Teaching adults how to cycle

Ali Poonawala

May 12, 2023, 11:41:48 AM5/12/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)

Hi friends..

Pure joy and gratitude, to announce inaugural session of Bangalore Bicycling School's Sadashivnagar session tomorrow, under able leadership of Suma Arun !!

We will have shared bicycles ( one is donated by Vijay Chabaria of Social Virus 🙏)

If you have a bike, do bring in, you get more practice time ! There is no rental bike scheme here that we know of.

Day / Date : Saturday 13th May 2023

Time 8.00-9.30 AM

Location:

Sadashiva Nagar
https://maps.app.goo.gl/F3oKeLT3pQhcXRKh6

Trainers
Suma      09972019047
Ali.           09845363803
Junaid    098455 59944

Those who want to register to learn:
Attendee roster google form

https://forms.gle/abtC3iqwvifFBd8q8

It would be wonderful if you can even drop in to share our joy !!
share the news to those who want to learn (or teach) cycling, in and around Sadashivnagar (or anywhere in Bengaluru.. actually!)  !!

Keep Pedalling
Ali Poonawala

Ali Poonawala

May 14, 2023, 11:27:40 PM5/14/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends.

Sadashivnagar Inaugural session report :
Saturday 13th May 2023

A landmark day, our first centre with Lady trainer, Suma, as a leader !! She is a natural athelete and I have no doubt this will be a blazing success !

I reached late, partly due to miscalculation of time required and part by taking a wrong turn !

My first visit to the spot, which is well chosen by Suma, having a dead end road next to the park with a reasonable slope.

Suma and Junaid were already there. I helped Kamal who was well supported by Kishor, her hubby, started with basics and was quite quick to ramp up from scooting to pedalling a bit. Balancing will improve as she attends further sessions.

Trainers :3

Suma, Junaid, Ali.

Newbies : 3
Shobha, Kamal, Raji

Senior 1
Kumari Devi

Hello and support : 'relief' gang :

Shiva kumar Devan(Skd) , Arunabha Roy, Gurudeep n his son Parth , Chethana n Julie( 🐶)

Junaid said :
"
Great initiative by Suma ! congrats !

a couple of learners , and a Great start !
"
I agree ! Thanks for pics too Junaid !,💐🙏.

Suma's report:

"
Good Evening . Thank you to each one of you for giving me this opportunity to serve . I would feel guilty staying on this group whenever I couldn’t make it on Sundays. Now I’m relieved n excited to do my best .

Today being the first day we had 4 enthusiastic learners.

1. Kumari Devi .. ongoing learner struggled initially but was quite comfortable after an hour’s session.

2. Raji Subbaram ..my neighbour and first timer needs more practice with balancing n to overcome fear . Shall help her out whenever possible .

3. Kamal .. resident of Sadashivanagar .. first timer seemed to be a quick learner .

4. Shobha .. first timer .. had learnt cycling during her childhood n could get the hang of it within 15 mins. She had a blast n it was a joy watching her ride away .

My friends have assured me to volunteer whenever they can . Thank you .

"
Thanks Suma 🙏👍

Raji made my day by saying she has been following BBS for a long time.  wishing to join...but somehow couldn't...till
Suma made her dream come true by bringing BBS to doorsteps !

Thanks again Suma ! A great beginning ,💖💐

 Keep Pedalling
Ali Poonawala

PS:
Sunday sessions report to follow..ASAP !!
2023-05-12 20-58~2.jpg
2023-05-15 08-34.jpg
2023-05-15 08-32.jpg
2023-05-15 08-19.jpg
2023-05-15 08-22.jpg

Ali Poonawala

May 15, 2023, 11:05:12 AM5/15/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends

Two sessions from Sunday to report

Begur session :

Ganesh sprung a surprise by turning up...his report:

"

Begur, 14-May-2023
Learner 4, Trainer 2

Started the cloudy morning session with Mihir helping Nina and soon the rest of the learners trickling in to take turns as it warmed up.

Nina: As Mihir reports, 'She had joined us last week, she has shown a bit of improvement in this class, learned to scoot  and half pedal, currently learning to balance and pedal'

Abhilasha: Must be the happiest person today as she cracked balancing and got comfortable riding without help for longer lenghts. She had to overcome her lurch and stiffening of shoulders and tight hard grip to get to the point. While many of it like timely breaking and pedaling control still needs a good amount of work to become a relaxed rider, today is a milestone to cherish for her.

Shailja: Returning after about 6 months, Shaija started with very little confidence but got to her old form soon. Needs more practice to fully shed her lurch. However, her stability and good control of speed is a good plus. She must be able to start with turns and signaling after another session of doing consistent straight rides.

Rinaaz: Back after 3 weeks of summer vacation, Rinaaz is learning to start and stop independently. Her ride was a bit rusty compared to what she was able to do consistently before the break. She is now doing a fair job with her stops, we are working on her unspupported starts.

Thanks and bless you for the surprise!🤩

Mihir's report:

"
Nina
She had joined us last week, she has shown a bit of improvement in this class, learned to scoot  and half pedal, currently learning to balance and pedal
Abhilasha
 Its her 5th  class, learnt to pedal but having to hard grip, needs to relax a bit and get more clear on balance and breaking while pedal.

"
Thanks Mihir.. 🙏💐

Cubbon Park

A rather listless, little windy and humid day to start with.. As I reached Primary area, Vachan's dad was trying to locate the place seeking landmarks over the phone, Harshita and Shashwath were already there..and helped to get the bikes out.

Trainers : 5

Ali, Junaid, Shamala,  Anirudd and Deepak

Newbies: ?4

Vachan, ? Sunitha, ?Shobha (Tamil girl) ? Vandana

Seniors : 18

Shaswath, Harshitha, Ankita, Antara, Analisa, Bunu, Avneeta, Alex, Deepa, Neeta, Priyanka, Purvi, Rishika, Shivakumar, Shreya and Smriti, Siddaraju, Srijana.

