Writing Materials for Distance Learners

missan

Jan 31, 2008, 9:38:57 PM1/31/08
to Bagladesh Open School
Dear Participants,
In order to engage you in pre-workshop ddiscussions and also to
prepare you for the forthcoming fce-toface workshop, I request you to
kindly reply to this mail with your personal opinions and experiences
of writing distance learning materials. Your replies should focus on
the follwong questions:

1. What problems you have faced in wiriting distance learning
materials? (including lack of knowledge, skills and attitudes towards
distance education and distance learners)
2. Do you think there is any difference between distance eduation
materials and textbooks available in the market? If yes, what are the
differences?
3. What approach is taken at your institution to develop distance
learning material? (course team approach, individual teacher on job/
on contract, any other).
4. Any interesting episode with regard to writing of distance learning
materials that you would mlike to share with the group?

I look forward to your views....

With regards,
Sanjaya Mishra
Online Resource Person

mahinda rajapakse

Feb 1, 2008, 2:19:21 AM2/1/08
to bo...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends

1. The problem we face writting materials is We have lack of knowledge about the Distance Learners.

2. Yes, there are differences between learning material and the textbook. They are,
* The way of presentation.
* Distance materials are self learning materials.
3. To develop learning materials we use course team approach.

4. I like to share with you writting audio scripts to the Distance learns.
Thank you.
Rajapakse.

> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:38:57 -0800
> Subject: Writing Materials for Distance Learners
> From: sanjayami...@gmail.com
> To: BO...@googlegroups.com

motaharul islam

Feb 1, 2008, 11:25:35 PM2/1/08
to BO...@googlegroups.com
Dear Missan
Thank you for your mail. Sorry for lately answer.  My opinions are:

1.I havn't got enough training for writing distance learnig materials, thats why sometimes I failed to understand the differences between Objectives and Learnig Outcomes in moduler system for develop Text.
2.Yes there is a basic difference that is-distance materials are learners oriented and market text are class teacher oriented.
3.Sometimes course team and sometimes individual teacher on job approach.
4.Yes I have. At BOU I am working as a CoCoordinator of JSC project,at the time of developing text materials for the learners, some ODL expert asked and confused me about the Objectives and Learning Outcomes of the lesson of the  text.

With Regards

Md. Motaharul Islam

Assistant Professor
and
CoCoordinator of JSC Project

BOU

missan

Feb 2, 2008, 1:44:47 AM2/2/08
to Bagladesh Open School
Dear Raja,
I am glad that you mentioned about the knowledge about our distance
learners, and we assume a lot about them leading to problem in the
text. The question however, is how to understand our learners and
their need and provide the appropriate learning materials?

with regards, Sanjaya

missan

Feb 2, 2008, 1:48:50 AM2/2/08
to Bagladesh Open School
Dear Motaharul Islam,
No problem, you now have this trainign programme, whete you can
clarify your doubts. With Prof. Pand and Prof. Murthy, please take
time to discuss with them any issues related to distance learning
materials. With this message, I am also making request to Prof. Panda
to take a copy of my article on Objectives published in Indian Journal
of Open Learning, which may be useful to clarify your doubts.

Your points related to learner oriented and teacher oriented is very
good.

with regards, Sanjaya

Sanjaya Mishra

Feb 2, 2008, 1:52:07 AM2/2/08
to Most Najnin Jahan, BO...@googlegroups.com
Dear Najnin,
I am sure in this project, you will get some opportunity to write distacne learnng material. Moreover, you have edited some already existing materials, and thus have some experiences. Your beliefs and ideas will get strengthened in this workshop. Some ideas may also get clarified.

regards, Sanjaya

On 2/1/08, Most Najnin Jahan <najra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear Sanjaya,
I'm sorry to say that i had to  write no distance learning materials till today. After joining BOU, i found the text materials(Philosophy and Logic) written by others. I have edited a course material only from where i found a significance between our learning materials and textbooks available in the market particularly in the presentation style, language and contents.What approach i have experienced in developing distance learning materials in our institution is course team approach.

With regards,
Najnin,BOU

Most. Najnin Jahan
Lecturer(Philosophy),Open School
Bangladesh Open University,Gazipur-1705
Mobile Phone#+88- 01716 916574.Fax: +88-02-9291122

Sanjaya Mishra, PhD
Reader in Distance Education
Staff Training and Research
Institute of Distance Education
Indira Gandhi National Open University
Maidan Garhi, New Delhi 110068
INDIA
Alternate email: sanjay...@hotmail.com
My blog: http://teachknowlogist.blogspot.com
My websiteL http://www.learningindia.net/sm/CV.htm

zobaida akhter

Feb 2, 2008, 4:15:44 AM2/2/08
to bo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sanjaya Mishra

I reply to your email.

