freeze decant

el Carterro

Jul 25, 2005, 3:53:42 AM7/25/05
to BEE...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'm more of a "real" beer maker, for the most part. So,
yeast at the bottom of a bottle is more than welcome (if not just from
a nutritional B vitamin standpoint). But, I'm trying to make a
relatively decent naturally carbonated ginger ale without a whole lot
of yeast flavor action. Obviously carbonating with tanks would be the
best possible solution, but I don't have or want to store the
equipment. I have read, however, that when a CO2 saturated liquid is
cooled to a point near freezing, the subsequent liquid can be decanted
off of its yeast base and re-packaged in a new vessel.......obviously
this wouldn't get rid of the yeast completely, but it would eliminate a
lot of stray yeast matter. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what are
some more efficient ways of going about it.