Next coffee / tea meet up

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeremy Gould

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 6:34:22 AM2/14/08
to BarcampUKGovweb
I'm proposing a more regular get together for us all, just a chance to
catch up if you are in the area.

Suggesting first and third thursdays of the month at CafeZest,
Victoria, London.

No agenda, no compulsion, turn up if you feel like it but DO tell
others who might be interested in coming all about it.

Next catch-up Thursday 21st February.

More information here: http://whitehallwebby.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/more-post-barcamp-thoughts/

Would be helpful if you'd add your name here so we know you are
coming: http://www.govhack.com/UKGovweb_afternoon_tea_14_February_2008

Justin

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 9:56:56 AM2/14/08
to BarcampUKGovweb
Two a month?! I might have to ask my manager.

J

On Feb 14, 11:34 am, Jeremy Gould <jeremygo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm proposing a more regular get together for us all, just a chance to
> catch up if you are in the area.
>
> Suggesting first and third thursdays of the month at CafeZest,
> Victoria, London.
>
> No agenda, no compulsion, turn up if you feel like it but DO tell
> others who might be interested in coming all about it.
>
> Next catch-up Thursday 21st February.
>
> More information here:http://whitehallwebby.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/more-post-barcamp-thou...

Jeremy Gould

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 9:59:22 AM2/14/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Not suggesting we all come to each one! If there are c.1000+ potential people in the pool that would make for a big meet up!

Em

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 12:23:04 PM2/14/08
to BarcampUKGovweb
How many?!!

On Feb 14, 2:59 pm, "Jeremy Gould" <jeremygo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not suggesting we all come to each one! If there are c.1000+ potential
> people in the pool that would make for a big meet up!
>

Jeremy Gould

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 12:36:27 PM2/14/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Must be if you count all the coders, editors publishers etc across departments, agencies, NDPBs etc. They might not all be full-time web people but then it is just a guess!

Adam McGreggor

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 2:27:10 PM2/14/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 05:36:27PM +0000, Jeremy Gould wrote:
> Must be if you count all the coders, editors publishers etc across
> departments, agencies, NDPBs etc. They might not all be full-time web people
> but then it is just a guess!

Hummmm, PQ time...

Jeremygould

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 2:51:17 PM2/14/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Ha! Didn't know you were an MP!

Seriously, I'm talking anyone from core web teams (which are
relatively small, 5 -20 people tops) to people who have
'responsibility' for their website. I know many such of the latter
who probably update their content once a quarter who wouldn't
consider themselves web people, but for the purposes of my
generalisation below, I would.

Lloyd Davis

unread,
Feb 14, 2008, 6:00:07 PM2/14/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy, I think you're absolutely on the right track - keep it organic
and don't worry about the numbers - it only takes two people to have a
conversation.

See you in soho :)

ll


--
Lloyd Davis
Perfect Path Consulting Ltd
Helping people be brilliant in the knowledge economy
http://www.perfectpath.co.uk/
http://tinyurl.com/2zejjs to subscribe to my blog by e-mail
http://feeds.feedburner.com/PerfectPath to subscribe to my blog by RSS
Call me: +44 (0)79191 82825
Skype me: perfectpath
Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/LloydDavis

Jane O

unread,
Feb 17, 2008, 6:09:01 PM2/17/08
to BarcampUKGovweb
I have told my web team about barcamp and sent links to this
discussion group. But think will have to do a bit more PR to get them
actively involved. Might be an idea to start a conversation either
here or at the coffee on Thu about how we can get gov webbies
involved.

If we had one champion in each cental gov web team, would be a good
start. Any other ideas?

p.s. couldn't make Friday's social media cafe - any updates from it?

