CANAPE - super endemism and mixed endemism

Jack D Sparrow

Jun 1, 2018, 7:52:52 AM6/1/18
to Biodiverse Users
I have a query regarding the assigning of super and mixed endemism to  plots from the CANAPE analysis.  From what I understand super endemism is assigned only if both PE_orig and PE_alt are in the 1% significance range.  Else, they are assigned to mixed endemism.  So plots assigned to mixed endemism have one of three scenarios: (1) PE_alt is in 5% significance range but not PE_orig (2) PE_orig is in 5% significance range, but not PE_alt (3) both PE_orig and PE_alt are in 5% (but not 1%) significance range.  If that is correct, my query is can these 3 scenarios be indicative of different types of mixed endemism, or are they not distinguishable to any specific types?  In my dataset I have paleo endemic plots, neoendemic plots, and mixed endemic plots, among which some show scenario (3) and others show scenario (1).

Shawn Laffan

Jun 1, 2018, 10:12:14 PM6/1/18
to biodiver...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jack,

Your interpretation of the scenarios is correct, and delving into the mixed category as you suggest would be an interesting idea to pursue.

One can see some of the effects in Fig 3b of the original paper:  https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms5473/figures/3

That figure has axes of PE values, as opposed to significance scores, but the coloured dots represent the significance categories of palaeo, neo and mixed.  I would expect the light purple dots to show some differentiation, possibly for those near the edge of the boundaries between mixed and neo/palaeo.

Regards,
Shawn.

On 1/06/2018 21:52, Jack D Sparrow wrote:
I have a query regarding the assigning of super and mixed endemism to  plots from the CANAPE analysis.  From what I understand super endemism is assigned only if both PE_orig and PE_alt are in the 1% significance range.  Else, they are assigned to mixed endemism.  So plots assigned to mixed endemism have one of three scenarios: (1) PE_alt is in 5% significance range but not PE_orig (2) PE_orig is in 5% significance range, but not PE_alt (3) both PE_orig and PE_alt are in 5% (but not 1%) significance range.  If that is correct, my query is can these 3 scenarios be indicative of different types of mixed endemism, or are they not distinguishable to any specific types?  In my dataset I have paleo endemic plots, neoendemic plots, and mixed endemic plots, among which some show scenario (3) and others show scenario (1).

Assoc Prof Shawn Laffan
  School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
  UNSW, Sydney 2052, Australia
  Tel +61 2 9385 8093
  http://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/staff/shawn-laffan
  https://shawnlaffan.github.io/biodiverse (free diversity analysis software)

  Asia-Pacific Editor
  International Journal of Geographical Information Science
  http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/ijgis

  UNSW CRICOS Provider Code 00098G