January Monthly Meeting Minutes

Ryan Beal

Jan 4, 2024, 11:36:34 PMJan 4
to Bridger Brew Crew

January Monthly Meeting

Date: Thursday, January 4th, 2024

Location: Shine Beer Sanctuary

Old Biz

  • 2023 Year in Review

    • Month of pint nights at MAP, raffle, tours, beer tasting 101

    • Bridger Brewing facility tour in Three Forks

    • Big Brew Day in front of Shine

    • Katabatic Brew Off

    • Iron Brewer - Steve winning with his Koji Lager

    • Spire Rock Campout and Stein beer - earlier this year to avoid the heat

    • Saison group brew day at Ryan’s

    • Crooked Yard hop farm tour

    • Off-flavor tasting

  • Club Christmas Party - Thanks to Brandon for hosting. Plenty of food and homebrew to go around.

  • Officer Elections - Held at the December meeting/Christmas party. Bruce and Jared are stepping down from their positions. Elected officers for 2024 are shown below. Remaining open positions are VP Membership & Media, Secretary, and Member at Large.

    • President - Evan Rogers

    • VP - Ryan Beal

    • Treasurer - Brandon Whitehead

      *Steve Culiton - nominated for member at large - unanimous vote in favor

  • Iron brewer drawings - Targeting late May for the tasting. Any members that still want to get in on the competition can be assigned an ingredient by officers.

    • Evan - Tangerine

    • Jake - Black Lemon

    • Ryan - Coffee

    • Bob - Jalapeno

    • Brandon - Cinnamon

    • Bruce - Garlic

    • Steve - Maple Syrup

    • Nich - Lavender

      *Email any of the officers if you want to participate and don’t have an ingredient yet.

New Biz

  • Annual membership dues for 2024 are $30.

    Preferred payment method is via the website.

  • Club campout and stein beer brew - We have the group site at Spire Rock Campground reserved for June 28-30th. Same spot as last year.

    *We are looking for a volunteer to lead the brewing effort and decide what kind of beer to make.

  • Open discussion for club events in the coming year. Some possible events:

    • Style tastings

    • Group brew days

    • Brewery tours

    • Malt/Hop tours

    • Educational malt/hop/yeast/water workshops

    • Informal club competitions

      *Tours at Sawdust and Steel, Zesty and/or WildRye.

      *Revisit Bozeman Brewing or Map Brewing

      *Sourdough Bozeman Water plant

      *Gallatin Valley Malt

      *Club competition Suggestions:

      Everyone brews the same recipe compare process

      Same grain different hops/yeast

      Style comp, your interpretation

      Collab competition

      *Next tasting style, planed to start at the April meeting:

      Dark Malty Lagers

      We will hopefully be able to taste and discuss commercial and homebrew examples.

      *We are targeting Late May for the iron brewer tasting and we are also looking for a host for this event.

Stout Tasting

  • Ryan Beal to lead a tasting and discussion of stouts/porters on tap at Shine.

  • We sampled and discussed one milk stout and 2 oatmeal stouts. Ursula Oatmeal stout from Burnt Tree was the overall favorite.