On Feb 14, 11:00 pm, "Lloyd Davis" <lloyd.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremy, I think you're absolutely on the right track - keep it organic
> and don't worry about the numbers - it only takes two people to have a
> conversation.
>
> See you in soho :)
>
> ll
>
> On 14/02/2008, Jeremygould <jeremygo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >  Ha! Didn't know you were an MP!
>
> >  Seriously, I'm talking anyone from core web teams (which are
> >  relatively small, 5 -20 people tops) to people who have
> >  'responsibility' for their website. I know many such of the latter
> >  who probably update their content once a quarter who wouldn't
> >  consider themselves web people, but for the purposes of my
> >  generalisation below, I would.
>
> >  On 14 Feb 2008, at 19:27, Adam McGreggor wrote:
>
> >  > On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 05:36:27PM +0000, Jeremy Gould wrote:
> >  >> Must be if you count all the coders, editors publishers etc across
> >  >> departments, agencies, NDPBs etc. They might not all be full-time
> >  >> web people
> >  >> but then it is just a guess!
>
> >  > Hummmm, PQ time...
>
> >  >> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Em <mulq...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >  >>> How many?!!
>
> >  >>> On Feb 14, 2:59 pm, "Jeremy Gould" <jeremygo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >>>> Not suggesting we all come to each one! If there are c.1000+
> >  >>>> potential
> >  >>>> people in the pool that would make for a big meet up!
>
> --
> Lloyd Davis
> Perfect Path Consulting Ltd
> Helping people be brilliant in the knowledge economyhttp://www.perfectpath.co.uk/http://tinyurl.com/2zejjsto subscribe to my blog by e-mailhttp://feeds.feedburner.com/PerfectPathto subscribe to my blog by RSS
> Call me: +44 (0)79191 82825
> Skype me: perfectpath
> Follow me on Twitterhttp://www.twitter.com/LloydDavis- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Craig Cockburn

unread,
Feb 17, 2008, 6:39:35 PM2/17/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
In message
<9aed522c-8249-4060...@72g2000hsu.googlegroups.com>, Jane
O <janeolo...@googlemail.com> writes
>Domain Match

>
>
>I have told my web team about barcamp and sent links to this
>discussion group. But think will have to do a bit more PR to get them
>actively involved. Might be an idea to start a conversation either
>here or at the coffee on Thu about how we can get gov webbies
>involved.
>
I'm new to this group - hopefully will make it to the Thursday meet. If
it was on upcoming etc this would be helpful as it would allow me to
import it into Google calendar.

Anyway, is there a format to the meetings, any particular topic etc? If
I don't know anyone how do I find the meeting?

many thanks

Craig
--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). Director, Siliconglen.com Ltd
Web project manager and Internet specialist. CITP. C.Eng
http://www.siliconglen.com/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/siliconglen

James Darling

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 3:10:06 AM2/18/08
to BarcampUKGovweb
> I'm new to this group - hopefully will make it to the Thursday meet. If
> it was on upcoming etc this would be helpful as it would allow me to
> import it into Google calendar.

Been meaning to do this for a while, had other people request it.
What better thing to wake up to than online social calendaring?

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/434420/

Jeremygould

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 3:19:26 AM2/18/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, thanks for doing that.

Feargal Hogan (E-mail)

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 6:56:40 AM2/18/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com

Excellent. Soooo web2.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping Guides Ltd,
75 Bell St, Reigate, Surrey RH2 7AN, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 1737 242255
Fax: +44 1737 222449
Email: in...@portinfo.co.uk
WWW: http://www.portinfo.co.uk
Registered in England No. 907386
Registered Office: As above
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information in this e-mail is confidential. It is intended for the use
of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee you must not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in it. Please contact us immediately
and delete the e-mail from your computer system and destroy any hard copies
you may have made.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping Guides Ltd,
75 Bell St, Reigate, Surrey RH2 7AN, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 1737 242255
Fax: +44 1737 222449
Email: in...@portinfo.co.uk
WWW: http://www.portinfo.co.uk
Registered in England No. 907386
Registered Office: As above
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information in this e-mail is confidential. It is intended for the use
of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee you must not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in it. Please contact us immediately
and delete the e-mail from your computer system and destroy any hard copies
you may have made.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feargal Hogan (E-mail)

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 8:24:48 AM2/18/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com, develope...@lists.mysociety.org
Hi all

I've crossposted this across the Barcamp and MySoc lists as there is a bit
of crossover here.
Sorry if that annoys people.

I received a response to a petition of mine from PMO this morning.

It directed me to this response online
http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page14567.asp

Up there, the PMO response references some further information on
TeacherNet.
But the link given is malformed and points at
http://http//www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/schoolfunding/schoolfundingcon
sultation2007/schoolbalances/

Note the double "http" at the beginning. So it don't work.
When I click it I end up on a domain parking site.
I immediately recognised what had happened, but many 'ordinary' people
wouldn't.
And they are the people who had signed the petition and deserved a response.
IMHO, this communication is not fit for purpose.

