Help to model the model of research communication

Geraldo Xexeo

Feb 20, 2019, 9:04:39 PM2/20/19
to BPMN Forum
Hi,

  I am trying to model the process of communicating the results of a research based on DSR.
  The idea is that there is a research process that follows some steps. All these steps provide learned lessons. From the learned lesson there is the publication of reports/papers/etc...

   Currently, we achieved a more complicated version of the following model (what goes inside "Perform Research" is more complex)

Image 5.png

I would like some suggestion regarding the relation between both processes.

The main point is to represent that: it is possible to communicate after any subprocess, there can be many communcations being made at the same time (we use the symbol of task with parallelism) but just one research process running (does not need to enforce it with a test).

Do you have any suggestions for a better BPMN diagram stating that?

Thanks
Jerry

Matt Burns

Feb 20, 2019, 10:40:07 PM2/20/19
to BPMN Forum
Hi Jerry,

To start with, you need to add Start and End events to your Perform Research sub-process.

Secondly, I'm not entirely sure what you're attempting to achieve, but I here's what I understand:

  • The "communicate learned lessons" is multi-instance, in that it can occur multiple times
  • The communicate lessons learned occurs after the Perform Research sub-process is complete (i.e. it is not triggered during a Perform Research sub-process)
  • The Perform research sub-process is only every single instance.
Currently your Communicate Learned Lessons process doesn't really meet the BPMN 2.0 spec. What I would recommend is perhaps one of two things:
  1. After the Perform Research sub-process ends, you transition to an XOR gateway where the Communicate Lessons Learned is one pathway and the following pathway goes to your Exclusive gateway check and then your End event. I'm not really sure if this would work to spec, but it's one idea. Alternatively you could try;
  2. After the Perform Research Event you add an Intermediate Throwing Message Event which connects to the Event Sub-process of "Communicate Lessons Learned", which begins with a Catching Message Event and ends with a Standard End Event. This would mean every time you complete Perform Research, you begin the Communicate Learned Lessons process.
Just some thoughts to get you in the right direction. I'm not sure if they fit your use case, but hopefully they help.

I'd recommend picking up Bruce Silver's BPMN Method & Style if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Matt