Beneteau Moorings 38 Automatic Bilge Pump Actuation

mbsh...@bellsouth.net

Mar 29, 2024, 10:38:32 AMMar 29
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Listmates

I’ve encountered a situation that I’ve not faced since I purchased my Beneteau Moorings 38 back in 1990.  The automatic bilge pump is activated by air pressure that builds up in a small bell shaped housing that rests in the bilge trough.  As water fills the trough, the air in the housing is displaced upwards and the increased pressure triggers the primary bilge pump until the water is removed and the pressure subsides.  Last weekend I was aboard and found more than enough water in the bilge to have activated the pump.  I pulled the bell shaped housing off of the clear plastic tubing that leads to the pump and gently blew in the tubing.  The pump activated and with my finger covering the tubing the pump remained on until the water was evacuated.  I disassembled the bell shaped housing from it’s “foot” and confirmed that no debris was present.  My local mechanic advises that the pump itself does not have an adjustment such that it can be set to turn on with lower air pressure.

Nota bene:  The pump itself has been replaced at least twice over the last 34 years but the current pump has properly activated since installation.

Does anyone have experience with this type of actuator?  Any suggestions on how to ensure that the automatic bilge pump kicks in as intended?

Thanks, as always, for your guidance.

Mike

Michael B. Shapiro

mbsh...@bellsouth.net