Repowering with Electric

mbsh...@bellsouth.net

Jun 26, 2024, 10:20:22 PM (8 days ago) Jun 26
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Listmates,

The Yanmar 3GM on my 1990 Beneteau Moorings 38 has seized.  Without removing the engine and completely disassembling it, it is impossible to tell how bad the situation really is.  My mechanic is suggesting a switch to electric, specifically an Electric Yacht QT10.  That’s not awful, but EY is suggesting no less than three Epoch 48v 100 ah batteries at a cost of $2k a piece (they really recommend four such batteries and have even had the gall to suggest four Dakota 48 v 96 ah batteries at a mere $2.5 k each).  Ouch.

Has anyone made the transition from  diesel to electric?  I’d welcome thoughts and experience, especially on the number of batteries and manufacturers.

Thanks.

Mike

Michael B. Shapiro

S/V My Funny Valentine

Beneteau Mooringd 38 #17

Lake Lanier, Georgia

mbsh...@bellsouth.net

Mark J Wilme

Jun 26, 2024, 10:27:52 PM (8 days ago) Jun 26
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Curious how you intend to charge them

Also if you cruise at all, how will you charge your house bank to run refrigeration, instruments, lights, accessories etc

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1500** members and growing.

Jon Schultz

Jun 27, 2024, 6:10:02 AM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend saving time money and effort and just replace the engine. Like for like.

Bricolanto

Jun 27, 2024, 6:28:50 AM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Another choice is hybrid.  Beta has a hybrid solution that can run electric, diesel and even charge from prop rotation.

Skip Ryan

Jun 27, 2024, 9:04:57 AM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

michaelbshapiro

Jun 27, 2024, 9:08:28 AM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to Beneteau Owners
To answer all questions:

    from Mark Wilme, we are on a land-locked lake.  Daysailing with occasional overnights but more often returning to the marina and shore power;
    from Jon Schultz, I have been quoted $20k to repower with a used Yanmar 3GM which significantly exceeds the electric quote and as we no longer cruise the Caribbean....;
    from Bricolanto, similar to above, the need for a hybrid just isn't there

Thus, I am soliciting information from any on the list who has made the transition.  This is not a cheap process and the boat is 34 years old.  Too old to donate and part of our family so I'm struggling with what to do and would be grateful for guidance on electric transitions.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Mike

DAVID FLETCHER

Jun 27, 2024, 9:31:10 AM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Take the engine out and get it
Rebuilt.

Maybe 3-5,000

Sent from my iPhone

Mark J Wilme

Jun 27, 2024, 11:56:07 AM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to beneteau-owners

allendick

Jun 28, 2024, 6:58:09 AM (7 days ago) Jun 28
to Beneteau Owners
  1. Calculate the total energy capacity of the battery in watt-hours (Wh):

    • The battery’s capacity is 100 Ah.
    • Multiply the capacity by the voltage: (100 , \text{Ah} \times 48 , \text{V} = 4800 , \text{Wh}).
  2. Convert watt-hours to horsepower-hours:

    • Divide the watt-hours by the conversion factor: (4800 , \text{Wh} \div 745.7 \approx 6.44 , \text{horsepower-hours}).

Therefore, a 48V 100Ah battery contains approximately 6.44 horsepower-hours of energy

'Nuff said?

Tim Snyder

Jun 28, 2024, 9:23:11 AM (7 days ago) Jun 28
to Beneteau Owners
I've run a boat with electric-hybrid powerplant. I recommend it only if your sailing is day-sailing and motoring is in and out of the harbor.

Also, you are not proposing that much battery storage.

The boat I ran was a 40' racing J121 with OceanVolt hybrid drive. It would run the boat at 6 kts for only about 60 minutes before depleting the battery. We carried a Honda propane-powered generator for a longer move. (The boat was initially kitted out by a British person with green intentions, but the second owner has since refit the boat with a great Yanmar diesel.)

Bottom line: fix your diesel!

TS

Allen Dick

Jun 28, 2024, 9:51:47 AM (7 days ago) Jun 28
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I looked at this some more and searched for reviews.  I found this: Switched to Electric | Sailing Anarchy Forums

I also asked my favourite AI tools and am more positive about the idea.

An option we forget is the possibility of a hybrid system, using either the built-in generator or a portable on deck. That could reduce the initial battery investment, allowing us to build incrementally, starting with the minimum and adding more storage later if needed.

It appears that for some sorts of sailors who don't go far, motor much, or have to get anywhere on time, electric is a viable solution.

Also the available sunlight and surface area available for solar could be a factor as well as the sort of seas encountered.   Walk-on solar is available as well as a variety of panel configurations for bimini or arch mounting.

Diesels have more power for pushing against heavy chop or strong currents.  Is that a consideration?

Savings on fuel, reduced maintenance, and oil changes are a payback, BUT, are your power charges at dock reasonable?  Marinas typically mark up electricity considerably.

The 38 is over length and over displacement according to the recommendations for the drive, but I would not rule it out without meeting sailors who have had one for a year or more.

Ask Copilot or Perplexity for references to electric conversion discussions.

As for LiFePO4 batteries, some are pretty cheap -- and good, but you need to do homework.  Also, I understand that some insurers won't touch boats with lithium batteries, so ask.

That said, for my Oceanis 351 in sunny Mexico, this could be an option someday.

We have to remember, though, that this technology is changing fast, so the best choice today may look obsolete tomorrow and prices may drop.

On 2024-06-28 4:58 a.m., allendick wrote:
1990 Beneteau Moorings 38

allendick

Jun 28, 2024, 10:28:17 PM (6 days ago) Jun 28
to Beneteau Owners
I've looked at this more and, especially combined withn a 3 to 5KWt portable generator, to reduce storage requirements and for occasional crossings, using cheaper LiFePO4 batteries, and with maximum solar, this could be a contender.  I see the unit uses the original driveshaft, rather than being a saildrive, so installation looks simple.

I've pushed my 351 home more than once (Thanks Perkins) with my 6HP outbord on the dink and made 4+ knots, so imagine this setup could do better than four,  being more efficient.