Cost of driving EV vs. ICE

John Hollins

Jul 9, 2024, 10:44:12 AM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to CACOR Climate, cacor-public
Letter in the Globe and Mail, July 9

Members of CACOR already know this, courtesy of our EV pioneers. But I was talking to a car dealer recently who sells the GM EV, a great hunking monstrosity. I don't know his sales pitch, but this would be one, especially if GM had a more modest EV to sell. May be in the works, I don't know.

Last August, my wife and I and two friends drove 2,340 kilometres in our Hyundai Ioniq 5 around southern British Columbia.

We had a 440-km range, and the cost of fuel for the whole trip was $5.25. We stayed in accommodations that provided recharging at no extra cost.

In our old car, we would have spent at least $320 for gasoline. This time, we left no trail of pollution behind.

Charles Krebs North Saanich, B.C.

Cheers,
John

John Hollins

Jul 9, 2024, 10:46:02 AM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to CACOR Climate, cacor-public

John Hollins

Jul 9, 2024, 10:49:21 AM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to CACOR Climate, cacor-public
Letter in the Globe and Mail, July 9

Members of CACOR already know this, courtesy of our EV pioneers. But I was talking to a car dealer recently who sells the GM EV, a great hunking monstrosity. I don't know his sales pitch, but this would be one point, especially if GM had a more modest EV to sell. May be in the works, I don't know.

Art Hunter

Jul 9, 2024, 11:54:03 AM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to CACOR Climate, cacor-public
John:

I charge at home almost exclusively except when on a road trip and then only use public charging stations when necessary.

Last night I was about 100 km down on my normal range of 400 km (max range when fully charged is 566 km) and with my ultra low overnight rate would have cost me about $0.25.   However since I sell excess solar energy to the grid when the sun is shining, I have energy credits I use at night.   So, my "fuel" charge last night was $0.00.

In fact, since last December when I converted my microgrid to mimic a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) using the Ultra-Low Overnight (ULO) rates with time shifting and energy trading, I have not paid anything for EV "fuel".   In fact, I don't pay anything for heating and cooling my home, nothing to heat hot water, nothing to run appliances, nothing to turn the lights on, and everything else you can think of that uses electricity.   In fact, my models tell me that I will end up contributing about $50.00 of Energy to the grid next April when my energy credit account reaches the age of 12 months.   I then start from zero in the account again and leave credits in the grid again in April 2026.

The winners under this arrangement are:

1.  Me, the Hydro One customer with Solar panels, home battery and an EV who configures his microgrid to mimic a Virtual Power Plant.  My home is a Distributed Energy Resource (DER).  Financial benefits are free electricity from here forward.
2.  The grid managers (OEB, OGB, IESO, Hydro One) as they don't have to build distant generators, transmission lines, distribution lines, and other infrastructure, maintain this fragile system with many single points of failure.   With enough DERs they can build a local VPP and delay or eliminate the necessity to build more grid infrastructure.
3.   All the other grid clients in the province.   The rate of increase of energy bills will be reduced and with more VPPs, the rates used may actually stabilize or even reduce.   all due to the results from point 2 above.

Win, win, win.

The VPP build out in California for the next decade is projected to be 25% CAGR during the next 5 years.
and

Our Project Payback, now at version 4.2.2 describes how all this works.

Further, the Ottawa Renewable Energy Coop (OREC) has graciously taken the lead into turning the concept into reality in Ontario.,   We started with Manotick but grew into Ottawa and my have to move the "Local" VPP to Kingston or Cornwall or North Bay or some location that can see the VPP benefits much of the world is enjoying.

Here is a recent email from OREC

Hi all,

Thanks for this, Art & Samrat.

For those of you I don't know, and may be wondering what OREC is working on, a few thoughts. After Art & David shared their vision for a 'community-scale BESS' project, I (as President of OREC) have taken up the mantle of trying to find a way to get this implemented. As you can imagine, there are plenty of obstacles today. Despite everyone we talk to telling us "that's a great idea!", there continue to be practical and especially regulatory restrictions standing in our way. But nobody said getting off fossil fuels was going to be easy!

We're starting working with the powers that be - IESO, OEB, the City of Ottawa, Hydro Ottawa and Hydro One - to see if they can help us overcome the current restrictions, particularly the inability for medium scale parties to implement in-front-of-the-meter energy projects. No promises, but the pilot of a community-scale BESS, especially one which shows the promise to be a relatively turnkey offering for any community to gain energy security through democracy, is worth fighting for.

If you don't know about OREC, please consider joining (online sign-up takes one minute) to help us build local renewable energy in Ontario. Members can also invest to benefit directly - get paid! - from OREC's distributed energy resources (also online, in minutes, through MyOREC, see below).

Thanks,

John Kirkwood

President, OREC
web:
orec.ca
mobile: 613 600-3668
meet:
 book a meeting with me

Exciting things are happening on the grid for those with DER capacity.   The rest are being taken along the pathway to prosperity while going off fossil fuels if they want to or not.   The renewable energy movement is now unstoppable.   The only debate is the speed at which it gets deployed.

Sorry for being so verbose but details are important.

Art