Bow damage - what to do?

jr.pe...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 12:01:25 PMMay 22
to Beneteau Owners
Hey Everyone -

Sustained some anchor damage last summer to the bow. Looking for advice on how to fix this.

I got an official quote from the marina I store the boat at and it was $4400. Thats not in the budget so I will have to embark on this myself. Luckily I have a friend who has done this work before and can help.

Here is the work the marina quoted:
- Repair with fiberglass and polyester resin
- Fair in polyester filler
- Sand smooth and apply gelcoat tinted to Beneteau white - RAL 9016
- When cured - sand and polish.

A neighboring guy in the yard suggested using a filler (epoxy repair kits) then coating with color matched gelcoat.

What do you think?

IMG_5736 Large.jpeg

RichSail99

May 23, 2024, 10:14:18 PMMay 23
to Beneteau Owners
hard to tell but it doesn't look like there is structural damage.  So fairing and gel coat seems the right way to go.  keep us in the loop

Mark J Wilme

May 23, 2024, 10:28:00 PMMay 23
to beneteau-owners
Agree with what the yard has outlined in terms of materials etc.  It looks like it is far enough above the water line that you could do it at the dock if your marina allows it (environmental regs and all).

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1500** members and growing.

Eric Jax

May 23, 2024, 10:49:58 PMMay 23
to Beneteau Owners
If you've never used epoxy before practice on an old piece of trash fiberglass first.

Make sure you use the white coloring in the epoxy.  The brown stuff is had to cover.

In theory, gelcoat doesn't adhere to epoxy but for your small repair it probably won't matter. That's why the marina recommended polyester resin, so the gelcoat will stick.

If you do use epoxy and you get it fairly white then it might be easier just to tape it off and lightly spray paint over the epoxy repair. The paint will protect the epoxy from the sun. No one will notice.

Slainte

Mark J Wilme

May 24, 2024, 8:21:17 AMMay 24
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
and to add - it's resin and gelcoat.  If it's not right you grind it back out and do it over.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1500** members and growing.

John Van Den Hengel

May 24, 2024, 1:42:58 PMMay 24
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hire a Fibreglass Expert - They can fix that to the point that you won't even notice!!

Have Faith - It's not pretty right now. ..

Sent by Google 8 Pro