Noseless saddles

Ali Poonawala

Jun 24, 2017, 2:17:05 PM6/24/17
to Sharath Chandar
A friend enquired .
Does anyone use these ? Pros and cons ?
Availability ?

Thanks ahead

Warm regards

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

Opendro

Jun 25, 2017, 6:14:06 AM6/25/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
We should explain the difference between a seat and a saddle to be riders. We don't want a seat in a cycle. It will be detrimental to peddling action. A saddle should always have nose.

Mehul Ved

Jun 25, 2017, 4:56:24 PM6/25/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Umm, what? Then why would Pros use it for Triathlons and TT?

@Ali, I don't have a first hand experience yet but I have been reading up on it since I want to shift to one but postponed my plans. It is useful when one is spending extended period of time on the aerobars in a very low riding position. That does also lead to your hips being slightly more open than in a normal road bike. Due to such a position, noseless saddle does help relieve pressure on your crotch area. It may take a bit getting used to and adjusting the riding position before you get the right comfort.
As to the bit of finding one locally, that might be quite tough. I don't remember seeing one at any of the local stores.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

With Regards,
Mehul Ved

Opendro

Jun 25, 2017, 5:46:52 PM6/25/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I didn't know that manufacturers are on it for professionals. I read up a bit.

It is kind is okay as long as the saddle fits between your legs. The moment it becomes a seat for your derriere, it will be a hindrance to cycling.

BTW, your problem of low handlebar setting with pressure on crotch may be solved with slight adjustment to sale height and/or nose angle. I never set my handlebar too low. So, I cannot really comment. But saddle height is one big factor about the pressure on the crotch.

Ali Poonawala

Jun 26, 2017, 2:59:59 AM6/26/17
to Opendro, Sharath Chandar
My reading of these was...It is meant primarily for ladies, who find the nose part more irritating ...Sometimes even painful, for the sensitive region.
The negative side, especially for those who are used to the long nose some saddles have, in the transition, there is real risk of actually falling on to the horizontal tube causing injury, even losing balance !!

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

Mehul Ved

Jun 26, 2017, 3:47:20 AM6/26/17
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 3:16 AM, Opendro <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:
I didn't know that manufacturers are on it for professionals. I read up a bit.

Technology is always evolving. Manufacturers also need new ways of asking for money. ;-)

It is kind is okay as long as the saddle fits between your legs. The moment it becomes a seat for your derriere, it will be a hindrance to cycling.

It's not just for your ass but for comfortable posture and smoother pedaling while staying on the aerobars for an extended period.

BTW, your problem of low handlebar setting with pressure on crotch may be solved with slight adjustment to sale height and/or nose angle. I never set my handlebar too low. So, I cannot really comment. But saddle height is one big factor about the pressure on the crotch.

Yes, I have tried that for my IM races. It does make things better but moving a bit forward on the saddle, in a Tri specific position is difficult with usual saddles. There are a few other saddles with nose as well which allow for adjustment and seat posts too.

We're getting here into finer details and specific setups. Really matters what you're attempting to do, what is your objective, how well you're trained, etc. I don't really know the person so I was sticking to the general reasons why people opt for noseless saddles. Eventually, saddle fits are vastly different and personal. So whatever fits you is the best

Mehul Ved

Jun 26, 2017, 3:55:13 AM6/26/17
to Ali Poonawala, Opendro, Sharath Chandar
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Ali Poonawala <alfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
My reading of these was...It is meant primarily for ladies, who find the nose part more irritating ...Sometimes even painful, for the sensitive region.
The negative side, especially for those who are used to the long nose some saddles have, in the transition, there is real risk of actually falling on to the horizontal tube causing injury, even losing balance !!

Always takes getting used to as with cleats, aerobars and other things.
Also, I believe you're refering to one specific type which has much lesser area at the front. There are various types of noseless saddles too,some of which are more traditional with a cut in the middle. Things would have been much easier if we had various ones available locally to test before buying.

mahapatra

Jun 26, 2017, 5:04:37 AM6/26/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
@Ali. I have been using a specialized power expert saddle for four months. Its not exactly a noseless saddle like ISM Adamo TT rather a chopped off and angled down version of specialized all rounder romin saddle which I have used for almost 2 years. Here are the pros and cons....
Pros:
1. extremely comfortable for aggressive aero riding position (arms bend at right angle, flat back) in both hoods and drops. You won't feel that saddle is holding you back when riding in aero position. No chafing.
2. shape of the saddle is such that it gives more support the perineum area rather than only sit bone (in aero position pressure point move forward from pelvic bones)
3. firm padding for better power transfer ( I have expert version of both romin and power saddle, power saddle is noticeably firmer ride).
Cons:
1. Polarizing shape of the saddle. Not suitable for relaxed body position riding.
2. Saddle is designed to accommodate only one comfortable position. Adjusting your hips forward and backward to find a more comfortable position won't work here.
3. Very difficult and time taking process to set it up.