Hellos
M'm ShanthaLaxmi and Chandrashekar ji,
Debarpita and Akshat Kush

Junaid and Shamala joined, Anirudd was delayed and Deepak even more so.
I started with Vachan, rank newbie, had never handled a bike before and is now in the scooting stage, but tend to swerve a lot.

Helped few seniors with usual correction of faulty techniques, especially braking, and taught half pedalling to Shashwath, Antara and Deepa.
Smriti tried her hand at doing circle, but handle control needs to get better. Mom Nithya was kind to get some gifts but had to  politely refuse.  We will cherish, as Gurudakshina, if she could  convince her mom  (who has misgivings about the proposal 😞) to learn to cycle and thus give us a 3 generation of cycling students pic for our group profile !
Siddaraju is coming but not really learning nuances of higher skills like Signalling. I suppose, like most other  road users in Bengaluru, he considers signalling a waste , to be made extinct in haste !🥺😔

9.20 am..thinking of calling a day, I saw a petite tamil girl , Shobha,  I think her name was, on the saddle of foldie with dad holding the handle bar, on questioning , he got a bit upset saying the poster says free training so he is helping himself ! However he relented when explained that we may do a little better job of training her. She has good skills and progressed but balancing eluded her.

Junaid's report:

"
Purvi was the first one Today and was getting started with scooting, she will be practicing again the next week,
Srijana was the next and was doing good and has promised to come next week to practice more.
Analisa was back doing scooty after the break and would need to come next week to practice more !

Antara has almost got it, she would need to lose her fear to get her balance right.
Siva Kumar was next having practiced scooting from last week, he needs to get his posture right and avoid looking down.

"

Thanks Junaid 💐🙏

Shamala's report:

Got to teach three lovely women - Arshita, Vandana and Neeta.

Arshita: This only her second class and she is getting the hang of scooting. One of those few who doesn't lurch but we need to work on her posture towards being more relaxed than stiff as she scoots. She almost got the hang of scooting this session

Vandana: It's always on to a good start if the learner is determined to learn and stays positive and smiling all through. Vandana is excited to learn but she only needs to get past her fear and not jump off the bike at the slightest! We did try to get her to try out pedaling just to get her comfortable with the cycle, but she still needs some more scooting practice

Neeta: She can pedal, turn. Today it was mostly about practising to navigate turns within tight spaces, to control the turning of the bike - zigzags and figure of eights.

Anirudd's report

"
Shashwath:
Shashwath still needs to work on maintaining a calm and composed demeanor while riding, as he tends to get overly excited. He should focus on using the bicycle brakes instead of relying on his legs for braking. On a positive note, he has made progress by starting to pedal with both legs, and he is learning this skill quite well.

Shivkumar:
Today, Mr. Shivkumar demonstrated impressive scooting skills and showed good progress. In the next session, he can begin learning half pedal or pedaling with both legs. With his determination and continued practice, he is sure to excel in his cycling journey.

Buno:
 Despite arriving late to class, she displayed great determination in learning how to ride a bicycle. While she still faces challenges in riding with both legs on the pedals and maintaining a proper body posture, there has been noticeable improvement since the last class. I suggested she try half pedaling, and it seems to be working well for her. She is now able to sit in the correct position while doing half pedal. Her progress is commendable, and with continued practice, I am confident she will soon overcome these challenges.

I did teach few more but forgot their names, sorry for that
😅

Regards

Anirudd Jegannathan

Deepak's report:

First, Sorry for reaching late today as my daughter planned to join me. We got a bit lost finding parking for a 4 wheeler

Sunetha - Starting back cycling after 30-35 years. She is in a hurry to start cycling again and enthusiastic. She needs to start small and re-learn how to balance. I recommended to use scooty first. She did once and got tired. Hoping to start on scooty from next session.

Aishwarya - She does not need much help now and practices independently. She loses her balance while pedaling. She needs more practice to gain balance.

Sreeja - It was here first day. She has never cycled. She started on scooty to gain balance. She needs few more sessions to gain balance before she is ready to start pedaling.

Bhuno - Today was her 3rd class. She is able to use the scooty with okay balance.
She needs to practice balancing more and work on going uphill.

"
Thanks Deepak💐🙏

We had a photoshoot mid session so the pics have missed a few late students.

at 9.45, On asking to come next weekend, Shobha 's father  says ..."we are from Chennai...were just passing by !..and can my son have a try ?"

 ..that was good prompt  to wrap up the show..  🤔 .. students helping to return bikes to their KSLTA shelter.

Way out near the library, bumped into Debarpita and Ankush coming in, who wondered if we have Cubbon circular next weekend.   My response : I rather wait for Parag's calming presence during the road show !

till next time
Keep Pedalling

Ali Poonawala

2023-05-15 08-03.jpg
2023-05-15 08-02.jpg
2023-05-15 16-14.jpg
2023-05-15 16-09 (1).jpg
2023-05-15 16-15.jpg

Ali Poonawala

May 23, 2023, 11:09:40 AM5/23/23
to GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Sharath Chandar
Hi friends..
We are in a transitory phase at BBS..trying to decentralize our work...

This is Suma's report from Saturday Sadashivnagar session..

Apologies for the delay!

"
Good Morning

Sadashivnagar session report:
Saturday 20 th May 2023

We had 5 learners with us today ..4 Females n 1 Male.

1. Kumari Devi (ongoing)
Today she was able to balance well n ride comfortably . A bit of body movement  needs to be rectified .

