A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - July 5, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Jul 7, 2015, 5:36:41 PM7/7/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the 2 Corinthians 12:1-10 for the Sixth Sunday
after Pentecost, series B, July 5, 2015.

It is from Apology of the Augsburg Confession, Article XIIB, page
181.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%209,%20B,E.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
SIXTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST, SERIES B
APOLOGY OF THE AUGSBURG CONFESSION
ARTICLE XIIB, CONFESSION AND SATISFACTION

Although troubles still remain, Scripture interprets these not as
the prices for eternal death.

Troubles are not always punishments or signs of wrath. Indeed,
terrified consciences should be taught that there are more
important purposes for afflictions, so that they do not think
God is rejecting them when they see nothing but God's punishment
and anger in troubles. The other more important purposes are to
be considered, that is, that God is doing His strange work so
that He may be able to do His own work, as Isaiah 28 teaches.
When the disciples asked about the blind man who sinned, Christ
replies that the cause of his blindness is not sin, but that
"the works of God might be displayed in him" (John 9:2-3). In
Jeremiah it is said, "If those who did not deserve to drink the
cup must drink it …" (49:12). So the prophets, John the
Baptist, and other saints were killed. Therefore, troubles are
not always punishments for certain past deeds, but they are
Godworks, intended for our benefit, and that God's power might
be made more apparent in our weakness.

Paul says God's strength "is made perfect in weakness" (2
Corinthians 12:9). Because of God's will, our bodies should be
sacrifices, to declare our obedience, and not to pay for eternal
death. God has another price for that: the death of His own Son.
(paragraphs 60-63)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-07-05