1. I have developed  Logic 1st paper and 2nd paper books just after joining at BOU. Before that I was in Govt.University college. I have consultated with my senior colleagues and go through their books to know about self-learning material development. Actually I did not feel  uncomfortable in developing the books. I felt that if I had a training on this, these books would be more attractive and more harmonious with international standard.

2.There are no differences in content and curriculum but there is a difference in approach and presentation.

3.Course team approach and individual teacher on job.

4. It seems to me interesting and challenging to introduce a chapter on gender issues in the social science book of JSC programe. It is for the first time in Bangladesh in junior secondary level gender issues is included.

Regards
Zobaida Akhter

Dr Zobaida Akhter

Associate Professor, Bangladesh Open University

Address: G-1(9th floor) Bhaduri Tower, 1/B. Paribagh, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
Telephone:+8802 8620942, Fax:+8802 9675317,
Mobile:+88 01715011224
Email: zobaid...@hotmail.com,
zob...@gmail.com

> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:38:57 -0800
> Subject: Writing Materials for Distance Learners
> From: sanjayami...@gmail.com
> To: BO...@googlegroups.com

tasrun jahan

Feb 2, 2008, 6:09:14 AM2/2/08
to BO...@googlegroups.com
Dear  Sanjay
Thanks for your mail. My personal opinions are-----
1.I just finished writing a book for BBS programme but I got insufficient training on distance learning materials . I tried hard to write this book in a right way. I took help from my experienced colleagues as well as existing materials. If I had the sufficient training on distance learning materials it would be more easier for me.
2.Yes, difference in approaching.
3.Course team approach & individual teacher on job.
4.Actually in every episode, I felt exciting to think when my book will be published.

Abu Reza

Feb 2, 2008, 11:36:15 PM2/2/08
to BO...@googlegroups.com
1. I didn't write any material for distance education. But I edit some &
read more distance learning material. I know the form of distance learning
materials.
2. I think there are many difference between distance education
materials and textbooks available in the market.
3. Some times course team approach, some times individual teacher on job
approach or contract basis.
4. N/A.
Abu Reza

Now you have the training and hope you will utillize it to the fullest
extent. It is always a good dea to turn to colleagues for help. Well,
you may like to revisit the BBS materials you have already written
after the workshop.

with regards, Sanjaya

On Feb 2, 4:09 pm, "tasrun jahan" <tasrun.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear  Sanjay
> Thanks for your mail. My personal opinions are-----
> 1.I just finished writing a book for BBS programme but I got insufficient
> training on distance learning materials . I tried hard to write this book in
> a right way. I took help from my experienced colleagues as well as existing
> materials. If I had the sufficient training on distance learning materials
> it would be more easier for me.
> 2.Yes, difference in approaching.
> 3.Course team approach & individual teacher on job.
> 4.Actually in every episode, I felt exciting to think when my book will be
> published.
> On 2/1/08, missan <sanjayamishra.ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear Participants,
> > In order to engage you in pre-workshop ddiscussions and also to
> > prepare you for the forthcoming fce-toface workshop, I request you to
> > kindly reply to this mail with your personal opinions and experiences
> > of writing distance learning materials. Your replies should focus on
> > the follwong questions:
>
> > 1. What problems you have faced in wiriting distance learning
> > materials? (including lack of knowledge, skills and attitudes towards
> > distance education and distance learners)
> > 2. Do you think there is any difference between distance eduation
> > materials and textbooks available in the market? If yes, what are the
> > differences?
> > 3. What approach is taken at your institution to develop distance
> > learning material? (course team approach, individual teacher on job/
> > on contract, any other).
> > 4. Any interesting episode with regard to writing of distance learning
> > materials that you would mlike to share with the group?
>
> > I look forward to your views....
>
> > With regards,
> > Sanjaya Mishra
> > Online Resource Person- Hide quoted text -

jafaur ahamed

Feb 4, 2008, 3:57:30 AM2/4/08
to BO...@googlegroups.com

missan <sanjayami...@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks for mail
for ur  kind information i would like to inform u that till now i have written 10 credits books (Accounting related)  for distance learners.
I have faced the following problems for developing distance materials:
* i m confused to match the volume of unit and level of learners.
* various types of mathematical problems which absolutely need hands on solution, but dificult for distance learners.
yes traditional books and distance learners books are something different, traditional books are developed focuses on class lecture, lab based, & face to face conversation, but distance materials are self-explained.

Basically, we the teachers of BOU are develop the materials, some times some expert from outside of BOU are included in writters panel. Reviewer, illustrator, editor comes from both inside and outside

I m interested to deveolp a short book tittled " How to prepare a financial reports" for distance learners.

thanks

amirul islam

Feb 4, 2008, 4:27:09 AM2/4/08
to BO...@googlegroups.com
Dear S. Mishra,

Thanks a lot for your e-mail.  I am really sorry for my delay response.

