A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - February 22, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Feb 11, 2015, 3:08:20 PM2/11/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Gospel, Mark 1:9-15 for the Lent 1, series B,
February 22, 2015.

It is from Solid Declaration, Article IV, page 550.

Repentance is always an important element of the Kingdom of God.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Lent%201,%20B,G.doc
.. a reading formatted for a 14" Premium Bulletin is available
by contacting us.

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@bookofconcord.org

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
LENT 1, SERIES B
SOLID DECLARATION
ARTICLE IV, GOOD WORKS

"The one who endures to the end will be saved" (Matthew 24:13).
Also, "For we share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original
confidence firm to the end" (Hebrews 3:14). We must explain
well how righteousness and salvation are preserved in us, lest
salvation be lost again.

This false Epicurean delusion is to be rebuked and rejected:
some imagine that faith, and the righteousness and salvation
that they have received, cannot be lost through sins or wicked
deeds, not even through willful and intentional ones. They
imagine that a Christian retains faith, God's grace,
righteousness, and salvation even though he indulges his wicked
lusts without fear and shame, resists the Holy Spirit, and
purposely engages in sins against conscience.

Against this deadly delusion the following true, unchangeable,
divine threats and severe punishments and warnings should be
repeated often and impressed upon Christians who are justified
through faith:

Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters,
nor adulterers … will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians
6:9-10)

Those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
(Galatians 5:21; see also Ephesians 5:5)

If you live according to the flesh you will die. (Romans 8:13)
(paragraphs 30-32)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-02-22