A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - August 16, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Aug 5, 2015, 8:20:04 AM8/5/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Proverbs 9:1-10 for the Pentecost 12, series
B, August 16, 2015.

It is from Large Catechism, Lord's Prayer, pages 417-418.

Wisdom is a marvelous virtue when one fears the Lord, has good
judgment and productive efforts. It is appropriate that we ask
God to give our civil authorities wisdom, strength and success.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2015%20B,OT.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 12, SERIES B
LARGE CATECHISM
PART III PRAYER

It would be very proper to place on the coat of arms of every
pious prince a loaf of bread instead of a lion, or impress it on
money. This would remind both princes and their subjects that by
their office we have protection and peace. Without them, we
could not eat our daily bread. Princes are worthy of honor. We
should give to them for their office what we ought, as to people
through whom we enjoy peace and quietness. We should pray for
them that through them God may bestow more blessings and goods.

This petition [Give us this day our daily bread] extends through
all conditions on earth, like when we ask God to give us food and
drink, clothing, house and home, and health of body. Or when we
ask that He cause the grain and fruit of the field to grow and
mature well. Furthermore, we ask that He help us at home with
good housekeeping and that He give and preserve for us a godly
wife, children, and servants. We ask that He cause all we are
engaged in to prosper and succeed, favor us with faithful
neighbors and good friends. We ask that He give wisdom,
strength, and success to emperors, kings, and especially to the
rulers of our country and to all counselors, magistrates, and
officers. Then they may govern well and vanquish the Turks and
all enemies. We ask that He give to subjects and the common
people obedience, peace, and harmony in their life with one
another. (paragraphs 75-77)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-08-16