Hooded Warbler at Cold Spring Park in Newton

Paul Peterson

May 15, 2024, 4:09:29 PMMay 15
to Massbird MASSBIRD, Boston Birds
Hi,
At  3:00, I heard a warbler song that I thought was a Chestnut-sided Warbler. Luckliy, I finally tracked the bird down and was extremely delight to see a Hooded Warbler. It was singing frequently. Simply park at the entrance area off Beacon St. Then go over the footbridge to the four-way intersection (a rather short walk. Take a right towrds the off-leash dog park. A short way down, listen for the song. When I first saw it, it was up a bit on the ridge on the left. It looked to be hawking insects. this was about sixty feet up in some trees. A little bit later, the bird was singing from the swamp just on the right side of the path.

Osprey 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1        same spot in swamp at least for three years in a row
Warbling Vireo 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Fish Crow x    heard
Cedar Waxwing 12
Northern Waterthrush 1
HOODED WARBLER 1
Northern Parula 1
Comon Yellowthroat 3+
Yellow Warbler 1
Swamp Sparrow 1      singing
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 3
Scarlet Tanager 2    one near Hooded Warbler
Orchard Oriole 1      Beaconswood Rd. area
Baltimore Oriole 1+

Paul Peterson
peterso...@yahoo.com
Boston.