Items for today's meeting

Breathing Heart Sangha

Aug 30, 2020, 9:56:08 AM8/30/20
to Breathing Heart Sangha
Dear Friends,

  In our meeting today, our teacher Al Lingo asks us to reflect on the Contemplations on the Five Mindfulness Trainings, A New Paradigm For Racial Justice and the Global Pandemic by
Marisela Gomez and Valerie Brown of the Arise Sangha, as presented in their June 2020 Special Newsletter

For the exercise - here is the handout with the 10 Q & A

May your contemplations reveal to you insight....

Earl Daniels
Communications Coordinator

The Second Mindfulness Training: Belonging and Connecting as True Happiness

1 - Aware of the suffering caused by ignorance and aversion of my own and other’s racial, ethnic,
cultural, and social history, its legacy and how this affects me whether I am aware of it or not, I am
committed to connecting to these histories.

Q&A
Am I ignorant and averse to my own racial, ethnic, cultural, and social history?
What are its legacy and affects upon me whether I am aware of it or not?
Need I be committed to connecting to my history?
How am I ignorant and averse to others racial, ethnic, cultural, and social history?
What are the legacy and affects upon me of the histories of others?
Why might it important for me to connect to other's history?

2 - I know that turning toward these histories with an open heart is my journey of awakening to
true belonging.
Q&A
What might I need to do to turn toward these histories with an open heart?
Do I have some understanding already of my journey of awakening to true belonging?

3 - I will take the time to learn the history of the racial and ethnic group with which I identify as
well as for other socially constructed racial and ethnic groups.
Q&A
Can I make time for learning the history of my racial and ethinic group?
Have I a real interest in exploring the history of other socially constructed racial and ethnic
groups?
What is the value of my learning these histories?

4 - Aware that there is no genetic or biological difference between different racial and ethnic
groups, and that these identities were constructed by one group to establish dominance over
others, I will turn toward racial and other forms of othering with an open heart and compassionate
action.
Q&A
How have I become aware that there is no genetic or biological difference between racial and ethnic
groups?
Is it true for me that different identities were constructed by one group to establish dominance
over others?
What might I do to turn toward racial and other forms of othering with an open heart and
compassionate action?

5 - I know that this history has led to fragmentation inside and outside body and mind and brought
much suffering to all beings.

Q&A
What is my experience of fragmentation inside and outside body and mind?
How has my personal history contributed to the suffering of all beings?

6 - I vow to transform this suffering through the practice of connecting with an open heart.
Q&A
How have I ever decided to work on transforming a present suffering?
What skills have I developed toward connecting to my suffering with an open heart?

7 - I will notice when emotions of belonging and othering arise and I will ask myself ‘why’?
Q&A
What are personal examples of emotions of belonging? Of othering?
How might I be more attentive to emotions of either belonging or othering?

8 - Whatever feelings, perceptions, or mental formations arise, I will embrace and when needed
engage with love in action.
Q&A
How do I normally recognize feelings, or perceptions, and mental formations?
What does it mean to embrace arising feelings, perceptions, or mental formations?

9 - I am committed to practicing Right Resolve, Right Speech, Right Action, and Right Livelihood
so I can help relieve this legacy of racial and social suffering.
Q&A:
What might be a brief succinct statement for: Right Resolve?
Right Speech?
Right Action?
Right Livelihood?
How might I help relieve my/our legacy of racial and social suffering?

10 - I will practice looking deeply to see that true happiness is not possible without true
connecting leading to belonging and understanding.
Q&A:
What are my practice skills of looking deeply?
How am I convinced that true happiness is not possible without true connecting?
What might the journey be that leads us to belonging and understanding?