November Meeting Notes - Bridger Brew Crew

erogers427

Nov 6, 2023, 10:13:50 AM11/6/23
to Bridger Brew Crew 2023
Hey Homebrewers,

Thanks to everyone that came to this month's meeting at my house.

The big news for this coming month is the off-flavor tasting hosted by Ryan Beal. That's happening this Saturday (Nov 11). This event is open to everyone, though we ask for a $5-10 donation for non-members to help cover the cost of the kit.

What is an off-flavor tasting and why do we do it? We purchase a kit that contains many of compounds that create the off-flavors in beer. Then we dose a light flavored beer with the different compounds and taste them. This helps us to train our palettes to identify what that flavor is. If you then ever taste that flavor in your own homebrew, you'll know what it is and likely what part of the process to work on to improve your homebrew.

For December, we won't have our typical Thursday meeting, and will instead cover business at our holiday party on Dec 9th. This is a potluck even so bring a dish to share (and if it pairs with the beer you bring, even better). We'll also have our Iron Brewer drawing where whoever wishes to participate puts the name of an ingredient into a hat and then draws to see what ingredient they'll need to brew with for the competition sometime next year.

At October's meeting, we had a style tasting for Saisons (both commercial and homebrewed) to better understand the style. We decided to have a similar tasting for stouts in January. There are quite a few different subcategories of stouts such as dry irish, milk, oatmeal, imperial, and barrel-aged. So this is a good opportunity to learn the differences between them and what you might like to brew. And after all, what's better on a cold January evening than a dark roasty stout?

Remember, club officer elections are coming up. Think about any nominations or any club responsibilities you might want to take on.

As a heads up, keep an eye on Gallatin Homebrew Supplies social media pages for upcoming closed dates due to holidays.

Cheers,
Evan