Where can I find an online anti-virus that doesn't install on your PC?

smigacastor83758

Sep 23, 2009, 11:09:19 AM9/23/09
to BarcampUKGovweb
I've got 5 PCs that I'm trying to use to train disadvantaged young
people. The problem is they are riddled with viruses and a firewall
blocks me from updating them. The people in charge of maintaining the
PCs won't fix them or give me the admin password (Win XP) to let me
install a new or updated antivirus the centre is being shut down in a
few months.

If they were working, I could still do a lot with them, so I've been
looking for a good online virus scan - but they all try to download a
little .exe onto your PC first, and the settings on the PCs won't
allow that.

Suggestions? Solutions? Links?

rickimeaker61317

Sep 23, 2009, 5:15:32 PM9/23/09
to BarcampUKGovweb
>so I've been looking for a good online virus scan

I usually use this one http://pmcware.com/freedowns

Lloyd Davis

Sep 23, 2009, 5:24:08 PM9/23/09
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I can't remember who's the manager of this group, is it you Jeremy? Could you block this person and put some restriction on posting to the group - y'know the one where first post has to be approved - I've had the first message to all the google groups I belong too, this one seems contain the actual payload

ll

2009/9/23 rickimeaker61317 <rickimea...@gmail.com>

>so I've been looking for a good online virus scan

I usually use this one [snip] dodgy url deleted [/snip]

--
Lloyd Davis
Social Artist & Master Community Builder

Jeremy Gould

Sep 23, 2009, 5:56:03 PM9/23/09
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Done - I'm not the group owner but do have authorisation to ban members - I'll also change the joining requirements to request only.

I was wondering if this list would continue as the spam (generally on google groups, not just here) seems to be increasing exponentially. But just looking through the membership list there is a very rich group of government webbies here so it seems like a good idea to look after it in the hope that it becomes useful again in the near future.

Adam McGreggor

Sep 23, 2009, 7:51:07 PM9/23/09
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:56:03PM +0100, Jeremy Gould wrote:
> I was wondering if this list would continue as the spam (generally on
> google groups, not just here) seems to be increasing exponentially.
> But just looking through the membership list there is a very rich
> group of government webbies here so it seems like a good idea to look
> after it in the hope that it becomes useful again in the near future.

We/I could set-up a list on the lists.govhack.com (sub)domain, if there would
be interest...

--
``There is a providence that protects idiots, drunkards,
children and the United States of America.'' (Otto von Bismarck)

Jeremy Gould

Sep 24, 2009, 5:32:22 AM9/24/09
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I doubt there's enough demand at the moment. Best to leave it where it
is I think.

JEREMY GOULD
http://www.google.com/profiles/jeremygould