A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - July 19, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Jul 8, 2015, 8:20:04 AM7/8/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Jeremiah 23:1-6 for the Pentecost 8, series
B, July 19, 2015.

It is from Apology of the Augsburg Confession, Article IV, pages
100, 102.

God promised for David a righteous branch to be called "The Lord
is our righteousness" who makes us righteous.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2011%20B,OT.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 8, SERIES B
APOLOGY OF THE AUGSBURG CONFESSION
ARTICLE IV, JUSTIFICATION

Because faith receives forgiveness of sins and reconciles us to
God, we are ‹like Abraham› counted as righteous for Christ's
sake before we love and do the works of the Law.

This faith alone receives forgiveness of sins, makes us
acceptable to God, and brings the Holy Spirit. It could be
called "grace making one pleasing to God".

We receive forgiveness of sins for Christ's sake through faith
alone. We are justified, that is, unrighteous people are made
righteous. The knowledge of this faith is necessary. Because
Christ's office is recognized in this alone, we receive Christ's
benefits by this alone. Only this teaching brings sure and firm
consolation to pious minds. In the Church there must be the
teaching by which the pious may receive the sure hope of
salvation. For the adversaries give people bad advice when they
tell them to doubt whether they receive forgiveness of sins. How
will such persons sustain themselves in death who have heard
nothing of this faith and think that they ought to doubt whether
they receive forgiveness of sins? The promise is that sins are
freely forgiven for Christ's sake. Those who teach nothing of
this faith we speak about, completely abolish the Gospel. Our
adversaries reject this faith. By rejecting this faith they
abolish the entire promise about the free forgiveness of sins
and the righteousness of Christ. (paragraphs
114, 116-121)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-07-19