FW: theory lunch, friday 17 feb, 12 noon, alpert 563

Joanne Luciano

Feb 16, 2006, 8:44:56 AM2/16/06
to BioPAX...@googlegroups.com, Tom Stambaugh, ferrante, jluc...@gmail.com
FYI....

-----Original Message-----
From: theory [mailto:THE...@LISTSERV.MED.HARVARD.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Gunawardena
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:44 PM
To: THE...@LISTSERV.MED.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: theory lunch, friday 17 feb, 12 noon, alpert 563

folks

this weeks theory lunch will be given by greg meredith, formerly of
microsoft research, on "covergent revolutions: computer science and
biology". greg has been one of the pioneers in using "process algebras"
for implementing complex systems and he is going to tell us about the role
they might play in systems biology. further details, including pointers to
papers, can be found in the usual place:

> http://vcp.med.harvard.edu/tl-schedule.html

best,

jeremy.

--
Jeremy Gunawardena
Department of Systems Biology

zucker

Feb 17, 2006, 2:06:13 AM2/17/06
to BioPAX...@googlegroups.com, Tom Stambaugh, ferrante, jluc...@gmail.com
Thanks for the link, Joanne.

I'll definitely be there. I've been reviewing Aviv's papers on BioSPI
and Robin Milner's papers on Pi Calculus this evening. Takes a while to
re-acquaint oneself with the notation.

Greg Meredith gave a provocative presentation at the 2004 Semantic Web
for Life Sciences meeting that was less-than-well-received. But he
definitely makes you think.

If anyone else is coming, perhaps we can have an impromptu BioPAX-boston
meeting afterwards at HMS? (btw, Joanne, could you bring my Pi Calculus
book with you tomorrow? Duncan Hull left it with you).

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Joanne Luciano

Feb 17, 2006, 7:11:49 AM2/17/06
to BioPAX...@googlegroups.com, Tom Stambaugh, ferrante, jluc...@gmail.com
Jeremy,

Yes let's have a BioPAX Boston meeting afterwards. I have only until
2 possibly 2:30 but others can stay as long as they like.

I'll bring your pi calc. book, no prob.

Are you able to meet beforehand for a pre-talk talk?
I've just recently printed off Aviv's paper (the one I'm referring to is
this http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/udi/papers/pi_calculus.pdf). In
particular I'm interested to see if pi-calculus can be used with an
ontology to keep track of changes that occur with the event(s) that
caused it (them).

Albert Atrium Cafeteria at 11:00?

Joanne

Alan Ruttenberg

Feb 17, 2006, 9:53:45 AM2/17/06
to BioPAX...@googlegroups.com
Won't be able to make it - have a meeting that overlaps. Have fun.
-Alan

Joanne Luciano

Feb 17, 2006, 11:06:38 AM2/17/06
to BioPAX...@googlegroups.com, Tom Stambaugh, ferrante, jluc...@gmail.com
Something came up and I can't make the pre-meeting meeting.
I'll see you at the Theory Lunch and after.