Rockrider 300: Raise handlebar height

Karthick Gururaj

Dec 28, 2015, 10:40:11 AM12/28/15
to BBC
Hi all,

One of my friends just bought a Rockrider 300 yesterday (it is the replacement for RR5.0). He is starting to cycle after many years - first goal is to get fit.

He went for a short ride (~3 km) today and told me that he finds the bending down poster uncomfortable and is getting a neck pain.

For a more upright position, is it possible to raise the handlebar? Using a stem-riser... (or any other way)

I saw this thread on bikezone for RR5.0: http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12968 (but the opinions differ on what can/can't be done).

I'll speak to Decathlon guys - but would appreciate inputs from anyone who has done this on Rockrider 300.

Thanks,
Karthick

Narayan R

Dec 28, 2015, 8:46:14 PM12/28/15
to Karthick Gururaj, BBC
Decathlon frame typically comes with a longer reach. This may be because european have longer torso
Rock rider 300, from photo its look like a threadless headset.

Following may help if threadless
-- shorter headstem
-- Bar end (http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spareparts/steering-components/bar-ends-black/p-M8002516)
-- Cruiser handle bar (this really helps in  relaxed and upright riding)

note all the above needs dimensional compatibility so study the sizing before you buy any.

if thread headset,

Just get a cruiser handle bar from local bike shop with 4 bolt headset and replace. brake Cables may need readjustment.

With Regards,
R Narayan

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Karthick Gururaj

Dec 29, 2015, 2:58:18 AM12/29/15
to Narayan R, BBC
Hi Narayan,

Thanks for the info. I spoke to the Decathlon guys and they said the height can be raised with a stem raiser. But he did suggest to first try a few neck exercises :)

This cycle has grip shifters, so not sure if bar ends can be installed..?

- Karthick

Sanju Kuriakose

Jun 12, 2017, 10:02:29 PM6/12/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, naray...@gmail.com, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to check if you were able to get any solution for raising the height of the handle bar for rockrider 300.
I am also facing the same problem.
Decathalon guys told there is no way that it can be raised for RR 300.

Need some help if any knew.

Akshay

Jun 12, 2017, 11:04:23 PM6/12/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Things you can do now:
- Reduce the drop: change saddle height, move stem to the top of the steerer.
- Reduce reach: Move the saddle forward.

I don't know how the customer service is in Decathlon, but it seems like he sold
your friend a big frame. May be get a bike fit ?

Sanju Kuriakose

Jun 12, 2017, 11:49:12 PM6/12/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
thank you Akshay,

In the recent service, i reduce the drop by tilting the handle up to the max possible.

I will check if there is some space to move the stem to the top of the steerer and moving saddle forward. I am not sure if these options are there in the RR300.

If not possible, may be option is to get frame replaced to next size, i.e., M to L.

-Sanju

Sanju Kuriakose

Aug 5, 2017, 12:53:50 PM8/5/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Can someone let me know the front fork diameter of the Rockrider 300? exact size in mm?
Thought of checking in internet if some handle bar height adjument unit available for that size?

berkeleydb

Aug 20, 2017, 9:57:21 PM8/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Check if a short stem might do the trick. XMR stems (from TI Cycles, I think) are reasonably priced.

If you are looking to get steerer height increased, so that handle bar can be raised -- I got it done from RR Cycles Madiwala sometime back, for a road bike. From my usage over the past few months, I would say they seem to have done a good job. (I got a shorter (XMR) stem installed as well.)

Or you can look at adjustable stems where the stem angle can be changed. If that works, you can avoid increasing the steerer height.

-{db}.

Sanju Kuriakose

Aug 21, 2017, 4:50:07 AM8/21/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thank you all.. at last , I tried the option to change the front fork and changed the stem from RR cycles madiwala. Now it's good and height is increased. They returned old fork and stem back if we need to fix later.
While fixing New fork, I opted for shock absorber one..

