standby for takeoff

1 view

Jeremy Birch

Oct 15, 2008, 11:59:33 AM10/15/08
We believe that the main planning application for the expansion of Bristol International Airport (BIA) will be submitted before Christmas, maybe as early as the start of November.

We will only have 3 weeks to object to the plans so we need to prepare for it now. We will again be distributing a large number of leaflets by post, door-to-door, on stalls and in the street and we will need volunteers to help with this process. If you can help by distributing 200 leaflets in your own area (which should take around an hour) then please contact us at em...@stopbia.com and tell us your name, the best way to contact you (phone or email details) and the postcode / streets where you can distribute leaflets. Last time we managed to get 5250 responses (versus 250 from the airport) and managed to change the council's mind. This time we want to do even better.

If you can't put leaflets around, then please consider a small donation to help us pay for the leaflets, postage and other costs. Visit www.stopbia.com/donate to find out how.

For those who have lost track of developments, BIA has increased from 4 million passengers in 2004 to 6.6million today and aims to hit 10 million by 2016. The departing planes emitted more carbon dioxide in 2005 than all the cars in Bristol, and the planned passenger increase will cancel out a major part of local reductions in emissions from all other sectors. Most passengers get to the airport by car - so this generates even more pollution, congestion and loss of green belt to car parks, as well as making life hell in several nearby villages. And all of this for very dubious economic benefits - in 2007 the passengers increased by 300,000 but there were no extra jobs, and as most of the passengers are Brits outbound on holiday this generates a tourism deficit of £500m per year and growing. At a time of climate, oil and financial crises it makes little sense to expand airports.

If you want to find out more about Stop Bristol Airport Expansion, please visit www.stopbia.com

Cheers

Jeremy