2007 Beneteau 373 Sea Frost Refrigerator running constantly

William C Bonner

May 6, 2024, 6:28:59 PMMay 6
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My icebox is generally working and holding the temperature close to 10°F, but the fridge varies between freezing and 45°. The bigger issue is that the unit seems to be pulling a constant 6A from the DC power on the boat.

I’ve read the Sea Frost pdf that I found that seems to say it uses R-134a refrigerant and is pre charged. The proper charge amount is 5-6 oz.

I’m interested in any suggestions as to what I can check before calling in and paying a professional for a house call.

Thanks, Wim

Hugh Nicholson

May 20, 2024, 7:44:22 PMMay 20
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have a 2007 373 with the same problem. I’m very interested in any response you receive.

When I took my boat south two years ago to save my batteries II had to use an Engle portable as its maximum draw was 2.5 amps. However I’d much prefer the built in freezer if the drain on my batteries was more manageable.

Sent from my iPhone

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1500** members and growing.

DAVID FLETCHER

May 20, 2024, 7:52:04 PMMay 20
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
It should cycle about 50 percent of the time in warm climates

Have you checked the coolant charge?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 20, 2024, at 7:44 PM, Hugh Nicholson <nichol...@hotmail.ca> wrote:

 I have a 2007 373 with the same problem. I’m very interested in any response you receive.

William C Bonner

Jun 29, 2024, 10:46:36 AM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to Beneteau Owners
I went into a local marine refrigeration shop and talked with a technician. It wasn't a very satisfying talk, but it left me with a few things to check as well as a bit more knowledge.

Most devices from different manufacturers seems to use the same compressor and control unit. The set of plugs is exactly the same, with the bottom two pins being where the thermostat control plugs in. He suggested shorting those two pins for a day or so to run it continuously and see how cold the system would get. If the second cold plate, in the fridge, ices over, that indicates that I've got the right amount of refrigerant, and my problem is simply related to the thermostat.

My problem seems related to the thermostat, and I may try getting a new one and installing it.

Symptom:
  • Compressor will not turn off
Possible cause:
  • Faulty Thermostat
  • Incorrect Thermostat probe installation
  • The thermostat may have continuity (on) but might not turn off. The system may run continually. Frost or active cooling may develop from the return line tube on the plate (second plate) to the compressor.
Check & Test:
  • Check that the compressor will turn off with the thermostat knob in the off position.
  • Remote Thermostats work best when any excess capillary tube is in the cold space.
  • If the thermostat is a Remote or ETT the bulb must be clipped on the side or bottom of the cold plate.  The best location would be the coldest section of the plate.
Remedies:
  • If the compressor does not turn off with the thermostat knob in the off position, replace the thermostat.
  • Check that the thermostat bulb is in good thermal contact with the cold plate. The bulb probe must be on the second plate in a two plate system. This is the plate without the valve.

William C Bonner

Jun 29, 2024, 11:07:32 AM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to Beneteau Owners
http://www.seafrost.com/BD%20Parts.html is an interesting page. The "Remote Ranco thermostat $ 105.00" looks like the controller inside my fridge, which I've been thinking of replacing, ideally with a digital device.

https://a.co/d/05OKbtvA seems to be the same device (Ranco Refrigerator Cold Control, 34 to 55 Range - K50Q-1127-001) for $14.75.

Thomas Czaplicki

Jun 29, 2024, 2:33:03 PM (5 days ago) Jun 29
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I just replaced a failed digital thermostat on my BO461 freezer.

I replaced it with a digital thermostat I got off of Amazon - $15

image0.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 29, 2024, at 11:07 AM, William C Bonner <wimb...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.seafrost.com/BD%20Parts.html is an interesting page. The "Remote Ranco thermostat $ 105.00" looks like the controller inside my fridge, which I've been thinking of replacing, ideally with a digital device.
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1500** members and growing.

William C Bonner

Jul 1, 2024, 9:01:05 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Beneteau Owners
Looks cool. I just did a search for STC-1000 and found it in several locations including Walmart for $6.65. I was surprised to recognize the depth of the device.

Did your system originally have an external sensor, or was it originally inside the fridge?