Sent from phone
> --
> Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
> bangalorebikersclub.com
> ---

berkeleydb

Aug 22, 2017, 9:23:38 PM8/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I suppose changing the fork from rigid to suspension, was nothing to do with the handlebar height?

-{db}.

Sanju Kuriakose

Aug 23, 2017, 10:37:08 AM8/23/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
I did change the rigid to suspension too along with the change I did... Its good and got some additional height I feel.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 6:53 AM, berkeleydb <dha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I suppose changing the fork from rigid to suspension, was nothing to do with the handlebar height?

-{db}.
--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

-cheers,

Sanju Kuriakose

berkeleydb

Aug 23, 2017, 10:41:15 AM8/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Ok, I suppose the suspension fork was effectively longer... cool.

Hope you are finding the bike fit to be better now.

-{db}.

Sanju Kuriakose

Aug 23, 2017, 11:47:38 AM8/23/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Yes.. I did a short ride only, it was good

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
> bangalorebikersclub.com
> ---

Said Fazil

Feb 1, 2018, 7:56:06 AM2/1/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hey,
looks like you own a Btwin rockrider 300 and installed a suspension front fork.
i am also looking to do the same.
can you provide me the details of stearer size etc so that i can purchase a suspension fork which will be compatible.

also which suspension fork did you used?

regards
Said

Sanju Kuriakose

Feb 1, 2018, 9:06:25 AM2/1/18
to Said Fazil, Bangalore Bikers Club
You may walk-in to a branded cycle shop and ask for replacing front fork with Hercules suspension fork. They will do. It costed around 2000 but it served my purpose. They returned original fork set. I did it in R R cycles, madiwala, Bangalore. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone

E Mohan

Mar 19, 2019, 9:47:55 AM3/19/19
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,
I suppose more than a year has passed. Is it still working nicely. I am also thinking for changing the fork to raise the handlybar. Please share your experience.

Ravindra BR

Mar 19, 2019, 10:20:01 PM3/19/19
to E Mohan, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

Sanju Kuriakose

Mar 20, 2019, 12:58:24 AM3/20/19
to Ravindra BR, E Mohan, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Stem raiser with correct diameter is difficult for rock rider 300. I checked.

Changing the fork worked for me and I am good with that. Only suggestion is to keep the handle height managed not too high and not too low so that neck and back will not have much issues. Other suggestion is not to try this on MTB cycles, for a higher handle, best to go for hybrid cycles I think. Because with raised handle, more effort is required to pedal MTB.

-cheers,

Sanju Kuriakose

berkeleydb

Mar 24, 2019, 6:55:03 PM3/24/19
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Stem risers or stem with a bigger angle, should be simpler solutions.

To me, replacing the fork to raise the handlebar, seems like a overkill. But I guess price will be one key factor.

I had gotten the fork steerer extended, on one of my bikes, to raise the handlebar. Rakesh @ RR Cycles got it done from some workshop person he knew. I think I paid ~rs1500 for it; not sure. There were some "creaking" noises for couple of months, which had me concerned if the work had been done well. But for the past ~1.5yrs, things seem to be working well.

-{db}.

Sanju Kuriakose

pravin....@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2022, 9:07:53 AM6/7/22
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi All,

I too own a BTWIN Rockrider 300. I would be grateful if you could share suggestions for raising the stem for my bike.
It hurts the back and the wrist while riding for more than 7-8 km on a single stretch.
I have reached out to numerous bike shops, but no one seems to have the part for this bike. Please share your workaround or any parts available online for this bike.

Regards,
Pravin

Sanju Kuriakose

Jun 7, 2022, 11:59:23 AM6/7/22
to pravin....@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
Rakesh in RR cycles in madiwala Bangalore replaced fork with shock absorbers for Rs 2000. He inserted a Hercules fork with shock absorbers.

--

-cheers,

Sanju Kuriakose

maheshv

Jun 8, 2022, 5:23:42 AM6/8/22
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Try getting a stem riser (available at RR cycles madiwala or online). It will add 2 or 3 inches of height