Opening up local government data?

Jonathan Gray

Aug 11, 2009, 12:45:10 PM8/11/09
to barcamp-ukgovweb
We recently blogged about opening up local government data:

http://blog.okfn.org/2009/08/04/opening-up-local-government-data/

It would be great to hear if anyone knows about any exemplary cases
where local government departments have made their data open - or of
any relevant initiatives in this area!

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.okfn.org

Steve Dale

Aug 13, 2009, 1:52:03 AM8/13/09
to BarcampUKGovweb
Hi Jonathan,

I'm managing a project called the 'Knowledge Hub' on behalf of the
IDeA. The project is being funded by CLG. The Hub will bring together
data and conversations from across the local gov sector. Email me at
setev.dale@gmail if you want any more details.

Best wishes

Steve

Antti Poikola

Aug 13, 2009, 10:46:54 AM8/13/09
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not quite sure for whom and from where this request was targeted...

I'm Antti Poikola from Finland and I'm running a "Apps for Democracy
Finland" competition for the better use of open government data. The
contest has been successful way of starting the discussion with
different governmental bodies about the theme of opening data sources.
Of course the opening of data doesn't happen over night, so the real
results of the contest come with delay.

Similar kind of contests are sprawling all over the world Washington DC.
UK, Belgium etc. We are actually planning to make some sort of network
between the contest organizers in order to change ideas and knowledge.
It would be great to develop a well known contest brand "olympics of
open governmental data".

Link to our contest site: http://www.mindtrek.org/2009/democracy_finland

BR,

Antti Poikola

Noel Hatch

Aug 13, 2009, 2:49:07 PM8/13/09
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Antti/Jonathon

At Kent, we have developed a project to enable people to re-use publicly available information relevant to Kent (from our council of course, but also other organisations and government departments). Our focus is on building the capacity for businesses and other groups to develop their skills in creating mashups they can share with others for social value.

http://transformedbyyou.blogspot.com/2009/05/pic-mix_25.html

We are now focusing on visualising data and linked data to build on the Power of Information agenda and this is very much us needing to learn, so be great to take this conversation further.

Here's our beta website

Be good to feed into your work and vice versa anyway

All the best

Noel

Projects & Research Lead
Innovation Unit
Kent County Council
noel....@kent.gov.uk
http://transformedbyyou.blogspot.com
http://www.kent.gov.uk/innovation

2009/8/13 Antti Poikola <antti....@gmail.com>

--
National Chair
Compass Youth

Podnosh

Aug 22, 2009, 6:33:45 AM8/22/09
to BarcampUKGovweb
I'm working on this very thing in Birmingham, progress (as it apears)
will be put up here:

http://www.bevocal.org.uk

Nick Booth
http://www.podnosh.com
http://www.helpmeinvestigate

Jonathan Gray

Aug 22, 2009, 7:01:40 AM8/22/09
to Barcamp...@googlegroups.com, Noel Hatch
Dear Noel,

Thanks for your email! I'd love to hear more about any open datasets
from Kent that we could list on CKAN:

http://ckan.net/tag/read/uk
http://ckan.net/tag/read/country-uk

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan Gray

Aug 22, 2009, 9:56:32 AM8/22/09
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Looks fantastic! Would love to hear about any open data that comes out of this!

Jonathan