So 2 questions:
1) (To Tom & co @MySoc mainly) Shouldn't the petition response editorial
system have handled this and filtered out the malformed link? Or are my
expectations too high?
2) (Mainly to the UKGovWeb people) You are not allowed to blame MySoc for
this. Didn't anyone check/proof what was being sent? Surely an 'important'
piece of communication material should not have escaped from PMO like this?
And given Mark's earlier request for a one-click-multi-stream communication
system, wouldn't an incident like this shut down any such system very, very
quickly?

I now that no one died and that I need to get a life, but, actually, this
really shouldn't happen, should it?

Talk to me, people.
Feargal

Jeremy Gould

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 10:21:38 AM2/18/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Obvious question Fergus, but assume you have told them the mistake? I have no idea how content is compiled and cross-checked for petition responses - it varies from system to system. Can any system prevent this happening from time to time? Don't know how many petition responses have been created or the incidence of errors but I expect its very low.

Feargal Hogan (E-mail)

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 10:36:48 AM2/18/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I have now.
 
I don't think it is really a question about the system - although the system can help. It is really a question about the process and the people.
 
This is intended to engage people, but to do that we need to sure that it is accessable to ordinary joes.
 
Using digital media is wonderfully easy to do, but its also terribly easy to get wrong. It needs to be used with care which, IMHO, wasn't done in this case.
 
It's about education, training and skills aagin, I'm afraid.
Footer.txt

Em

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 1:40:49 PM2/18/08
to BarcampUKGovweb
Feargal,

Bingo - it is the immediacy and ease of use that is attractive, but
without a rigorous set of user conventions and a proper proofing
practice (alliteration intentional) applied, this kind of slapdash
thing with happen. And this is where the oft mocked process people
come in...

E

On Feb 18, 3:36 pm, "Feargal Hogan \(E-mail\)"
<fear...@thehoganfamily.info> wrote:
> I have now.
>
> I don't think it is really a question about the system - although the system
> can help. It is really a question about the process and the people.
>
> This is intended to engage people, but to do that we need to sure that it is
> accessable to ordinary joes.
>
> Using digital media is wonderfully easy to do, but its also terribly easy to
> get wrong. It needs to be used with care which, IMHO, wasn't done in this
> case.
>
> It's about education, training and skills aagin, I'm afraid.
> Obvious question Fergus, but assume you have told them the mistake?
> I have no idea how content is compiled and cross-checked for petition
> responses - it varies from system to system. Can any system prevent this
> happening from time to time? Don't know how many petition responses have
> been created or the incidence of errors but I expect its very low.
>
> On Feb 18, 2008 1:24 PM, Feargal Hogan (E-mail)
>
> Email: i...@portinfo.co.uk
> WWW:http://www.portinfo.co.uk
> Registered in England No. 907386
> Registered Office: As above
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -
>
> The information in this e-mail is confidential. It is intended for the
> use
> of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee you must not use,
> copy
> or disclose the information contained in it. Please contact us
> immediately
> and delete the e-mail from your computer system and destroy any hard
> copies
> you may have made.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -
>
> [Footer.txt]-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Shipping Guides Ltd,
> 75 Bell St, Reigate, Surrey RH2 7AN, United Kingdom.
> Tel: +44 1737 242255
> Fax: +44 1737 222449
> Email: i...@portinfo.co.uk

Feargal Hogan

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 3:42:39 PM2/18/08
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Em
Thanks

> Feargal,
>
> Bingo - it is the immediacy and ease of use that is attractive, but
> without a rigorous set of user conventions and a proper proofing
> practice (alliteration intentional) applied, this kind of slapdash
> thing with happen. And this is where the oft mocked process people
> come in...
>

> > Using digital media is wonderfully easy to do, but its also

> terribly easy to
> > get wrong. It needs to be used with care which, IMHO,
> wasn't done in this
> > case.
> >
> > It's about education, training and skills aagin, I'm afraid.


And a spull chucker might be a useful tool to have on such a shte.

Em

unread,
Feb 18, 2008, 4:03:39 PM2/18/08
to BarcampUKGovweb
Well it sounds trivial but... der

On Feb 18, 8:42 pm, "Feargal Hogan" <fear...@thehoganfamily.info>
wrote:
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages