culture and civilization

kayo

Nov 13, 2010, 9:46:11 AM11/13/10
to Biocosmology
Dear All

I try to show distinction between culture and civilization at the
below.

<culture>
In the case of Konstantin S.Khrouthki as philosopher, Konstantin
S.Khrouthki(2007) indicated Evolution process of socio cultural system
that is affected with spiral process of Real cosmist by Aristotelian,
Anti Cosmist by dualistic thought like Kantian, A Cosmist by
Platonist, Real Cosmist by Neo Aristotelian. Theses categorizations
are based on difference of worldview.

In the case of Pitrim A.Sorokin as sociologist, while he investigated
a lot of arts, science, myth, religion and philosophy for exploration
of cultural system, he(1957) indicated shift of civilization as
fluctuation of social and cultural dynamic system. He suggested
sociocultural evolution process as social and cultural dynamics by
dynamic fluctuation between sensate culture and ideational culture.
The former concerns material civilization by visual like nature. The
later concerns ideational culture with formal symbolic like God in the
western world. Pitrium A.Sorokin indicated supersystem as integration
between sensate culture and ideational culture. For example, by
investigation of style of European pictures and sculptures, he
discovered 4 waves of visual style(sensate) and Ideational (Formal
symbolic), expressionistic and Mixed. Especially, Ideational culture
was center before 12th. When Mixed emerged from linkage between
sensate and ideational after 12 th, rate between Mixed and Ideational
became about half and half. Sensate exceeded 50% and Ideational
declined to 29.2% at 14th. Though the sensate became 90% since 17th,
Sensate declined and expressionistic increased since 20th. We can
observe cultural dynamics at table of the below.

Style Before the 10th 10th-11th 12th-13th 14th-15th BeforeThe 16 th
17th 18th 19th 20th
Visual(sensate) 13.4 2.3 6.0 53.6 72.0 90.6 96.4 95.5 61.5
Ideational(Formal, symbolic) 77.0 92.2 51.1 29.2 20.3 5.9 2.5 0.3 0.7
Expressionistic - - - - - - - 2.8 35.5
Mixed 9.6 5.5 42.9 17.2 7.7 3.5 1.1 1.4 2.3
Table : each specified style of European pictures and sculptures for
the centuries
Quotation: Pitrium A.Sorokin(1941)”The Crisis of Our Ages”, pp.
40,.Oneworld Publications Ltd

Thus socio cultural dynamic fluctuation may be adapted to middle span
of Fernand Braudel.

<civilization>
Fernand Braudel as histolian thought 3spans that show long span with
geographical phase concerning criminate and vegetation and landform,
middle span with social phase concerning economy and society and
culture, short span with political and military phase.
Probably, dynamic fluctuation by Sorokin is adapted to middle span.

Civilization has multilayer conjunction of daily lifestyles by people.
Material civilization is stricture for dynamic fluctuation and
organization of sociocultural system. Gradual multilayer conjunction
by network and organization of markets that development of technology
facilitated configured material civilization. The sociocultural system
cannot evolve or occur dynamic fluctuation without trade by market and
technology. Sociocultural system evolves with market and technology.
For example, most of sociocultures was developed near market for trade
of goods, labor and service. While the development and discovery of
technology can create not only linkage of diverse markets as node but
also reconfiguration of market for efficient and effective of supply
and demand, development of technology is affected to sociocultural
system. For example, we can observe spread to global market from
regional markets by technological development for transport and
distribution.

Material civilization is structure with multilayer conjunction for
consumption and trading of material between social system and our
lifestyle that human-beings keep on creating and handing on in
historical long span.

Structure as organism is schematization of order and measure for
integration and differentiation. The measures and orders for exchange
of material in process between production and providing of material is
configured in material civilization as structure.

We can observe the measures and orders for exchange of material in
market system as multilayer conjunction of various markets. Mainly,
market system is configured by 3 markets that local market, national
market and global market.

In modern economy, we find global market as international financial
market and trade as well as international trading of goods and
services. We find national market as domestic financial trade and
financial market as well as domestic trading goods and services. We
find local market as regional financial trade and trading good and
services. These market and trade make conjunct multilayer as market
system.

Not only process between product and supply of goods, labor and
service but also process of finance and trading is transformed to
process of consumption of substance as material including fossil fuel
as energy. Because all our lifestyle concerns consumption of material
and energy.

Origin of material civilization derived from development of irrigation
system of Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, India, the central Andes, and
Mesoamerica between B.C.800 and B.C.4000. The development of
irrigation system by development of technology occurred not only
safety of food supply but also development of trading and promotion.
Furthermore, notational system and measuring technique was needed for
saving and growth of product. And thus social systems began
accumulation to city.

In sum, though cultural system has dynamic fluctuation in middle span,
civilization has slower time span.

Konstantin

Nov 13, 2010, 3:32:30 PM11/13/10
to Biocosmology
Hi,
A cornerstone is the direction of life activity.
For instance, Kayo wrote: “Because all our lifestyle concerns
consumption of material and energy. ”
In turn, Aristotle spoke that we always have two options: “to eat for
living and to live for eating” (wherein “eating” means consumption).
Regards,
K.Khroutski