BLOC Talk 2/19/24

Scott L. Replogle

Feb 19, 2024, 3:47:53 PMFeb 19
to Boulder BLOC
image001.jpg       image003.jpg

BLOC TALK
2/19/24

IN GENERAL:

Meeting this week! B there or B-Squared Advertising - Today is National “Learn What Your Name Means Day”!  We are B2 Advertising, and we mean business… literally B-Squared means that  we will bring exponential growth for your business.png

Jim H SEZ:

Our speaker at our next meeting on February 21 will be Stephanie Gnoza, from the Boulder County Clerk and Recorder’s office, informing us of local Election Process and Security, a topic of concern for nearly everyone in this election year.  Thanks to Gary Phippen for setting this up.  This was originally scheduled for the meeting that was canceled due to broken pipes at Backcountry.  Come on out to get the facts and bring your questions.

I am also excited to report that John Vahlenkamp, Editor of the Daily Camera, will speak to us on March 6 about “Finding the Truth in the News:  The Role of Local Newspapers”.   We are all seeing a lot of misinformation from many sources, and are anxious about the steady increase in fake news.  We know this is going to explode this year due to politics, AI, and other reasons, so plan to come out and hear some ways to discern the truth before we pass it on to others.  Plan now to come and bring your questions and ideas.  I think this will be a great discussion!

We are somewhat limited in our menu choices due to cost and our need to get our food out from the kitchen quickly, but we try to provide some variety.   Please email me (jimdr...@msn.com) with any personal food intolerance or allergies, and with any strong likes and dislikes, and I will do my best to accommodate your needs within our budget.

The Denver Broncos are again requiring payment for the club’s four season tickets for 2024-25 at this time.  I have made payment so that we do not lose them permanently.  The cost is $3280 for all 4 for 2 preseason and 8 regular home games.  If any member besides me wants to purchase a pair for the season, contact me at jimdr...@msn.com  or 303-929-4225 in the next week or two.   I am prepared to use them all for my family if no one else wants to buy a pair for $1640.  I may have a pair available to sell for a few games during the season, but that is not guaranteed.   If you want to be contacted during the season for a single game pair that I cannot use, let me know and I will contact you before putting them up on ticketmaster for non-club members to purchase.

Bill A SEZ:

Hello All,,
As advisor to our president, Toby, I am focusing on member engagement. For that I would like each of the committee chairs to generate a document describing the goals, activity, and tasks defined. No task is too small. Studies have shown that this will help energize our membership and more members will feel a part of our effort: We should have a minimum of 6 members per project. (6 would be a goal)
Here is a list of who I think are committee chairs:
  1. Citizenship: Marty
  2. Youth Appreciation: Lisa
  3. Precious Child: Gary
  4. Bolder Boulder-Jim
  5. San Juan Christmas-Catherine
  6. Respect for Law: ??
  7. JOI: Barb & Sara
Makenna W SEZ:

We have a new website and I would love to have everyone check it out once you get a chance! Feel free to set up your member login by clicking on the BLOC Members page and clicking the link at the top to create a profile. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! I will link our new site below.

Thanks,

Barb D SEZ:

Congratulations on another successful Brain Bowl Championship Event on Saturday at Hamilton Middle School. The kids had a wonderful time and were very excited and inspirational to all of us.  Thank you to the BLOC Heads that came out and made the day special for everyone.  Well done! 💙

Lisa and Asia
Bill A
Marty
Scott O
(If I missed a name, I apologize)

Justice High JOI

There are two more basketball games to go before the "Finals" for the boys team. If you can come out and support the team,  it would be fantastic.

Justice v. DELTA
February 14
2:00 pm - Court 2

Justice v. CHSC
February 23
2:55 pm - Court 1

Games are all played at:
The Courts
11295 Washington Street
Northglenn CO 80233

Coach D (Daryl Mullins) will be there.  Please make sure to say hello to him - he is one of our biggest supporters for JOI.

CU Football Home Games for 2024 Season

SAVE THE DATES!

North Dakota v. Buffs
August 31 (Sat)

Baylor v. Buffs
September 21 (Sat)

Kansas State v. Buffs
October 12 (Sat)

Cincinnati v. Buffs
October 26 (Sat)

Utah v. Buffs
November 16 (Sat)

OSU v. Buffs
November 29 (Fri)

I will not be able to provide kickoff time for all games until August.  Please make sure these dates are saved so we can be more successful than last year.

Scott 1 SEZ:

Brainbowl pix:

20240210_144246.jpeg20240210_143146.jpeg20240210_142928.jpeg

Sara SEZ:

Justice HS — Lively discussion in AP History. Some senior's thoughts!

IMG_3483.jpgIMG_3484.jpgIMG_3487.jpgIMG_3485.jpgIMG_3476.jpgIMG_3478.jpgIMG_3479.jpg
OI SEZ:

Optimist International Proposed Restated Bylaws

The Optimist International Board of Directors will be proposing the Restated OI Bylaws at the Annual Business Meeting of the 2024 Annual Convention. Please click here to learn moreand read the proposed Restated Bylaws.

The deadline for member feedback has been extended to Friday, February 18. All comments should be emailed to: headqu...@optimist.org by the end of the day Friday.

The final draft of the Proposed Restated Bylaws will be distributed to Clubs by March 24, 2024.

Colorado Wyoming Optimist District 25 SEZ:

609a1903-2736-4e25-8226-4b55fc47aadb.png

Registration $40 until February 15, 2024

Late registration $50 until February 20, 2024

REGISTRATION PROCESS

All registration is online on the district website (no paper forms or checks to mail!)

https://www.optimistcowy.org/conferences/

Look for the registration instructions in the yellow box to walk you through the process.

You will need to create an account to login and register, but one person can register multiple people for the conference.

Pay with a credit or debit card right in the registration database or click through

to your PayPal account.

For technical support with the new registration process, email opti...@smalldatabasesolutions.com

Or if you are having any difficulties registering, contact

Laura Mitchell, 720 339-6311.

Can't wait to see you soon!

S.png
CLICK FOR AGENDA

Goings On:

Warmer weather! See you at the meeting Weds.

Lyrics for the Day:

No one knows what it's likeTo be the bad manTo be the sad manBehind blue eyes
No one knows what it's likeTo be hatedTo be fatedTo telling only lies
But my dreams they aren't as emptyAs my conscience seems to beI have hours only lonelyMy love is vengeance that's never free

Cartoons for the Day:

toon-1228.gifd9694aedbeae53bb45f75466ea5e1316.jpegToon-12601.gif