Want to know more specific about intermediate event

Fendyanto

Dec 2, 2020, 10:03:28 AM12/2/20
to BPMN Forum
Hi guys, i got stuck when i try to understand how an intermediate event work.

2 Penyewaan Mobil.jpg

let's we assume that the path start form the first exclusive gateway and then the path going through to the second exclusive gateway and ended with end event. What will happen with the intemediate message event at the top swimlane (Petugas Mekanik)?

Sorry i still learn, so if i define wrong definition please tell me.
Thanks

Anthony Horner

Dec 4, 2020, 4:53:59 AM12/4/20
to BPMN...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So you have a diagram showing two processes (in two swimlanes).  There are two intermediate events happening in the diagram.  The first happens when the bottom process receives some communication from the top process and the second when the bottom process sends communication back to the top process.

In the scenario you're describing where the process along the bottom reaches the first exclusive OR gateway then the second and then ends there will be no communication sent from the bottom process to the top.  Using the exclusive gateway means that the flow of the process goes one way or the other.  In this case the top process will remain waiting for a message that will never arrive.

I would suggest some error handling so that if the bottom process ends then it needs to make the top process aware and top process can then close out without leaving the process unfinished.

Thanks,

Anthony

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BPMN Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/BPMNforum/4fa0cc95-2f7f-4ed8-a71a-0fdfeb28f999o%40googlegroups.com.

FABRIZIO Fornari

Dec 4, 2020, 4:54:08 AM12/4/20
to BPMN Forum
Hi,

from my understanding, the Petugas Mekanik process will be stuck waiting for a message that, in the case you are describing, will not be sent by the process Penyewa.

You may look at "Event Based Gateway". One solution could be using the event based gateway for defining one flow with the intermediate message event and another flow with a timer that tells Petugas Mekanik process what to do in case it does not receive a message within a certain amount of time.

Hope this helps