people don't have air conditioning.

Animal agriculture is one of the biggest emitters of greenhouse gases, behind burning fossil fuels. A new report finds that instead of going greener, the industry has been using similar tactics to the oil industry to undercut climate policies — with success.

Scientists say they have recorded the first case of a species becoming locally extinct due to sea level rise: the tree cactus of Florida.

From a parking lot back to a pond — that's how McMaster University plans to 'rewild' its west campus

Illustration of a pond with a swan and canoes

A rendering of what McMaster University's west campus, off of Cootes Drive, may one day look like after the parking lots are gone.

Decades ago, McMaster University paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Now, the Hamilton post-secondary school is looking to reverse course and "rewild" its west campus that sits beside the Cootes Paradise nature sanctuary.

Rewilding is a way to re-naturalize environments in degraded locations — an approach that has gained popularity in Europe in recent years, and remains less explored in North America, according to Canada's science agency

It usually involves removing human-built impediments like dams, or in this case pavement, and allowing nature to take back the space. It's an approach being used in the Scottish Highlands and Detroit, and on Vancouver Island

McMaster’s strategy is part of its new master plan developed by international design firm BDP. The project is the firm's first for a post-secondary campus in North America, after working on several in Europe.

The area, west of Cootes Drive, is primed for naturalization, said Yves Bonnardeaux, senior architect with BDP Quadrangle in Toronto.

It's used predominately for surface parking, with more than 1,300 spots, but is also located in a flood plain and surrounded by old growth trees, creeks and trails, he said. Around 800 of those spots are expected to be reclaimed by nature, McMaster said.

"The university sits right beside the kind of eco-park system that links Dundas all the way to the lake, which is super important," said Bonnardeaux.

The area is expected to become an extension of Cootes Paradise, with a pond likely to form after the parking lot is removed.

Parking lot with cars, grass and trees in background

This is one of several parking lots on McMaster's west campus.

The naturalization process at McMaster will be gradual, with BDP recommending the university first find ways to reduce demand for parking to free up the land.

That could include building an above-ground parking structure to replace some spots and creating more on-campus housing so students don't have to commute in, Bonnardeaux said.

The planned light rail transit (LRT) line that will link McMaster to the rest of the city will also be crucial, Bonnardeaux said.

Saher Fazilat, McMaster's vice-president of operations, told CBC Hamilton the university has committed to not developing the west campus any further.

As the rewilding process takes shape, students and faculty may also use the west campus as a "living and learning lab," Fazilat said.

McMaster doesn't have a set timeline for the rewilding project, but it'll be part of achieving its goal of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, said Fazilat.

The new master plan replaces one originally from 2002.

"This time around we wanted to go big and bold with sustainability," said Fazilat.

The 10-year strategy recommends McMaster no longer allow vehicles in the "heart of campus," create more public gathering spaces, as well as embrace its "outstanding natural surroundings."

Samantha Beattie

Thanks for reading. If you have questions, criticisms or story tips, please email us at whato...@cbc.ca.

What on Earth? comes straight to your inbox every Thursday.

Editors: Emily Chung and Hannah Hoag  |  Logo design: Sködt McNalty

Photo credits: Submitted by Jake Roslyn; Aslin_Canada; City of Calgary; Fengate Asset Management; submitted by BDP; Samantha Beattie/CBC.

Share this newsletter

Share on X

or subscribe if this was
forwarded to you.

Follow us
Follow us on Instagram Follow us on X Follow us on TikTok Follow us on YouTube
View in browser Preferences Feedback Unsubscribe
CBC
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
250 Front St. W, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G5, Canada
cbc.radio-canada.ca | radio-canada.ca | cbc.ca