A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - September 20, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Sep 9, 2015, 8:20:05 AM9/9/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Jeremiah 11:18-20 for the Pentecost 17,
Proper 20, series B, September 20, 2015.

It is from Large Catechism, Part IV, Baptism.

There are times when our safety or understanding are beyond our
capabilities and we must commit and completely entrust
everything to God's judgment and mercy, as the prophet Jeremiah
did.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2020%20B,OT.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 17, PROPER 20, SERIES B
LARGE CATECHISM
PART IV, BAPTISM

The objection of the sectarians is empty. Even though infants
did not believe (which, however, is not the case), still their
Baptism would be valid. No one should rebaptize infants.
Nothing is taken away from the Sacrament even though someone
approaches it with evil purpose. So he could not be allowed to
take it a second time the self-same hour on account of his
abuse, as though he had not received the true Sacrament at
first. That would blaspheme and profane the Sacrament in the
worst way. How dare we think that God's Word and ordinance
should be wrong and invalid because we make a wrong use of it?

If you did not believe then, believe now and say this: The
Baptism certainly was right. But I, unfortunately, did not
receive it aright. All who are baptized, must say this before
God, "I come here in my faith. Yet I cannot rest in this, that
I believe, and that many people pray for me. But in this I
rest, that Baptism is Your Word and command. It is just like
when I go to the Sacrament trusting not in my faith, but in
Christ's Word. Whether I am strong or weak, I commit that to
God. But I know this, that He asks me to go, to eat and to
drink, and He gives me His body and blood. That will not
deceive me or prove false to me."

So likewise in infant Baptism we bring the child solely because
of God's command because we know that God does not lie. God's
Word cannot err. (paragraphs 55-57)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-09-20