2. Raji (ongoing)
Raji was asked to continue scooting to get the balance n she was able to do it. Needs more practice .

3. Komal(ongoing)
Komal says she needs a smaller bike . Ladybird cycle also not comfortable . I have offered to assist her to come n practice in the evenings since she stays in the neighbourhood .. just to get comfortable with the bike. Hope she can make it 🤞

4. Dr. Kamalini ( ongoing)

Rides comfortably needs to learn hand signals n turning the bike.

5. Dr. K. Muniswamappa( First time)

Dr. Muni has childhood memories of riding the bike n he took to the bike like Fish takes to water. It was a pleasure to watch him ride.

Overall a successful session. I will be arranging for another lady bird bike next week.

I would like to Thank Krishna sir , Vijay kumar sir for helping me out today. Krishna sir managed to wake up the entire neighbourhood 😅🤭

I also thank my riding friends.. Aditya Modi and Sam for joining me this morning to volunteer .

That’s all from my end . Good day to all 🙏

"
Thanks Suma !💐🙏

Sunday's Cubbon and Begur session reports to follow !

Keep Pedalling

Ali Poonawala

VID-20230520-WA0033.mp4
VID-20230520-WA0035.mp4
IMG-20230520-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20230520-WA0032.jpg
IMG-20230520-WA0029.jpg

Ali Poonawala

May 23, 2023, 11:17:22 AM5/23/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Ganesh's report:

Begur session 21 05 2023
(Apologies for the delay... 🙏🏽)

21-May-2023, Begur
Learner: 2 , Trainer: 1

Session started with Nina continuing her learning of getting comfortable with the bike. Working between half pedal and full scooting, learning to have her eyes on the road and other basics. More time and efforts will get her cross the escape velocity soon.

Sadly, couldn't continue much with Pretty, our first timer. The only bike we have for learning is quite tall for her to ground her foot/toe. With that, she soon started cramping when we started, so we decided to not continue. I was more disapppointed among the two of us for her not being able to continue. She was determined to come back next week with a rented bike that would suit her. Totally not related but astoundingly coincidental, much later while we were winding up the day's session, Rashmi living around the area who had spoken to me a long time back when we started the center walked up to me asking for our help in her learning and voluntarily offered her fairly new bike to be used for teaching others. Such gestures and goodwill are so humbling and encouraging for us to keep this going.

Abhilasha continued to rock the session this week as well. With her lurch still peeping up now and then, mostly just during uphill, she is resolved to get over it and push herself beyond and further uphill. She did most of her riding by herself today with me jogging along side just for the first round.

Ganesh.

Cubbon Park session 21 05 2023

Ali's report:

TCS 10K traffic restrictions and previous night"s rain with broken branches and uprooted trees all over Cubbon made the distance from Hudson circle to KSLTA stadium a cross country adventure !

Fortunately Primary area was not affected and it was business as usual.

Trainers : 3+2
Junaid, Ali, Vijay
KBDA : Ganesh, Manoj

Newbies :
Madhvi, Vineet, Anumol, Arshiya, Sanya, Shriharsha, Jesvin. Mona

Seniors :
Analisa, Purvi, Deepa, Vachan, Buno, Sreejana, Alex, Priyanka, Ayyan

Madhavi and Vineet were first to arrive

Madhavi
has learnt initial nuances of static balancing scooting and half pedalling. Balancing on the will come in near future, I think.

Vineet :
Childhood learning was refreshed in no time. He did probably get some useful tips while gyan was being passed to Madhvi, and braking was excellent !

Arshiya:
A passer by and again a beneficiary to Madhvi's gyan discourse. She had to leave in a hurry before balancing could be learnt.

Mona:
Another passer by, had exposure early in childhood and did couple of refresh loops to keep in touch with cycling. Stop/start were rectified...hope remains in the usage next time !

Jesvin :
Late arrival, Already using motorcycle so pedal related training was given and he was quick to pick up.

Sriharsha:
Came even later, in car and got harried by TCS traffic restrictions Had a faint while we had gone to park the bicycles in the shelter. Given water by Samaritans and we had a mango drink on his excuse !

Seniors:
Purvi:
Improving, self riding now but still lurching making bike go snaking.
Vachan :
Fearless loose cannon, made his dad sweat ! Too impatient to listen but has remained injury free so far.

Priyanka:
Handle bar control for balancing was emphasized.

Thanks, Junaid, for leading the session.

Junaid’s Report :
Anumol Antony was the first and star of the day! having never tried cycling before, she was nervous at first, then she started off on the balancing confidently, she would need to practice to get her with control in the next week

Srijana Tamang is still learning to balance and has a tendency to panic when everything is going well for her ! she will crack it in the next week and we will celebrate that event !

Sriharsha came late and got his balance in the first few rides and would need to come back next week to master his skills!

Vijay’s Report :

Alex
Alex sir is already cycling, but he was not confident in turnings. By the end of the day he is able to go round.
Elisa
She started the session by scooting. Picked up soon and started peddling on unhill. She is little hesitant on downhill.  By the next session she will be able to do both uphill and downhill on her own.
Anmole
She is first timer. Started scooting confidently and was able to pedal.

Thank you all !
until Next Week !

 Happy Peddling !!!!!!🌸💐🌺🌷🪷🌹

Junaid

IMG-20230523-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230523-WA0033.jpg
IMG-20230523-WA0034.jpg
IMG-20230523-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20230523-WA0037.jpg
IMG-20230523-WA0035.jpg
IMG-20230523-WA0036.jpg
IMG-20230523-WA0032.jpg

Ali Poonawala

May 28, 2023, 11:06:43 PM5/28/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Ganesh Cycling Teacher
Begur - 28-May-2023
Learner 2, Trainer 2

From Mihir, 'Antara had been to Cubbon park last 2 weeks, was finding difficult to travel so joined us in begur, she was good at scooting and balance but scared to pedal, taught her half pedal and would teach next week for better improvement'

Even though she had other things to rush to, (thank you) Rashmi, our patron from DLF brought her Rockrider to help us with the teaching, not realizing the deflated tyres due to non-usage for long. She will join us for learning from next week onwards with the bike taken care by then.

Little Kaushik showed up with his dad a little later. Long way to go while he is settling with the basics now. The lurch has a deadly perch on him even before he starts to pedal.

We are working our way to get him to relax more and get his posture in place.

Ganesh
IMG-20230528-WA0016.jpg

Ali Poonawala

Jun 6, 2023, 10:35:59 AM6/6/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)

Hi friends !

Cubbon Park session :

After battleground like state of previous couple of Sundays, the teaching area was blissfully serene,  a usual sprinkling of shuttle cock players,  group stretchers-possibly runners- and dog walkers greeted my anxious eyes !

Dhananjay, Shraddha and Sai, back from Native, had teamed up to help Junaid with cycles from KSLTA shelter. Anirudd and I brought remaining.

Students trickled in and with Deepak Parag and Shamala joining, we had more trainers at one point than students !

Trainers: 6
Junaid, Ali, Anirudd, Deepak, Parag, Shamala.

Newbies : 6
Anitha, Mehek, Paveethra, Keerthana, Vasantha, Manshi

Seniors : 14

Analisa, , Anumol, Alex, Ashwini, Chitra Deepa, Harshita, Dr. Kamalini, Nikhat, , Neeta, Nivetha, Ningappa, Shaswath, Shriharsha

Hello :
Arya ( alumni) with parents Shalini and Prashanth
Jignu ( Ashwini 's son)
Ewout De Wit ( Consul General, Consulate of
Kingdom of Netherlands, Southern India)

Ali's report :

Shaswath learnt half pedalling today.
Alex found figure of eight bit difficult. needs Quads strengthening exercises, to make upslope an easier proposition.
Anumol and Ashwini became comfortable with tight space maneuvering, using half pedal and handle bar turning.
Vandana is using feet as brakes while scooting. But the ever present smile says 'I will overcome' !

Parag's report:

"
Seniors
Anumol- The architect managed to pedal down comfortably, but struggled a bit on the uphill initially. Later in the session, she managed to do turning, and started on zig zags.
Alex - Practiced Circles today, and started with Figure 8's.
Ashvini- Accompanied by Son Jishnu- Coming after a 3 week break, she practiced turning and figure 8's. She had gotten a rental bike and was a bit apprehensive about mounting and dismounting on the larger frame with the correct saddle height, but after a while she got a hang of it.
Deepa - Practiced zig zags and S curves while pedaling up and down, she still has a bit of a lurch that needs correction, and some trouble starting uphill.
Dr Kamalini- She got a rental bike with a frame that was a bit large for her, and she walked with it to the learning area as she was a bit scared of trying to ride it. With some cajoling, and a testimonial from Ashvini, she managed to start and then comfortably rode around the Bandstand circle, to Bal Bhawan and back a few times, and finally rode back to Hudson circle gate very comfortably.
Neeta- Coming back after a break, she practiced circles, and mastered them,and made good progress on figure 8's.
Nivetha- Managed to crack turning, figure 8's and signaling all in one session today.

"
Thanks Parag ! 🙏💐

Junaid's report :

"

🌞✨ Beautiful Sunday Morning @ Cubbon Park! ✨🌞

What a fantastic day of cycling it was, filled with achievements and determination! Let's celebrate the accomplishments of our incredible riders:

🌟 Mehek stole the show today, finding her balance and confidence effortlessly. Congratulations on a remarkable performance! 🎉

💫 Harshitha found her balance, marking a significant milestone. Confidence will come with time, and we believe in her journey towards self-assurance.

⚡️ Nikhat Jahan's enthusiasm was contagious as she explored Cubbon Park with incredible speed and spirit. Congratulations on your vibrant energy and determination!

👏 Anumol, in practice mode, showcased exceptional dedication and skill. Keep up the excellent work, and the results will follow!

🌺 Keerthana had her first day of cycling today and left early, eager to return next Sunday. We can't wait to see her progress and join in on the exciting journey ahead!

🚲 Rakhi returned after a year-long break, determined to get back into practice. Your commitment is inspiring, and we look forward to seeing you again next Sunday!

💪 Analisa is making steady progress towards finding her balance, and with consistency, she'll achieve great things. Keep pushing forward!

🚴‍♂️ Sriharsha completed a few rounds of practice and left early, eager to continue honing his skills. Your dedication is admirable, Sriharsha!

💫 Ningappa and Shashwath, let's embrace the challenges ahead and strive for improvement in the coming weeks. We believe in your potential!

🌟 A big shoutout to Ashvini and Jishnu for joining us and adding to the pleasant surprises of the day. Your presence made the day even more special. Thank you!

🌞🌳

On this beautiful Sunday morning, we witnessed the power of determination, progress, and a supportive community. Together, let's continue to inspire and uplift each other as we embark on our cycling adventures. Remember, every ride brings us closer to our goals! 🚲✨

"
Thanks Junaid...  👍💐

Shamala's report:

"

Vandana: She attended today after a brief period of absence coz of an injury. She is a beginner so not much was lost, she is making a steady albeit slow progress with her scooting. She has a tendency to lean to the right (lurching) the moment her feet gets off the ground, she needs to relax her posture especially her grip on the handle bar. She is also aware of her flaws and strives to auto correct.

