Work us, please....

Scott Parker K7LU

Sep 27, 2019, 5:53:44 PM9/27/19
to BYUARC
Anyone who has spent any amount of time spinning the dial of a general coverage receiver is probably familiar with radio station WWV, operated by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.  WWV is a wonderful resource for accurately setting your clocks, checking the accuracy of your rig's frequency calibration and in some circumstances serves as an indicator of propagation (or lack thereof.)

WWV is about to celebrate 100 years of operation and as part of the celebration, special event station WW0WWV will be active from the WWV transmitter site.  Dana, AF7Z and I will be over in Fort Collins tomorrow evening helping to put WW0WWV on the air and it would be great if someone from the club would get on and work us.  That may be something of a challenge as our assigned bands are 30 and 160 meters.  160 is probably out of the question, but since you can't run QRO on 30m anyway, I'm thinking that maybe the rig's internal tuner can dial the dipole in on 30m.  And yes, we'll be operating CW exclusively, but don't be afraid.  I will slow down for you.  I will match your speed.  Our assigned slots for 30m will be Saturday evening 9:00 to 11:00 PM local time.  After that, we'll be going over to 160 for another couple of hours.

If no one wants to give us a shot on 30 CW, at least get on and work WW0WWV somewhere.  There will be four stations operating simultaneously, using all HF bands (except 60m) with a mix of SSB, CW, and FT8.  Most operating slots are staffed, meaning that for the majority of any 24 hour period, all four stations will be on the air.  Should be an easy shot on 40 meters from Provo.

73 DE K7LU

Sep 27, 2019, 6:31:41 PM9/27/19
to k7...@arrl.net, BYUARC
Hi Scott,

Not in the club anymore, but I live within viewing distance of WWV in
Wellington, CO. I'll let my local HAM friends know about it. My next
door neighbor has quite the HF setup. Maybe he'll let me 3rd party off
his stuff...

Good luck!

Alex Wilson
KE7YCI