Broken Outhaul Car

Ben Campbell

May 20, 2024, 2:41:54 AMMay 20
to jkrk22 via Beneteau Owners
Hi,

I broke the outhaul car on my in-mast RF main today. This was a brand-new car on a brand new boom.

As best as I can tell, I managed to pull the car to the stop and push the stop out of position (I am aware that this was carelessness on my part.). This let the torlon bearings escape and possibly left the car only attached to the track at the forward end. Oddly, I was able to reef without difficulty as the wind strengthened. Some time later, I heard a “bang” and the mainsail started to flog. The car had detached from the track. Fortunately I was still able to furl the sail.

The nubs that hold the torlon bearnings in place broke at the front, so I will need a new car. But I am concerned that I was easily able to pull the car past the stop. With the old boom prior to our recent refit, I could not pull the outhaul to the top. The main sail foot was simply not long enough to reach. I am wondering if the new boom (of a different design than the original) is too short or the new sail foot is too long. Or perhaps the outhaul car track is installed too far forward.

So, some questions:
- Should the outhaul car be able to reach the end of the track with a furling mainsail?
- Is it possible the outhaul car track is installed too far forward?
- How is the track attached to the boom? How difficult would it be to move the entire track a little bit aft?

Thanks!

Ben Campbell
09 Beneteau 31 “Dancing Days”, Lewsiville Lake, TX
signature.asc

Rick L

May 20, 2024, 7:53:26 PMMay 20
to Beneteau Owners
Did the same last year - uncontrolled, unfurling in heavy wind - car slammer the tracj and went off and then broke as your did.  New one is about $350 but you can now get them with Torlon "bars" vs balls - much easier to install (but maybe a bit more friction).  Sounds like the foot of your sail is too long.

Rick
SV Celerity
Ben 473
Annapolis

Mark J Wilme

May 20, 2024, 8:10:43 PMMay 20
to beneteau-owners
Can you add some form of stop to prevent it from happening?

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1500** members and growing.

Rick L

May 21, 2024, 8:34:04 PMMay 21
to Beneteau Owners
Yes - there should be a stop at the end of the track.

Ben Campbell

May 21, 2024, 9:46:18 PMMay 21
to Beneteau Owners
There is a stop, but it gave way. I suspect it was not sufficiently tightened.

Comparing to another Benteteau 31 on our dock, I think it likely that the sail is correct, but the track may have been installed too far forward on the boom. The new boom is a completely different design than the old one, so I also wonder if I’ve run into a version-mismatch problem. (It wouldn’t be the first time.) There is about 6 inches of groove behind the track, so I’ve got some room to move it if I need to.

 In any case, I have some measuring to do. I have a new outhaul car in transit.

Thanks!

Ben.