Anita: First class. She came in quite confident and very calm. She has a good stable posture so she was able to crack the scooting with ease. I did try to get her to pedal uphill just to give her that extra hands on with the bike and to assess the natural flaws she might have. She seems to struggle with pedalling - her leg muscles need to get used to powering the pedal, have asked her to do some basic exercises at home and posture correction (she also moves her while body instead of just legs to pedal, which throws her off balance) at home. So hopefully we'll be able.to get her to pedal in three weeks time.

"
Thanks Shamala 🙏💐

Deepak's report:

"
Date : 4/June/23   Location : Cubbon Park Trainer: Deepak

Pavithra - First Day, She had never bicycled earlier. She picked up very fast. She did two rounds of scooty. She was able to balance reasonably in just two rounds. She started on pedal for the next round.  She was able to keep her head still and eyes on the road. Only feedback I have is to be bit a slow while going on the downhill and focus more on balance on low speed.  Engage breaks more gradually while stopping.

Vasantha - Helped in 1/2 rounds. She started on pedals but I feel she needs more practice on scooty. Feedback is to continue the momentum. Keep your hands relaxed while trying to balance.

Ninjappa - Third week. Practicing pedaling but still dragging the feat and not trying to push through the pedals. Feedback is - Practice pedalling and balance while doing the rounds

"
Thanks Deepak 🙏💐

Anirudd's report :

"
Shashwath:
Shashwath would benefit from focusing on maintaining a calm and composed demeanor while riding, as he tends to get overly excited and lacks confidence. It's important for him to avoid comparing himself to others and work on building his confidence. By doing so, he can make faster progress in learning how to cycle. It's crucial for him to overcome his tendency to panic in order to improve his cycling skills.

Avneeta
She is still practicing scooting and facing challenges in balancing without her right leg. It appears that she will need to gather her courage and push herself to move forward. It was beneficial to have her father present on the sidelines, not walking beside her, providing support and encouragement. It's important for her to step out of her comfort zone in order to progress further.

Manshi
On her first day, she is showing great progress in learning how to ride a bicycle. Although she struggles with balancing and tends to lean towards the right side, her determination and quick understanding of cycling concepts are commendable. While she may get nervous and compare herself to others, it is important for her to practice at her own pace to achieve better results. Additionally, it is suggested that Manshi's friend, Alka, can join as a volunteer to assist in training other trainees, as she has proven to be a skilled and effective teacher.

Mehek
In her very first class, she has already started pedaling, which is a remarkable progress within just one day. This demonstrates her quick learning abilities and determination. Based on her current progress, I am confident that she can complete her learning journey in just two more sessions. I have no negative feedback to provide as she is performing exceptionally well.

Ningappa
He is showing good learning abilities and has grasped the basics well. With more practice, he can improve his balance and learn to ride with one leg, as well as achieve the ability to balance without touching the ground with both legs. Although he gets nervous, I have observed that with proper support and encouragement, he can make rapid progress in his cycling skills.

Overall, the trainees have shown promising progress in their cycling journey. However, it is important for them to build self-confidence, avoid comparing themselves to others, and focus on the task at hand instead of looking down at their feet while learning. To address these issues, it would be beneficial to conduct a small theoretical session for all the students, highlighting common mistakes and providing guidance for improvement. I am excited about the upcoming sessions as a trainer and look forward to helping many more individuals in their cycling endeavors.

"
Thanks Anirudd 🙏👍

Post photographs and returning the cycles to the shelter, the volunteers brainstormed about the best way to record day's proceedings and be pro active in addressing issues faced by the students who drop out.  We have no input at all.

As we were winding up, sighted a large figure move past, disappearing at Band stand circle, fraction later..  penny dropped ... isn't that Mr. De Wit ...the Dutch consul general who we heard yesterday at DULT program on the occasion of World Bicycle day ? On an impulse, ran behind  and indeed that was him !
He very graciously stepped back to our teaching area and answered our queries regarding how did they arranged to teach grown ups and the disarming answer was, all of them learn in childhood, may be using stabilizer wheels to start with!
He won't commute in Bangalore traffic as is now and did not foresee those who wield  power do so in a hurry !
After a quick photo for memory, he continued his walk and we dispersed too.

Konark was our last halt before final good byes !

Till next weekend

Keep Pedalling
Ali Poonawala

2023-06-05 21-35.jpg
2023-06-05 21-18.jpg
2023-06-05 21-15.jpg
2023-06-05 21-19.jpg
2023-06-05 21-16.jpg
2023-06-05 20-17.jpg
2023-06-05 21-30.jpg
2023-06-05 20-32.jpg
2023-06-05 21-31~2.jpg
2023-06-05 20-21.jpg

Ali Poonawala

Jun 11, 2023, 2:31:57 PM6/11/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends..

Cubbon Park session Report :

Another "Nothing but us" week end in our teaching area !  Children's school and college re-opening has, probably, poured cold water on event planners' calenders for Cubbon ?

Trainers : 6
Anirudd, Ali, Deepak, Parag, Shamala, Naga Prakash

Newbies: 5+2

Sasikala, Anita, Geetha, (Debashree, Sneha) Shilpee, Keerthana,

Seniors: 14
Abhilasha, Analisa, Avaneeta, Anita, Ankita, Anu, Alex, Jhalak, Jeswin, Mehek, Neeta, Ningappa, Pavithra, Shashwath, Vandana,

Hello:
Amar Prusty, Marathahalli, leader First BBS satellite. working now between Orissa-Bengaluru
Ganapathi- seasoned cyclist
Poornima- Anirudd's sister

Parag's report:

"
Newbies
Debashree-
The high-schooler managed to do balancing and scooting, but has  a bit of a tendency to lean towards the left which causes her to stop often. Ankita tried to help her with the posture correction, and it helped, she should be able to pedal straight by the next session.
Keerthana-
She came last week, but the bikes were too big for her, and she got her own bike today, and tried to learn scooting. With some practice at home over the week, she should be ready to pedal next weekend.
Shilpee-
Today was her first session, and she picked up balancing very fast, and moved on to scooting and a bit of pedaling.

