2010 Mon Oct 4 4-6PM, GRAND ILLUSION -one of the greatest films ever made

giovanni_re

Oct 4, 2010, 1:35:39 AM10/4/10
to BTL
So, I finally send something to the berkeley only list. :) ;)

I don't know if it is $free or not. Berkeley City College is in
downtown Berkeley.

==
First Mondays with the BCC Film Library

Film screenings from the Janus Collection
Co-sponsored by the Library and the Arts & Cultural Studies Department
WHEN: THE FIRST MONDAY OF THE MONTH 4-6pm
WHERE: THE BCC AUDITORIUM (ROOM 21)
Films will be introduced by Humanities Professor, Laura Ruberto

GRAND ILLUSION

Director: Jean Renoir France 1937

MONDAY, OCTOBER 4TH (4-6PM RM 21)

Synopsis from the Janus Collection: One of the very first prison escape
movies, Grand Illusion is hailed as one of the greatest films ever made.
Jean Renoir’s antiwar masterpiece stars Jean Gabin and Pierre Fresnay
as French soldiers held in a World War I German prison camp, and Erich
von Stroheim as the unforgettable Captain von Rauffenstein.

http://www.berkeleycitycollege.edu/wp/library/2010/09/08/first-mondays-with-the-bcc-film-library/

http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,9dcfc1/srt,0/lowellmoorcroft?v=4&t=1286208000&i=62659&pv=1&wt=1286064000

==
http://www.berkeleycitycollege.edu/wp/library/2010/09/08/first-mondays-with-the-bcc-film-library/

UGETSU

Director: Kenji Mizoguchi Japan 1953

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1ST (4-6PM RM 21)

Synopsis from the Janus Collection: “Quite simply one of the greatest
of filmmakers,” said Jean-Luc Godard of Kenji Mizoguchi. And Ugetsu, a
ghost story like no other, is surely the Japanese director’s supreme
achievement. Derived from stories by Akinari Ueda and Guy de Maupassant,
this haunting tale of love and loss—with its exquisite blending of the
otherworldly and the real—is one of the most beautiful films ever
made.

VIRIDIANA

Director: Luis Buñuel Spain 1961

MONDAY, DECEMBER 6TH (4-6PM RM 21)

Synopsis from the Janus Collection: Banned in Spain and denounced by the
Vatican, Luis Buñuel’s irreverent vision of life as a beggar’s
banquet is regarded by many as his masterpiece. In it, novice nun
Viridiana does her utmost to maintain her Catholic principles, but her
lecherous uncle and a motley assemblage of paupers force her to confront
the limits of her idealism. Winner of the Palme d’or at the 1961
Cannes Film Festival, Viridiana is as audacious today as ever.

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture