BLOC Talk 2/26/24

1 view

Scott L. Replogle

Feb 26, 2024, 11:17:26 PMFeb 26
to Boulder BLOC
image001.jpg       image003.jpg

BLOC TALK
2/26/24

IN GENERAL:

No meeting this week! Enjoy your extended end of February.

Jim H SEZ:

Our speaker for the next regular meeting on Wednesday , March 6,  will be John Vahlenkamp, Senior Editor of the Daily Camera.  He will talk about “Finding Truth in the News”.   Mark your calendars and plan to come to this one.  I am sure everyone will have opinions and questions to contribute to this program.

I am also excited to report that John Vahlenkamp, Editor of the Daily Camera, will speak to us on March 6 about “Finding the Truth in the News:  The Role of Local Newspapers”.   We are all seeing a lot of misinformation from many sources, and are anxious about the steady increase in fake news.  We know this is going to explode this year due to politics, AI, and other reasons, so plan to come out and hear some ways to discern the truth before we pass it on to others.  Plan now to come and bring your questions and ideas.  I think this will be a great discussion!

We are somewhat limited in our menu choices due to cost and our need to get our food out from the kitchen quickly, but we try to provide some variety.   Please email me (jimdr...@msn.com) with any personal food intolerance or allergies, and with any strong likes and dislikes, and I will do my best to accommodate your needs within our budget.

The Denver Broncos are again requiring payment for the club’s four season tickets for 2024-25 at this time.  I have made payment so that we do not lose them permanently.  The cost is $3280 for all 4 for 2 preseason and 8 regular home games.  If any member besides me wants to purchase a pair for the season, contact me at jimdr...@msn.com  or 303-929-4225 in the next week or two.   I am prepared to use them all for my family if no one else wants to buy a pair for $1640.  I may have a pair available to sell for a few games during the season, but that is not guaranteed.   If you want to be contacted during the season for a single game pair that I cannot use, let me know and I will contact you before putting them up on ticketmaster for non-club members to purchase.

Bill A SEZ:

District Conference Feb 24, 2024 at Assistance League of Denver. Barb Dank and I were in attendance.
The Assistance League has an outstanding facility. They serve youth, as we do, and have a program where they supply school supplies and clothes to the neediest of children. They also have a thrift store if you are in need of clothing and would lie really great prices.
This conference focused on Mental Wellness. We had some outstanding speeches, one from our own Dee Marie which focused on using meditation as a tool to reduce stress. The speeches were well received.
Various clubs gave reports about their projects. Various awards were given out as well.
Everyone should consider attending one of these in the future. They are really worthwhile.

One of the outstanding programs originating from Bill Cassel and the Wheat Ridge club is Noah's ARC This is a program that puts together kits for kids suffering from autism. The kits are provided to first responders as a first aid tool for kids experiencing an autism event. The various components in the kits help settle these children down when they are experiencing one of these events. I will be presenting this at our next board meeting for consideration.

All in all, a great time. We have some outstanding folks across our district. Conferences are a great way to meet different Optimiists and learn a few things at the same time.

Bill Ashbee Governor-Elect CO/WY District

Makenna W SEZ:

We have a new website and I would love to have everyone check it out once you get a chance! Feel free to set up your member login by clicking on the BLOC Members page and clicking the link at the top to create a profile. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! I will link our new site below.

Would love to know if anyone would be interested in helping me keep the website updated. We can grab coffee and I can walk through the admin portal functions.

Barb D SEZ:

The 2nd quarter Conference was held in Denver on Saturday. What an interesting and informative day. The Conference was all about self care, stress, coping techniques,  and lots of deep breathing.

Dee Marie, BLOC longtime member, was one of the speakers and did a fantastic job. Her presentation focused on Calming Kids,  a program that goes into schools and teaches yoga, relaxation, and self love.  So inspiring! Thank you Dee for being such a wonderful representative of our club.

Our club did receive our patch for our participation in the "Dime a Day" fundraising event.  I was very proud to accept the patch on behalf of our club.  Well done everyone!!

I always enjoy going to District events as I get to connect with other clubs and share ideas, etc. We are a strong District,  doing great things throughout Colorado Communities. I strongly encourage anyone to attend our quarterly conferences and District outings. These events recharge me and keep me focused on how important our work is to our community.

I hope you all are doing well and enjoying the nice weather.  Be kind and continue to share our mission.

Much love 💙
OI SEZ:

Nothing new to report

Colorado Wyoming Optimist District 25 SEZ:

Nothing new to report

Goings On:

Lunar eclipse coming up...

Lyrics for the Day: reminded me of college days...

We come on the Sloop John B

My grandfather and me

Around Nassau town we did roam

Drinking’ all night

Got into a fight

Well I feel so broke up

I wanna go home

Cartoons for the Day:

image.png274738713_10158764402592406_7298073181435079345_n.jpeg