Fwd: Re: [discuss] [OT?] Accuracy of Architectural Drawings from 1895?

giovanni_re

Nov 3, 2013, 1:03:32 PM11/3/13
to BTG
--- Original message -----
From: Marc Gabriel <marc...@yahoo.com>
To: James Arthur <i...@jamesarthur.info>
Cc: "dis...@artisansasylum.com" <dis...@artisansasylum.com>, Zebbler
Peter Berdovsky <zeb...@zebblerstudios.com>
Subject: Re: [discuss] [OT?] Accuracy of Architectural Drawings from
1895?
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 08:31:41 -0400

As an architect the accuracy of the drawings can be subjective:

- dimension strings dictate over actual scaling of drawing (this differs
from mechanical/engineering documents). Scaling of drawings is a last
resort, this is dependent on the actual scale of the drawing, the line
weight, the media used (linen or vellum), and the skill of the draftsmen
(since these drawings were drawn by hand and pencil/ink).

- Using drawings that have been published in a book (I assume since
there are page numbers on some of the sheets) may or may not be
accurate. Usually published renderings/elevations can be artistic
representations of the building.

- very ornate details may change during the "shop drawing" process and
the end product will be representative of the original design intent,
due to limitations of the material/craftsmen.

To echo Jason's responses it is good to "as-built" the facade not
necessarily the whole thing but elements to verify the accuracy of the
drawings.

The reason the drawings are probably not available from the Library or
City is that the architect owns the design/drawings and typically they
are retained at the office of the architect, but since McKim, Mead, &
White and their successors are all defunct the NYHS retains the rights
to the documents.

With that said nothing beats an actual set of full scale documents,
sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to NYC!

Marc Gabriel, RA LEED AP BD+C

Sent from my iPad

>>> i...@jamesarthur.info

--- Join the BerkeleyTIP-Global mail list - http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal. All Freedom SW, HW & Culture.