Seniors
Ankita-
Coming back after a break of a few weeks, she got a rental bike to practice today. She is riding well, but a bit rusty with braking and stopping safely and turning, so she practiced that. She should be ready for the Circular ride next sunday.
Alex-
Came on the rental bike and continued his practice of turning , signaling. He is another candidate for Circular next sunday.
Neeta-
Came riding all the way form Home on her own bike, with her friend Vandana for company. She is ready for the circular.
Mehek-
Continued her prodigious learning , today was her 2nd session and she has mastered zig zags and turning, she can move on to Turning/signaling now.

"
Thanks Parag 👍💐

Shamala's report:

"
Stayed focused on Analisa today.
I found her frozen with the cycle on a hot Sunday morning! I initially thought it was her first class but her father clarifies that she can actually pedal so after some coaxing she moved and off she went cycling away until she reached the end of the downhill and she chooses to freeze again. I had to teach her to do turns so she does loops and doesn't stop anymore! That was the only way we could get Ana to keep cycling. She managed to learn how to turn, she did a few loops but still has a bit of starting trouble. We'll give her enough things to keep her cycling and not stop cycling, that's our objective with every learner anyways - that they learn to cycle and then never stop cycling and that they'd commute on their cycles to everywhere! :)

"
Thanks Shamala ..🙏
agree with the stated objective 100% !!🎯

Deepak's report :

"

Date:  11 June 2023 Location: Cubbon Park Trainer : Deepak

Shashikala :
1st Day, Amazing progress on day 1. After just two rounds of scooty, Could do uphill and downhill completely with Pedal. She has done cycling earlier in the school times, so probably muscle memory kicked-in at the right time.  Next focus is gaining confidence in taking turns and navigating through obstacles.

Pavithra:
2nd Day. She is maintaining great performance from day1. Now she is able to pedal uphill and downhill comfortably.  Now focus is on keeping hands and body relaxed while taking turns. Also breaking needs to be smooth without losing balance.

Vandana:
4/5 session: She insisted on doing pedalling today. She is not able to balance the cycle during starting up. I think she needs to go back to scooty. Pedalling is counter productive as pedals keep hitting on the legs and she is losing balance and confidence.

Shashwat:
4/5 session: I appreciate his dedication to come at almost every session and not giving-up even with slow progress during many weeks. In today’s session, He was not able to balance the cycle at all with pedalling.  He also needs to get better at balancing first and should not be in hurry to learn pedalling.

"
Thanks Deepak !👍🎯

Naga Prakash's report:

"
11Jun
Students: Debashree, Sneha, Shilpi
Trainer: Naga Prakash
Location: Cubbon park

*Debashree:*
Debashree contiued her training from her yesterday's Sadashiv nagar session. Got hold of scooting. At the end she wanted to try pedaling and she was able to do pedal downhill. Great progress.. keep practicing.

*Sneha:*
Sneha also continued from yesterday's Sadashiv nagar session. She was able to pedal properly. Just continue practicing Sneha.

*Shilpi:*
Was just helping her for sometime when she wanted to start pedaling. She is not comfortable yet, but can pickup easily.

"
Thanks Naga !🙏💐

Anirudd's report:
"

Shashwath:
Shashwath requires significant attention and focus on managing his over-excitement, fear, self-confidence, and anxiety, as these factors are hindering his progress in learning how to cycle. Supporting and encouraging him can be challenging, considering his tendency to panic quickly. However, it is crucial for him to find a sense of calmness in order to excel. By consistently practicing and pedaling with determination, he can make notable improvements. It is also important for him to take ownership of his progress by practicing independently.

Ankita
Today marked her first class, and she displayed a remarkable aptitude for learning. With a little more practice and determination, she is on the verge of mastering cycling independently in no time.

Mehek
Today, Mehek began practicing zigzag riding, which indicates her readiness to move on to the next stage of learning. Her quick learning ability is truly impressive.

Ningappa
Ningappa is showing good progress in his learning journey, although there were instances when he reverted back to scooting. However, with the support and guidance from Ali and myself, we ensured that he continued to move forward. It is evident that Ningappa has the potential to learn how to cycle very soon.

"
Thanks Anirudd🙏💐
Ankita is actually a senior.

Cubbon Circular was postponed to next weekend since the safety index was considered sub par.

Till next weekend..
Keep Pedalling

Ali Poonawala
2023-06-11 22-57.jpg
2023-06-11 14-32.jpg
2023-06-11 14-34 (2).jpg
2023-06-11 14-32 1.jpg
2023-06-11 14-33.jpg

Ali Poonawala

Jun 19, 2023, 10:30:21 PM6/19/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends..

Cubbon Park session:

Cloudy and sultry day with rain gods playing hide and seek.. Surprise awaited at the museum gate, this being never closed before, was shut with the security guard, who muttered something about no permission but allowed sneak passage anyway!

in teaching area itself, stage of Mitrathon 2023  in the  middle with tables being set with medals atop, was a bit deflating...  but we have survived worse !  Rousing welcome from the whole of the Chickpet Marwadi gang brought back the spring in the legs; Shashwath got to getting the bikes with them and the show was on !

Trainers: 5

Junaid, Parag, Ali, Anirudd, Shamala,

Newbies: 3
Preethika, Mandara, Kreethika K,

Seniors: 11

Analisa, Avanita, Debashree, Mehek, Pavithra, Dr. Kamalini, Neeta, Shabin, Shilpee, Shivkumar, Shaswath, Sneha,

PedalShaale Trainees :

1.Harish from HSR layout
Greenpeace
2.Deepika
3.Ramya (Rajamma)
4.Shobha
5.Manjula
6.Poonam
(Poornima)

Hello :
CFAM : Nidhi, Deep
Dr. Arun, Raghuveer.
Presha 💖 with her dad !