1. We are facing lots of problem when we are going to write distance learning materials. I think, there are some basic differences between distance learning materials and conventional text materials. in distances leaning materials we see some behavioural objectives at the starting of the lesson, but we donot have enough knowledge about writing procedure of that objcetives. This material is also  self  learning material. But how and why is it self learning. We don't have vast  knowledge  to make it self learning for the learners. I don't have any training on this regards. Recently I have engaged myself  to acquire knowledge of that materials for the development of distance learning materials.

2. I think, in the first question, I have also answered it. Besides these, there are some instructions for the learners, sothat it makes easy to learn for the learners. This should be learner oriented. I think content should converted by some animation, colourfull photograph, eassy realising materials, sothat learners can realise it easily.

3.  Sometimes course team approach and sometimes individual teacher.

4. No thanks.

Best regards

Dr. Mohd. Amirul Islam
Assistant Professor
Open School
Bangladesh Open University

Tapon Kumar Das

Feb 4, 2008, 8:12:11 AM2/4/08
to BO...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mishra
1. I think I gained some knowledge during implementation of JSC program.
Also I work as communication worker, so that I have ideas about distance
learners. But due to lack of good example available at my atmosphere, we
could not use gained knowledge properly.
2. Of course distance materials are for the learners, these are self
instructional, communicative, essay, simple and learners friendly, but text
materials are traditional.
3. We try to follow course team approach but we could not follow the
approach properly because of attitude of concerned.
4. I am wondering that without training on the distance mood people take
responsibility to write materials for ODL. Sometime they select as editor
and they change the mood.

Tapon Das
CAMPE, Bangladesh.

Feb 4, 2008, 9:17:56 AM2/4/08
to Bagladesh Open School
Dear Jafaur Ahamed,
Hope during the worksshop, you will ahve discussion on Credits as
defined at BOU, and also issues related to level of the learners and
the workload. We at IGNOU has certain conventions, and I am sure the
resource persons will share those with you. It is really great that
you are already geared up to write some new materials.

All the best...

with regards, Sanjaya

On Feb 4, 1:57 pm, jafaur ahamed <jaf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> missan <sanjayamishra.ig...@gmail.com> wrote:    thanks for mail

missan

Feb 4, 2008, 9:23:29 AM2/4/08
to Bagladesh Open School
Dear Amirul Islam,
We are all in the same boat. I am glad that you have articulated the
problems, and these will give a new dimension to the workshop
discussions. As I have seen teh workshop schedudles, many of your
concerns will be tackled during the workshop, and you will have
support and guidance during the project to clarify doubts and improve
exisitng skills and expertise.

with regards, Sanjya

missan

Feb 4, 2008, 9:27:13 AM2/4/08
to Bagladesh Open School
Dear Tapon,
You rightly identified that training on development of self learning
material is an important component to develop quality distance
leanring materials. I suppose, this project will be greatly useful in
creating a group of experts who can take on the role of trainers for
other distacne teachers. With persons like you (as a communication
worker) in the group, I think we will have more experts to write
distance learning materials and therefore, may be you will have more
examplar materials!

with regards, Sanjaya

mahinda rajapakse

Feb 5, 2008, 12:51:38 AM2/5/08
to bo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sanjaya

Thank you very much for your e mail. Firstly we did the survey about our learners. We called that need survey. Then we found their needs and what sourt of them. My other idea is this. I think open learning materials are more user friendly. Thank you.

Rajapakse

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:44:47 -0800
> Subject: Re: Writing Materials for Distance Learners
> From: sanjayami...@gmail.com
> To: BO...@googlegroups.com

Minanoor Rahman Akhand

Feb 6, 2008, 2:17:40 AM2/6/08
to BO...@googlegroups.com
Dear mishra

Sorry for late my response to you.
1. I did not write any distance learning materials, but I gained some
knowledge & closely involved during the JSC text material development
process. But I develop Training & education related materials of
previous Job. I know the Distance learning concept & Materials.
2. Of course, distance materials are for the learners, these are self
Instructional and learner's friendly, but education text Materials are
Conventional. Distance materials are also help to learners self
evaluation.
3. of curse, Team approach
4. Some Writers received ID Training & they have been working in ODL
area but when they write a distance learning materials/text but not
follow the Criteria of distance learning materials/text why possible?
Thanks
Akhand
CAMPE

missan

Feb 6, 2008, 8:38:29 AM2/6/08
to Bagladesh Open School
Dear Akhand,
You are right in your observation that many do not use the learning
they have on how to distance learning materials. This is a major
problem face by many of us, as preparig distance learning materials
take time and effort. In order to compete the task quickly people tend
to leave the principles.

I am now in Dhaka, and shall meet some of you in next three days,
before the face to face workshop starts.

with regards, Sanjaya

On Feb 6, 1:17 pm, "Minanoor Rahman Akhand" <akh...@campebd.org>