2003 361 Beneteau oceanis leaking 11/2 gal a day

andy k

Jun 2, 2024, 2:51:49 PMJun 2
to Beneteau Owners
So The last 3 times I have hauled-to paint- I have a leak once it goes back in the water. I and boat yard have looked everywhere,tested the thorough holes,inspected the Keel, prop shaft now thinking it might be the rudder shaft. does anyone have any input. The thing is- the last 2 times- the leak has stopped after about 2 months. This time it isn't--very frustrating .  Thanks in advance   Andy

Jonathan Green

Jun 3, 2024, 11:04:48 AMJun 3
to Beneteau Owners
I would suspect the prop shaft seal/stuffing box to be leaking before the rudder shaft bearing. The one installed on my 1996 Oceanis 351 is a Volvo Penta Shaft Seal, Part Number 828254 For 25mm shafts and we would always have to "burp" the seal when launching otherwise it would leak.

According to the Volvo instructions: "Remove the air from the propeller shaft tube as follows: The propeller shaft seal is purged from air by pressing the seal edges together and against the propeller shaft. This pressure creates a slight gap between the seal and the shaft. When water seeps out of the gap, the seal is purged.

If your rudder shaft housing is similar to mine, the top of the housing is well above the water line so I would doubt water is coming in thru there.

ANDY KOVACEVIC

Jun 3, 2024, 12:56:36 PMJun 3
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that . I don’t see any water coming in at the shaft seal but I will try burping again. Thanks

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1500** members and growing.

Mark J Wilme

Jun 3, 2024, 2:00:21 PMJun 3
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
is it salt water or fresh ?

jkr...@aol.com

Jun 3, 2024, 2:09:32 PMJun 3
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I will tell you that I had the rudder seal replaced and
a) it's above the water line and
b) it newer leaked into the boat.
Look elsewhere
Ron
B331 Esprit

Andy Kovacevic

Jun 3, 2024, 3:56:08 PMJun 3
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Definitely saltwater
 Sent from my iPad

JoeT

Jun 3, 2024, 6:26:36 PMJun 3
to Beneteau Owners
I’ve not had anything leak on my 06 B343 except at the paddle wheel thru-hull if not seated and tightened well.
The shaft seal squeals immediately on first engine run if I didn’t burp it, and reminds me to burp it, then no problems.
Wherever the leak is, probably seals itself with growth after the month or two.

Joe T.
‘06 B343
Regina Del Seni

W B

Jun 3, 2024, 6:55:51 PMJun 3
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what clime your are in but is there AC unit?

Mine is squirrled away in the lazerette and the cooling hose (salt water) needed some attention not to far back.

I kept finding sea water in the bilge.

I was able to secure the unit to stop the pumps and the problem ceased until the repairs were made.

Hope it helps.

R/
William
Alibi B331

ANDY KOVACEVIC

Jun 4, 2024, 9:55:49 AMJun 4
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Guys  But no AC and nowhere that  I can see water coming in. I believe it  is coming in somewhere on the port side -I have a plumber's snake camera  and can see the water build up under the liner in the area of the sink. We have check the sink drain thorough hole. Thanks for the idea’s  Andy