Started with Shashwath, who remains an enigma; fine... as long as gravity does the powering...going uphill...scene changes , and he is rocking and the cycle is rolling side to side, both totally out of sync !! He pays lip service but very little changes in ground reality

Preethika, a newbie, was next, after 10 minutes of 'gyan' about left leaning safety and and then demo about scooting, which she grasped in no time, In fact, probably I was rushing her through pedalling because she started so well !

Kreethika was next. newbie at Sadashivnagar yesterday, yet to get the balancing part as she scoots. Can lift off her feet for 3-4 seconds...should do well as time marches on !

Parag's report:

"
Newbies
Mandara- Star of the day, she was able to pick up balancing and scooting in a short while, and progressed all the way to pedaling today.

Seniors
Analisa- Cracked both dowhhill and uphill riding today, and started with long S curves to prepare for zig zag and turning.
Mehek- Continued her fast learning and managed to do turning and zigzags.
Pavitra- This was her 3rd class, and after a couple of rounds of scooting she managed to pedal down confidently, but still struggled a bit with pedaling uphill.
Dr Kamalini- Practiced circles, hand signaling and also came on the circular ride.
Neeta- Managed to ride all the way form home by herself today, and practiced signaling, before joining us on the Cubbon circular.
Sneha- Practiced turning and bit of signaling, and successfully completed the Circular.

Thanks Parag !👍💐

Shamala's report:

"
Gave an introduction to five women from the garment factory(Greenpeace initiative supported by BBS) who have come forward to become trainers and teach the women within their community in Peenya. I introduced them to 'braking' and 'scooting' and then Dr. Ali took over for a more practical session of 'training' the trainers'. After which we set out for our first 'cubbon circular' ride where students taught at BBS braved the gnarly bengaluru traffic

Thanks Shamala 🙏💐

Anirudd's report:

"
Shashwath:
I have guided him to revert back to scooting because it is important for him to focus on balancing properly and improving his body posture before progressing to pedaling. Practicing on his own outside of the classes will be beneficial for his progress in learning how to cycle.

Sneha
Sneha is showing remarkable progress in her learning journey. She has successfully mastered zigzag riding and can now be encouraged to practice in tighter spaces as she becomes more comfortable. I provided guidance on correcting her mistake of not starting with the right leg position on the pedal, and she quickly made the necessary adjustments. Today, she even accomplished a circular ride, demonstrating increased confidence on the bicycle.

Mehek
During today's session, I ensured that Mehak was comfortable and proficient in performing zigzag maneuvers in a wide area, which she accomplished perfectly. Consequently, I introduced the concept of zigzagging in tighter spaces, although she still requires some additional practice as her handling was a bit messy. However, I am confident that with continued effort, Mehak will soon improve her skills and be ready to progress to more advanced techniques such as figure 8 patterns and hand signals.

Shivkumar
Shivkumar is showing good progress in learning how to ride a bicycle, although he occasionally reverts back to scooting instead of pedaling. It is important to closely monitor his practice sessions to ensure he stays on track. He mentioned a lack of available bikes for practice, so I made it a point to intervene whenever I saw him and provided him with a pedal bike to practice on. By consistently guiding and encouraging him, we can help him overcome this setback and continue his progress in learning to ride confidently.

I suggest that once the trainees gain confidence in riding, we provide them with rental cycles to ensure that all participants have access to a bicycle during the sessions. This will prevent any delays in learning for new trainees who may not have their own bicycles. Additionally, incorporating some stretching exercises before the practice sessions can help boost their confidence and prepare their bodies for cycling. Furthermore, organizing a workshop on how to use gears can be beneficial for trainees who are eager to learn more advanced techniques. This will address their inquiries and provide them with valuable knowledge to enhance their cycling skills.

"
Thanks Anirudd for the report and suggestions 👍💐

Junaid's report:

Sunday Report: Sunday 18th June 2023, Cubbon Park

Shilpi: Shilpi showed promising progress with her balance during the session. However, she would benefit from practicing more to build her confidence, particularly when it comes to braking and not jumping off the saddle. With consistent practice, she can overcome these challenges and further improve her cycling skills.

Keertana: Keertana started the session with confidence, building on the progress made during the last session at Sadashivnagar on Saturday. To maintain momentum and balance, Keertana should focus on pedaling harder. It is important for Keertana to avoid swaying the torso for balance and instead use the handlebar to maintain stability. By addressing these areas, Keertana can enhance their cycling experience.

Analisa: Analisa would benefit from dedicating more time to practice in order to improve her balance and gain confidence. With regular practice, she can overcome any difficulties she may be facing and gradually enhance her cycling skills.

Debashree: Debashree performed exceptionally well during the session and demonstrated remarkable energy levels. She displayed great enthusiasm by practicing diligently even after everyone else had left for the day. Debashree's dedication and commitment to improving her cycling skills are commendable.

Mehek: Mehek arrived at the session with full energy and actively engaged in practice. Her enthusiasm was evident as she wholeheartedly participated in the activities. With consistent effort and practice, Mehek can continue to make progress in her cycling journey.

Shabin: After a break, Shabin seemed to have lost some confidence in cycling. It is important for Shabin to regain confidence through regular practice. By dedicating more time to cycling and overcoming any initial hesitations, Shabin can rebuild their confidence and resume progress in their cycling abilities.

Overall, the session witnessed a mix of progress, enthusiasm, and areas for improvement. Each participant has the opportunity to continue their cycling journey by dedicating time to practice, building confidence, and addressing specific challenges. Keep up the great work and enjoy the process of learning and improving your cycling skills!

