Positioning of Gateways and Data Objects within lanes

Serdar Bulut

May 20, 2019, 12:19:09 PM5/20/19
to BPMN Forum

Are there explicit rules of playcing data objects and gateways within specific lanes.

Usually i place a data object within the lane where the task is performed. But using different BPMN Tools it is also possible to put the data object of a given task in the neighbouring lane? Is there any difference where you place the data object?

bpmn-ex1.png

Also, if you divide a process path into multiple paths by using a gateway (AND, OR, XOR ...) it is possible that the subsequent process are in different lanes. In that case I could theoretically place the gateway within the lane of the prior task, or within the lane of the latter task. My intuition tells me you should place it immediately after the first task (so in the lane of the prior task), but I am not sure if there is any differetiation. Unfortunately, I could not find the answers in any books.

Looking at the example my questions are: Can I drag the AND-split into the lower lane? If the task "PACKAGE GOODS" had a data object as an output, could I place the data object into either the middle lane or the lower lane?
Thx for the help.

bpmn-ex1.png

Massimo Coletti

May 20, 2019, 6:17:22 PM5/20/19
to BPMN Forum
Lanes are only a grouping feature, commonly used to group activities performed by one organizational unit. Data Objects are usually placed near the activity that interacts with them; this can also improve readability.

Gateway, in my opinion are better placed in the same lane of the single preceding or following activity.

Matt Burns

May 20, 2019, 9:28:39 PM5/20/19
to BPMN Forum
Massimo's response is correct. My only addition to this is that these are going to be largely stylist choices. I believe the objects that 'care' where they're placed in the lanes are Events and Tasks, since that dictates the who, what, when, where, etc.

If you haven't already, Bruce Silver's BPMN Method & Style is a great place to go for not only tips and advice on how to use BPMN, but also for stylist information and inspiration.

As a general rule, however, I do what Massimo recommends and just keep my data objects near my tasks & events and my gateways in the same lane as the preceding event or task. As always, the most important thing is readability.

Hope this helps