A wonderful experience

ron govin

Dec 2, 2014, 6:31:03 AM12/2/14
to blin...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to share an experience I had last Sunday at church which
was exciting and humbling at the same time. I don't share this
to brag or boast in any way, but do so but more as an
encouragement to us that when we put ourselves out to our
congregations, in any way we bless them as wel as ourselves.
Over the past 42 yearsI've been in the Church, I've had many
oppotorunities to pass and bless the sacrament and so it it's a
very natural way for me to serve. Every time I do bless the
sacrament I still feel a great responsibility to say the prayer
correctly, and with some feeling to emphasize the principles
therein.
Sister Govin and I came into the chapel about ten minutes early
for sacrament meeting and sat down. We are a small ward and, as
a result we don't have any priests and so it is not un-mon to
have one of the elders or high priests to bless the sacrament. I
always check to see if their are enough brethren to bless the
sacrament and volunteer when I can. Sister Govin then told me
that these was only one brother sitting at the table. It
happened to be Brother Westberg, my high priest group leader. I
went up to him and asked if anyone had offered to assist. He
indicated noone had and I imly volunteered. He asked would I use
the Doctrine and Covenants or the Book of Mormon, which I already
have in my Braille Note. I said I had downloaded the sacrament
card that's on the bench for the priests to use from the web to
the Apex. He asked if I would bless the water, which again,
can sometimes be the harder of the two because of the wording
being somewhat different. I said I would.
I said I would and the meeting proceeded. Everything went well.
I needed some help with protocol, such as moving the cloth from
the bread to cover the water until it was that, but it all worked
out. When it came time to bless the water I did so, feeling a
responsibility to say it correctly but to also add the proper
inflections I felt were important.
People seemed to be amazed and grateful at the same time and I
got lots of compliments.
I'm sure that in the future I will be alked again to bless the
sacrament because I reached out and utilized the talents I've
been to share. It might be said, "You had your wife with you and
she could see there was noone at the sacrament table." If she
wasn't there, I could sit in the front row where the sacrament
table and listen for indications of whether there were Brethren
there to bless or pass the sacrament. I would then, and have
before this, offer to help.
It's a blessing for me when I bless the sacrament and I've
learned that people are very receptive and sometimes overly
gracious. We have to reach out often so we show we're part of
this wonderful family we have in the gospel-that in some small
way we can help all come unto Christ and parttake of his
Goodness. That's what this is all abdde

Sandy England

Dec 2, 2014, 9:32:52 AM12/2/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Great idea and what a blessing! Good job! WE all could learn a thing or two if we reached out
!

Sandy England
Home Phone in California: 530-824-4134
Home Phone in Utah: 801-282-1905
Cell Phone: 801-634-8002
--
-- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Blind Latter-day Saints group. To post to this group, send email to blin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to blindlds+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/blindlds?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.

Greg Kearney

Dec 2, 2014, 10:02:12 AM12/2/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Good for you Ron. We should all be proactive in doing good work and not feel like we have to be called or asked to do so.

I noticed however that you word seemed surprised that you did this. I find that reaction troubling as if they were saying: "Why look a blind man is blessing the sacrament" why shouldn't a blind man bless the sacrament? Or be a Scoutmaster? Elders Quorum President, Nursery teacher, or Bishop? See what I am saying?

I once home taught a deaf couple who spoke only sign language. This good brother was one of the best Scoutmasters I have ever seen and all the boys learned a second language as well. When he would bless the sacrament he did so in sign language, we did not "voice" the prayers for the ward, we simply told everyone to open their eyes and watch him as he gave the prayers.

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
605 Robson Street, Suite 850
Vancouver BC V6B 5J3
CANADA