"
Thanks Junaid🙏💐

PedalShaale Trainees report :

Harish was first to arrive and being a cyclist, did not need too much 'gyan' ! He had gone through the quick reference document too. He will be teaching  next time.
Greenpeace ladies reached late and after Shamala (see her report) I had a 15 minute session before we got to group click.

Cubbon circular :
Student Trainer pairs:

Heera.           -             Ali
Neeta             -            Shamala
Sneha            -             Parag
Dr.Kamalini   -             Harish
Siddhu                         on his own !

Anirudd and Poornima dropped out because came on scooter ( what to say !🥺)

Both Heera and Dr. Kamalini showed grit and completed the ride, although lack of half pedaling was a serious handicap !
 Nita was good, peeled off at stadium. Sneha's ride was a great success, considering this is just second weekend for her ! Bravo 👏
Hope this has helped them to identify their strength and weakness.
2023-06-18 23-09.jpg
2023-06-18 23-08.jpg
2023-06-18 23-10 1.jpg
2023-06-18 23-10 2.jpg
2023-06-18 22-27 1.jpg
2023-06-18 23-10.jpg
2023-06-18 22-26.jpg
2023-06-18 22-27.jpg
2023-06-20 07-51.jpg

Ali Poonawala

Jun 27, 2023, 11:47:54 AM6/27/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends..

Cubbon Park session report:

Rains have finally made it to Bengaluru so   blankets and brollies 🌂 are out again..

Leak in the back tire of my foldie became a flat just after Hudson circle and somehow made it to the training area.

Junaid had already sent our Marwadi friends to fetch the cycles and I thought had time before students  trickle in, but had to leave the fixing half way.

Trainers : 4

Junaid, Vijay, Ali, Parag

Newbies: 6

Stella, Saraswati, Rupashree, Pratik, Pushpa, Srivalli,

Seniors : 11

Analisa, Ashwini, Debashree, Harshita, Dr. Kamalini, Ningappa, Priyanka, Preetika, Sneha, Siddhu, Shilpee,

Hello:
Nidhi from CFAM,

Saraswati had been to Sadashivnagar on Saturday and continued her scooting, found the gentler slope of the museum half of the parking area more conducive for her lesson. There is significant lurch which will surely correct in future sessions.

Rupashree was next and almost repeated Saraswati's progress, but on cycle with pedals. Good show gor first session.

Checked stopping reflexes of some of the senior students, Most students do not left lean the cycle after braking and lift the right foot off the pedal, both are unsafe. Avoid incorrect steps, if you want to remain safe !

Parag's report :

"
Newbies
Srivalli- The 9th grader was walking in the park with her parents, and they saw the poster and walked over to have her try to learn. She did well for her first day, starting with static balancing and then scooting. She tended to have the shoulder dropping to the left which needed to be corrected before progressing further on pedaling. Debashree helped her a bit with the alignment, and that improved things a bit, she is able to pedal, but still has a bit of lurch, which she will try and fix the next weekend.

Seniors
Sneha V- On Her last weekend here before relocating to Mumbai, she practiced riding, turning, and doing a bit of signaling. And along with Debashree, she has kindly volunteered to help out with our digital presence. And she got Pedas for everyone !

Debashree- She has made a lot of progress in todays session, moving from pedaling up and down, to taking U turns and full circles in both directions. She still has a slight lurch, but it is getting smaller with every class, she is a very determined young lady.

Dr Kamalini- Practiced signaling , and then showing a lot of pluck, rode back all the way home with Vijay Kumar escorting her, to ensure she gets back home safely. Kudos to both of them.
Shilpee- Continued her rapid progress from the last class, and managed to do pedaling without a lurch and a bit of turning today.

"

Thanks Parag 🙏💐

Junaid's report:

📆 Sunday 25th June 2023 Report:

🚲 Stella - A first-timer, accompanied by her husband and little Irene, started off confidently and quickly found her balance. She was able to ride solo for a considerable distance. Stella should continue practicing to gain more confidence in the next session.

🚲 Pratik - An absolute first-timer who managed to scoot for some distance. He needs to loosen up and work on his posture in the next class to improve his riding skills.

🚲 Shilpee - Dedicated to practicing, Shilpee needs more practice to improve her ability to ride in a straight line. Keep up the effort!

🚲 Priyanka - Needs to practice and consider trying the Cubbon circular ride in the future. Keep working on your skills and enjoy exploring new routes!

🚲 Analisa - Showed significant improvement in scooting and is on track to start balancing in the coming weeks. Keep up the progress!

🚲 Ashwini - Doing well with scooty, Ashwini should aim to try riding in the next class. Keep up the good work and challenge yourself further!

Keep up the enthusiasm, practice regularly, and enjoy the journey of becoming better cyclists! 🚴‍♀️💨

"
Thanks Junaid !👍💐🙏

Vijay's report:

Ashwini – She had started scooting on Saturday at Sadashivanagar and was little hesitant.  At the end of the day in Cubbon Park, she was able to scoot without fear.  By the next session she should be able to pedal.

Pushpa – She had left cycling way back around 15 years and wanted to start again.  She picked up scooting within couple of minutes.   She was not able to pedal on Uphill and was losing her balance.  By next session she will be ok.

Thanks Vijay..both for the report and  'escorting' Dr. Kamalini for the home ride ! 💖🙏💐

We had the obligatory click for memories, I went back to the foldie and with Parag's help, managed to get the flat fixed.

Sneha bid good bye with pedhas and Junaid with dates, to bring curtains down on hopefully a good session for our wonderful bunch of students !!

Till next weekend...
Keep Pedalling !

Ali Poonawala

2023-06-27 07-11 1.jpg